10586Re: [aprsisce] Kenwood D700 vs D710

  • Bill V WA7NWP
    Jun 14, 2011
      With the D700 you'll have rig control and data over the same serial
      (BT) port. I don't know if that is at all possible with the D710.
      On the other hand the D710 has 'bigger buffers' so if you want to do
      non-APRS real packet data (bbs messages, tcpip, etc) the D710 will
      work where the D700/D7 require severe flow throttling. I believe
      both suffer from the design flaw where the rigs will respond to
      control sequences IN the data payload. (Anybody want to change the
      frequency of all the D700's on 144.39 at the same time? :-) )

      For a home APRS station, I think the D700 may be better then the D710.
      For a home "Packet" station, the D710 would probably be best.

      Bill - WA7NWP

      On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      <kj4erj@...> wrote:

      > Ok, I know there's some of you out there that own Kenwood D700s and/or
      > D710s. I'm trying to figure out if it's time to purchase one or the
      > other and if the $$$ difference is worth the functionality.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic