10603Re: Kenwood D700 vs D710

  • apenadragon
    Jun 16, 2011
      Lynn,

      I have 3 D700's as my mobiles in all of my vehicles. I enjoy them, and they work just fine. although I've got enough interference off the engine componets of my Durango that the D700 has a hard time decoding packets that aren't S8 or better. The other two vehicle set ups do not have that issue.

      I keep watching for D710's on ebay and such other sites, if I can pick one up for the $400 range then I'll probably go for one, other than that, I'll be sticking with the D700's until they die. Yes that have some neat features that would be cool to have, like the tune button, and the auto frequency to comment, But I know what repeaters I hang out on the most, and I have those 3 programmed into my available comments, along with the e-mail that hit's my phone in one, and then I have another one to play with for when I'm traveling. With the ability to type via the keypad on the mic, and able to enter frequencies on the VFO the same way, it's not worth all that extra money IMHO.

      A D700 with a small netbook with APRSIS32 would take care of the smart beaconing function ;) hihi.

      Just my .02

      Adam
      KC2ANT