12868Re: [aprsisce] Request GPS sharing

    Oct 3, 2011
      Haven't tried it, and may not get to it, but any driver from 2005 that is unsupported by the author is highly unlikely to work in Windows 7 64bit or any other Operating System version that requires signed device drivers.

      (Avoiding such dependencies but simply not going there and leaving something for other developers to handle)

      On 10/3/2011 9:14 AM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
      The about says it is N8VB vCOM Virtual Serial Port Driver.
      It also seems to be around SDR websites

      Although I never found a direct answer, it appears to be free.
      There is reference to "unsupported by Author - N8VB Phip A. Covington".
        That was 2005!

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO

      --- On Mon, 10/3/11, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      From: Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...>
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Request GPS sharing
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, October 3, 2011, 7:47 AM

      Is it their own or a freely available driver that they simply bundled into their distribution?  If the latter, you can always go get that one and install it yourself, or install HRD and use it for anything.

      Anyone that can handle the complex configurations that become possible with virtual port drivers can probably handle the acquisition and installation of that driver separately from APRSISCE/32 which I really want to keep focused.

      On 10/2/2011 11:11 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
      Ham Radio Deluxe comes with a virtual com port driver.

      As for additional NMEA ports, I think GPSd could supply GPS data to multiple devices through TCP/IP.  I see that is one of the port options for NMEA.  I'll have to connect a GPS to one of Linux machines (maybe OpenWRT) and give that a try.  Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until morning.

      Robert Giuliano
      KB8RCO