12732RE: [aprsisce] MIC-E

    Sep 27, 2011
      Hi Ian,

      I am getting the right answers except for a couple of odd packets. The earlier packet works out to an altitude of beyond reality (3.28 million feet) in APRSIS32 and crashes my app. I suspect I have a buffer limitation which is easy to fix. Actually for that example I will eliminate the altitude data since it is bogus anyway. And, for my purposes, the altitude really doesn't matter anyway but it is nice to understand how it works.

           From my earlier email, "APRSIS32 reports 3280843 for the altitude".

      Thanks!

      From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ian Wade G3NRW
      Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 16:09
      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [aprsisce] MIC-E

      From: Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...>
      Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 Time: 12:19:13

      >I have been working on decoding
      MIC-E. Very clever indeed! For a better
      >appreciation of what Lynn is
      doing, you should take some time and work
      >some out on paper. I am having
      fun at at!

      Hi Fred

      Several years ago I wrote a couple of utilities that I found very useful
      in decoding APRS packets (including Mic-E), and encoding Mic-E packets.

      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/aprs.htm

      You will see all the details for decoding and encoding Mic-E in APRSDEC
      and MICENC. Try inputting your raw data to these two programs, and see
      if you come up with the same answers!

      --
      73
      Ian, G3NRW