      From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Sent: 03 October 2011 15:41
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Request GPS sharing

      Apparently gpsd supports serving the position data via a TCP port (See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aprsisce/message/12855).  If that's a simple telnet port to which you can connect to receive NMEA strings with <CR><LF> delimiters, it could be useful.  However, I suspect gpsd's TCP/IP connection, is some sort of internal protocol used to distribute their "cleaned up" position data to "protect" applications from "broken" NMEA data sources.  I'm guessing it's unlikely that a tool designed to fix NMEA data is not likely to redistribute the fixed data via as broken a protocol as they're trying to fix.

      Please don't take offense at my reluctance to tap into gpsd, but from what I've read it's an application designed and implemented by position purists.  Personally, outside of a few instances, I've not had any issues handling NMEA from various devices without major issue.  I may not be using all of the data that's available, but I'm using enough to get APRS-compatible precision of the current location.  And I'm sure that when my phone's internal GPS decides that we're winging out over the Atlantic or the Gulf, aprsd would go right along with it because that's the position solution the GPS is putting out.  It's a problem at the source, not in the communication of the position data.

      On 10/3/2011 10:07 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:

      All I really wanted to do was feed the GPS that’s attached to G6UIM through to my G6UIM-6 instance. I have looked and have yet to find a virtual com port that works on windows 7 x64.

      Or allow it to access gpsd which would accomplish that a a lot more.

      But I do understand if that’s not going to happen

      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

      From: Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...>
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, October 3, 2011, 7:47 AM

      Is it their own or a freely available driver that they simply bundled into their distribution?  If the latter, you can always go get that one and install it yourself, or install HRD and use it for anything.

      Anyone that can handle the complex configurations that become possible with virtual port drivers can probably handle the acquisition and installation of that driver separately from APRSISCE/32 which I really want to keep focused.

      On 10/2/2011 11:11 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:

      Ham Radio Deluxe comes with a virtual com port driver.

      As for additional NMEA ports, I think GPSd could supply GPS data to multiple devices through TCP/IP.  I see that is one of the port options for NMEA.  I'll have to connect a GPS to one of Linux machines (maybe OpenWRT) and give that a try.  Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until morning.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO