1001Re: Mo'features requested

  • Broncus
    Apr 2, 2010

      > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      > > Another feature request:
      > > Show position while moving cursor about the map.
      > > Show position at current GPS position.
      >
      > Show position where exactly? The screen is getting pretty crowded. As
      > for the "current GPS position", just bring up the Station Info popup on
      > Me? or you want to be able to see it without having Me on the map?
      > Would, say, adding it to the Dilution of Precision popup (double-click
      > the Altitude box) be good enough for the current GPS position?

      Well, it could be one of those things the user selects to view or not, like the satellite info. Above or below the satellite data would work for me. I rarely view the satellite information anyway. I would only like the data for the cursor position.

      > > Allow user to select which position format; DDD.ddddd, DDMM.mmmm,
      > > Maidenhead (min 6 places). Multiple formats at a time would be a extra
      > > option, such as, DDD.ddddd and Maidenhead.
      >
      > Maybe, but there's enough confusion around already that I'm really
      > tending to keep it all ddd mm.mm in true APRS fashion. I'll think about
      > it. I already have Maidenhead on the list (that's the same as Grid
      > Locator, right? I though 6 was the maximum? Like mine is EL97qx?)

      I suspect that if you are doing distance calculations, then you are using DDD.ddddd anyway. Adding that to the list just means more education for those that don't get it. I am willing to help there.

      A GPS will provide location in a plethora of formats. I use the three above the most and occasionally UTM.

      With maidenhead, the number of characters is only limited by how much one wants to code. I have calculated out to at least 8 and maybe 10. The more places, the more precision. Of course there not any reason to calculate beyond the precision of the data source (GPS). If I had my wish, the number of characters would match the GPS and the user could than select 4, 6, 8 or ... depending on need. I actually have MH selected on my PS right now and it displays 6 characters. I would like 8. :)

      > > Just like Lays potato chips, can't have just one:
      > > The ability to click on a point on the map to add; waypoint (save to
      > > GPX file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).
      > > The ability to add at the current GPS position; waypoint (save to GPX
      > > file), object (semi-permanent or temporary).
      > >
      > > Semi-permanent means one that is sent on a regular basis until it is
      > > deleted. This could be a field day set up, repeater, etc.
      > > Temporary means an object that is sent a couple of times (to insure
      > > throughput) to indicate something of temporary status, such as an
      > > traffic accident or fire.
      >
      > All part of Objects when I get to that one on the list. I'll keep your
      > e-mail around for details.
      >
      > > Thanks!
      >
      > You're welcome. Keep the ideas coming, I'll keep the list going and
      > they'll get done someday!
      >
      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

      Thanks!