12850Re: [aprsisce] Request GPS sharing

    Oct 2, 2011
      On 10/2/2011 9:22 PM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:

      > Or NMEA over a virtual COM port. With that, I could run my mapping
      > program concurrently with APRSIS/32 and the mapping program could get
      > lat/lon from the GPS via APRSIS/32.
      >
      > Bob...
      >
      > P.S. NMEA over a virtual COM port is another UI-View feature.

      Please define a "virtual COM port". To me it means that UI-View
      includes drivers that create additional COMn devices within Windows that
      when a program opens one of those "virtual COM ports", NMEA data is
      magically there. I suspect that's not what you mean by the same term.

      More likely, UI-View's feature is just what was originally request, a
      new port type in APRSISCE/32 that can be configured as any one of my
      three (currently) physical ports (TCP/IP, Bluetooth, and COMn) such that
      wherever APRSISCE/32 is getting it's GPS data from, NMEA data is sent
      out to the new port type in a fashion similar to a downstream APRS-IS
      server.

      Now, if an enterprising person were to install a third-party "virtual
      COM port" driver, and subsequently configure one of those truly virtual
      ports in APRSISCE/32 to be an NMEA feed port, you'd have some
      inside-the-PC NMEA sharing capability between concurrently executing
      applications.

      I'm all interested to learn just what UI-View's "virtual COM port"
      really does, but I suspect it simply opens a COMn port and pumps NMEA
      data out via that port and any "virtualization" is up to other software.