10383RE: [aprsisce] Re: Aprsisce digi capable..

    Jun 1, 2011
      Hi Adam,

      If you had been reading previous posts then the thinking will be minimal. It may not even produce smoke from the ears. :)

      I will tell you it works great. I have no SIM card in my phone so it is now only a mobile platform. I turned off W-Fi since I am never really using it near my network. That cured my BT/Wi-Fi contention. BT lost!

      I am using the Roving Networks RN-240M but I think Lynn is using a IOGear Bluetooth module. I was ordering other stuff from mouser so I added it.

      The GPS on the mobile platform works so another GPS is not really needed. The TNC only needs KISS.

      The Tilt does have a GPS antenna port but I have not found the HTC antenna or looked for a 3rd party antenna. Inside a car, on the roads I have traveled so far, reception has not been an issue. I do not have heavy woods with rain testing in yet. It does appear to shut off if I don't hit a key but I may have caused that by changing a setting.

      The thick tree cover wet with rain is the reason I picked up an amplified antenna for my usual GPS. FIXes are fixed now!

      APRSISCE is not GPS software, so I for now I will still use my usual GPS. The usual GPS does all the normal stuff a GPS is good for. Waypoints and tracking are two items that I depend on. Yeah, I know that waypoints can be APRSISCE non-RF objects and I have played with that a bit. APRSISCE will also record a track but not what I desire. This not an issue since the usual GPS does that just fine.

      Although, I found MapWM which will record a track which can be later uploaded directly to their web site. It can be downloaded in a couple of different formats later. A GPX file is one format made available which is what I use. This last weekend I was on a road that was not in the OSM database. I will attempt to update using the MapWM output after I edit it a bit. There may be other GPS software that will emulate my Garmin. I haven't looked very hard for it yet. Between APRSISCE with objects and MapWM for track recording, the usual GPS could stay home. Nah!

      APRSISCE and MapWM can access the Mobile Platform GPS concurrently. This is nice! From what I can tell, a BT GPS could also be used and shared the same way. I have not been successful nor tried for more than a couple of minutes. I was actually using my Garmin connected to my BT module. I may get back it to it later but for now, the GPS in the Mobile Platform works fine. WinMo has to be adjusted for the external GPS and I did not have it set correctly.

      I picked up an 8GB uSD card and set the tile structure very similar to my desktop machine. The quickest way I found is to put the SD card into the desktop and load it, but other options will work. I may add a 32GB card in the future. Not that it is needed for maps unless...

      I use the Active Sync software from Microsoft. When that connection is running, tiles can be loaded through the desktop directly using APRSISCE.