1082Re: Love this over vi view

  • g4ilo
    Apr 8, 2010
      This idea of monolithic software that does everything is a Microsoft Windows abomination. The idea of windowing operating systems was supposed to be that you could have several windows, each standalone apps. But this idea has been lost since so many computer users have no experience of DOS where one program used the whole screen.

      I don't know, it just seems to me that Lynn didn't need to be spending his time writing something that other programs already exist to do.

      WOTA spots are sent as APRS bulletins, that's why it makes sense to see them in APRSISCE (and no special codimng is needed to support that since bulletins are a generic APRS feature.) I don't think DX spots use APRS, they use packet radio which is a different protocol.

      Julian, G4ILO

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Colin Catlin <colin2e0xsd@...> wrote:

      > Hi Julian,
      >
      > I would tend to agree that DX spotting hasn't got much to do with APRS
      > but I guess there are people who would like to use the same program for
      > APRS & DX spotting.
      >
      > And to play devils advocate, I don't think it is that much different to
      > using APRS for WOTA spotting.
      >

      > 73,
      > Colin.
      >

      > On 08/04/2010 15:36, g4ilo wrote:
      > >
      > > Gosh, Lynn, where have you been? :)
      > >
      > > Take a look at this: http://www.dxsummit.fi/DxSpots.aspx
      > > <http://www.dxsummit.fi/DxSpots.aspx> . This is just a web
      > > presentation of it. It's a system for allowing people who spot a DX
      > > station to inform others so that instead of having to work for DX
      > > contacts by tuning around and listening they can just click on a spot
      > > and call and create an instant pileup. This, I am reliably informed,
      > > is called "progress".
      > >
      > > The idea was dreamed up way before the internet and used packet radio,
      > > hence the original name "packet cluster."
      > >
      > > I don't think it has anything to do with APRS, and certainly shouldn't
      > > be on your ToDo list, especially as there are plenty of ways already
      > > to get DX Cluster spots on a WM phone.
      > >
      > > Julian, G4ILO
      > >
      > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > > I've heard references to "DX cluster", can you provide a short
      > > > description of what it is or a link to a good introductory page
      > > somewhere?
      > > >
      > > > Is this something that should go on the APRSISCE ToDo list?
      > > >
      > > > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic