10601Re: [aprsisce] Windows Mobile / Portable Operation / HandHeld APRS radios?

  • Colin Catlin
    Jun 15, 2011
      APRSISCE works fine on my HP iPaqs with my Kenwood D7.
      My iPaqs have real serial ports, so it was just a matter of making up a DB9 to 2.5mm Jack (with a ferrite ring to keep the RF out) lead and the same lead can be used with my Home PC running APRSIS32 when I am at home.

      73,
      Colin.

      On 16/06/2011 02:01, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

      APRSISCE works fine on Windows Mobile and supports communications with
      any TNC to which you can establish a COM port or TCP/IP connection. In
      my case, I use a bluetooth to serial adapter to talk to an OT2m. W7BOZ
      has used a similar approach to talk to a Kenwood D7 (I think). The same
      thing should be possible with a D72. Someone over the pond used a
      TCP/IP serial port to connect to a D710 mobile.

      That covers the Kenwoods, the Yaesu's are a different story. The VX-8
      is completely closed and doesn't talk to the outside world. The FTM-350
      is supported but only receives. Yaesu doesn't support any
      externally-initiated transmissions.

      If you've got specific questions, I'm sure someone can help you with the
      details. But the general answer to your general question is "yes".

      PS. I'm going to try a completely different approach with a Boefang
      (sp?) UV-3R HT coupled to a TT4 coupled to a bluetooth to serial adapter
      paired to my WinMo phone with APRSISCE. The advantage I see to this, if
      it works, is that the entire suite will run on a single 5 volt supply.
      I'm determined to come up with a small enough package to go hiking
      with. Oh, and replace the bluetooth to serial with a BR-355 NMEA GPS
      (also 5v) and you've got a small form factor (relatively)
      self-contained, single powered RF tracker.

      On 6/15/2011 9:49 PM, Jeff Nawrot wrote:
      > Has anyone made this work with a Windows Mobile Device and any of the
      > new Portable APRS radios from Yaesu or Kenwood?

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic