More Evidence for Intelligent Design: the Epi-genome

  • nooge5676
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2013
      In 2003, the mapping of the human genome (human DNA) was completed but the
      medical breakthroughs in treatment of disease promised by the genome
      project have been few. How could this be? We have the blueprints for the human
      body all spelled out. Although we have some new drugs and a few new genetic
      therapies we don't have the revolutionizing of medicine that some pundits

      The reason is that biological researchers have found yet another layer of
      encyclopedic human design information that lies separate from the DNA yet
      instructs the DNA on how to function. This newly discovered super-layer of
      design information is called the epigenome. The name "epigenome" is derived
      from the Greek word "epi" which means "above," "over," and "outer," and is
      added as a prefix to "genome" hence "epi-genome."

      As if the DNA molecule was not complex enough, we now have another layer
      of complexity called the epigenome! This makes the secular materialist claim
      that the first living cell formed by random collisions of atoms even more

      Biologist Richard Sternberg has done groundbreaking research on
      epigenetics. In order to make Sternberg's research accessible to the layman, authors
      Thomas E. Woodward and James P. Gills have written a new book titled The
      Mysterious Epigenome: What Lies Beyond DNA (Kregel Publications, Grand
      Rapids, MI, USA).

      What Sternberg and other biologists and geneticists have found is that the
      DNA molecule, with all its myriad complexity and precise nucleotide base
      pair sequencing, is merely like a computer hard drive. The epigenome is like
      the software that instructs and enables the DNA hard drive to execute
      commands to form proteins, RNA and other cell components and to build the cell.

      The epigenome guides the expression of genes which is the ability to
      switch genes on and off. This enables the differentiation of cells from the
      embryonic state to the more than two hundred cell types in the human body. Each
      of us has roughly sixty trillion cells and each of these cells requires
      the epigenome to tell the DNA which genes are to be expressed and how and

      The following explanation of the role and structure of the epigenome is
      quoted from page 93 of Woodward and Gills' book:

      "[T]he living cell possesses vast riches of life enabling codes, which go
      far beyond the spiral thread of DNA itself. Information, in a diversity of
      usable forms, is lodged in virtually every corner of the cell, from the
      outer cortex to the centrosome, with its system of microtubules, to the
      histomes, with their decorated tails, to the methylation patterns attached to
      DNA. The mutual integration of these systems and layers of information is a
      marvel to behold. Unraveling these complex relationships will surely occupy
      the diligent study of biologists for decades to come."

      Biologists affiliated with the Seattle based Discovery Institute have
      emphasized that the new discoveries related to the epigenome enhance the
      concept of the irreducible complexity of the cell. Irreducible complexity is a
      concept that biologist Michael Behe explained in his book Darwin's Black Box.
      Irreducible complexity is the claim that all of the components of the cell
      must be present and functional in one place at one time and be assembled
      correctly for the formation of the first living cell. It requires an
      Intelligent Designer (Creator) to do this.

      Needless to say, the presence of the astoundingly complex epigenome
      strains the credulity of any conceivable Darwinian mechanism for the natural,
      unguided formation of the first living cell. Darwinism has been dealt a heavy
      blow by this emerging field of epigenetics. Darwinists have never been able
      to adequately explain how DNA and RNA, which are extremely complex
      molecules, could ever form by the churning of atoms in the primordial ooze. How
      can they even begin to formulate a mechanism on which to base a claim for the
      random formation of the epigenome? These new developments should cause
      many more researchers to jettison Darwinism altogether.

      Woodward and Gills put it this way in their book: "This higher level of
      integrated complexity adds an additional dimension of apparent design to
      anyone who is not closed off to such a possibility by their personal worldview
      or metaphysical commitments." (pp. 113-114)

      As the case for philosophical atheism and materialism falls apart, many in
      our secular society are taking another look at Christianity. The Bible
      teaches that God reveals Himself through nature. The complex nature of the
      cell certainly argues for the need of a Creator. However there are many faiths
      that claim to speak for the Creator. Bible based Christianity is different
      from all other faiths in that it presents rational proofs of its verity in
      the form of the many hundreds of fulfilled Bible prophecies and the many
      thousands of miracles that have occurred in the name of Christ down through
      history and even today. Christianity is a faith but not a blind faith.

      Jesus Christ, the promised Messiah of Israel, came in fulfillment of over
      300 Old Testament messianic prophecies. The prophecies predicted that
      Christ would suffer and die, taking upon Himself the penalty of our sins and
      then rise from the dead bringing forgiveness and eternal life to all who call
      upon Him. Call upon the name of the Lord Jesus today to receive forgiveness
      of sins!

      Much of the information in this article is from a review of Woodward and
      Gills book titled "Tom Woodward's 'The Mysterious Epigenome:' Effectively
      Popularizing Richard Sternberg's Revolutionary Thesis" published on the
      Intelligent Design page of ww.evolutionnews.org.

      Steps to salvation:
      Jesus said "Ye must be born again." (John 3:7)
      1) Believe that God created you and loves you and sent the Messiah
      (Messiah is Hebrew for Christ) to redeem you.
      2) Believe that Jesus the Messiah came in fulfillment of over 300 Bible
      prophecies to die for you and take upon Himself the penalty of your sins.
      (Isaiah 53:5-6, John 6:29, Romans 4:5, First Peter 3:18)
      3) Turn from sin and call on the name of Jesus to receive forgiveness.
      (Romans 10:13)
      4) Receive Jesus as Savior and experience the new birth. (John 1:12, Acts
      5) Follow Him as Lord. (John 14:21)

      Prayer to receive salvation:
      "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Romans
      To receive the salvation that Jesus purchased for you at the terrible cost
      of His suffering and death on your behalf I invite you to pray this simple
      prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I thank you for sending Jesus, the promised
      Messiah, to die for my sins. I admit that I am a sinner. I repent of my
      sins and I ask for your forgiveness on the basis of the death and
      resurrection of Jesus Christ. I ask you to fill me with your Holy Spirit to empower me
      to serve you under the Lordship of Jesus Christ, Amen."

      If you prayed that prayer in the humble sincerity of your heart then you
      have received everlasting life, which includes power to live right in this
      life and entrance into heaven in the afterlife!

      Bill Nugent