133Re: [aprsisce] Feedback solicitation

    Dec 12, 2009
      John Woods wrote:
      > The map display is great, but it's very pale on screen, it's quite
      > difficult to see map details clearly at a glance. Is it possible to
      > alter this from within the application?
      The left/right arrow keys will vary the transparency of the maps. It
      defaults to 50% which is why it appears pale. If you crank it down
      (left) to zero, expect to see your stations jump as it switches from a
      Mercatur Projection required by the maps to a circular distance and
      bearing display centered on the screen center. Make some rather
      interesting displays if you're connected to a full feed.

      (Incidentally, to see a full feed on the Win32 version, close the
      program, edit the APRSIS32.XML file in the directory with the .EXE and
      change the <APRSPort> from 14580 to 10152. You'll see TONS of stations
      RIPPING by!)

      > I'm not sure what the various boxes in the corners and at the bottom
      > of the screen do yet, I think I need to feed a GPS into the PC to
      > activate them. Would it be possible to have some stock text displayed
      > to inform the user what the boxes are for , even if they're not in use?
      > Would it be possible to put some basic documentation in the archive
      > along with the application for download?
      > .
      I've listed a pertinent part of APRSISCE.TXT from the Files section of
      the web site below. It talks about the various corners of the screen,
      but in a portrait orientation. If you have your View/Map/Wide checked,
      the screen layout should match the description.

      I'll see if I can maybe do a mouse-hover popup on them or something.
      However, once you learn which is what, any sort of popup or hover would
      simply get annoying. Read the text below and see if it answers your
      questions. I don't include this file in the release zip because it's
      right there in the Files section where you downloaded the .ZIP from.
      And you probably only need to read it once...

      > I don't own a phone that will support APRSISCE (yet!).
      > I'm looking forward to the RF enabled win32 version, it's great to see
      > new software being developed for APRS.
      I JUST got the KISS RF feeding APRS packets into the screen within the
      past 30 minutes. I've got too much hard-coded (like the BlueTooth
      serial port name) to release it just yet, and I want to have RF
      beaconing working as well. And I believe I need to support some KISS
      setup/takedown strings for those foolish TNCs that don't remember to
      stay in KISS mode when power is cycled.

      Can you all drop a note describing your APRS RF station and particularly
      the TNC you use and what it takes to enter and exit KISS mode? If you
      tell me what it takes, you improve the chances of having your TNC
      support on the first RF release of the program.

      Oh, and if all goes well, if you have a BlueTooth serial (rather than a
      true RS-232 port or a USB serial) adapter to connect to your TNC, the
      Windows Mobile version will also be able to do direct RF for those
      SmartPhone users without Internet access.

      > Thanks and regards - John G1EUH.
      You're welcome and thanks for the feedback and the questions!

      From APRSISCE.TXT in the Files section of teh Yahoo group (I have NOT
      recently read this for accuracy, but it should be close).

      Here are some notes about the other program features:

      Double-Clicking the top center rectangle will show a series of message boxes
      enumerating the connections configured on your device. This is for my
      debugging lost connections. - Note that in some network situations, the
      client may appear to hang for 30-60 seconds. You can access other
      applications on your phone and APRSISCE will eventually recover.

      Clicking an Icon in the center brings up a message box providing some data
      about who/what that thing is including range (distance) and bearing, their
      last known coordinates, and the time that information was received. The
      "via" in the title is the name of the IGate that ported that packet to

      The ± along the center of the left edge changes the zoom level for the
      circle. If you have up/down buttons or a thumb wheel, they may also drive
      the zoom. It defaults to 8 miles radius (16 miles across). Plus will
      increase the viewable range (zoom out - show more) and minus will decrease
      the viewable range (zoom in - show fewer). The icons will automatically
      shrink if you zoom out really far.

      The upper left corner shows the "local" stations as they report in. You can
      double-click any one of these to see the same information accessible from
      the center circle.

      The upper right corner shows your speed and immediately under that is your
      heading. Below that is an accumulated odometer. Double-clicking the
      odometer will offer to clear it along with your current track (the black
      line drawn in the center circle when you move).

      The bars on the right are (from outside (right) to inside): current battery
      state, number of track points accumulated, and number of stations stored.
      If the station bar goes full range and red, it starts replacing the oldest
      station. The program is currently built to hold
      128 stations.

      The box in the lower right corner shows the status of the GPS fix and the
      bars along the bottom show the satellites in use and in view.

      Above the satellites in the lower left corner is your altitude with
      background color bars showing the vertical and horizontal DOP (dilution of

      Above the altitude and below the ± bar is the current zoom radius in miles
      or feet (with a ').

      If you double-click a station that APRSISCE believes can receive messages,
      you can send it a message. To send a message to any station, use Menu/Send
      Message from the lower right corner. Select or key in the To: callsign and
      enter your desired text. A pop-up will appear when/if you receive an Ack.

      Received messages will be accessible in the upper left corner box
      immediately below the scrolling incoming stations. Double-click it if it
      goes green to read your messages and optionally reply.
    • Show all 34 messages in this topic