13604Re: [aprsisce] TNC Wiki - Kenwood TM-D710 Port (APRS mode)

    Nov 2, 2011
      You are correct, and it's my bad for not going to actually eye-ball my own D700.  There's a TNC Packet mode and TNC APRS modes.  It must be in the Packet mode in order for APRSISCE/32 to talk to it.

      On 11/2/2011 11:09 PM, kb8uih@... wrote:
      Hi, according to my D700 manual the radio has to be in "Packet" mode before an external software can control it. Just putting it in TNC mode let's its internal firmware control its APRS functions. These are two different parameters for the radio. Unless you have a workarond with your software, it won't work when connected to APRSICE 32

      Sent from my BlackBerry® powered by Virgin Mobile.

      From: "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...>
      Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 22:46:10 -0400
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] TNC Wiki - Kenwood TM-D710 Port (APRS mode)

      D710s, using the Kwd710(APRS) and Kwd710(TNC) options in APRSISCE/32 can theoretically be in any mode when you start APRSISCE/32 or enable the port.  A collection of command provided by Kai Gunter Brandt attempts to get the radio to switch to the proper mode regardless of where it started.  D72s, I've heard, have the same feature when using one of these modes.

      D7s and D700s, AFAIK, need to be in TNC mode to do anything, BEFORE starting APRSISCE/32 or enabling the RF port.

      On 11/2/2011 9:35 PM, kb8uih@... wrote: Kenwood needs to be in "Packet" mode to be controlled by outside program. Has Lynn made a work around for this?

      Sent from my BlackBerry® powered by Virgin Mobile.

      From: Stan Leeds <srkleeds@...>
      Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:51:58 -0400

      After seeing Steve's, G6UIM re-rendition of the Wiki page (looks good so far), I also visited the http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710
      Kenwood TM-D710 Port (APRS mode).

      It seemed it needed some menu options from the radio, so I thought I'd pass them on.

      [603] WAYPOINT
      FORMAT: Options are Kenwood, NMEA, Magellan
      NAME: Options are 6-CHAR, thru 9-CHAR
      OUTPUT: Options are ALL, LOCAL, FILTERED

      [604] COM PORT
      OUTPUT: Options are ON & OFF

      So for this Wiki page, my suggestions are:
      [603] WAYPOINT
      FORMAT: Kenwood
      NAME: 9-CHAR
      OUTPUT: ALL
      [604] COM PORT
      OUTPUT: ON

      My question is: What mode does the TNC on the radio need to be in when you connect?

      I have also tried the CONVERSE mode of talking with the radio, per a previous message from Lynn, which puts APRS32 in control of all functions and it seemed to worked.  But I have to revisit it to see what it was I did to make it work.

      I'm wanting both options to select for different purposes.

      Stan, KC7EHJ

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic