Update on Controversy Over Blood & DNA Found in Dinosaur Bones

  • nooge5676
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
      We're closer to Jurassic Park. DNA has been found in dinosaur bones!

      In Montana in 2003, while excavating a Tyrannosaurus Rex leg bone from a
      precarious cliff, John R. Horner and his team of paleontologists did the
      unthinkable. They cut the bone in two. They said they had to cut it in order
      to remove it by helicopter.

      When they looked into the core of the bone they found something that was
      also unthinkable. They saw what appeared to be remnants of blood and soft
      tissue. They sent the find to Dr. Mary Schweitzer of the University of
      Montana who was a mainstream, evolution believing scientist who had discovered
      blood remnants in dinosaur bones in the past.

      Schweitzer and her team confirmed the finding of soft tissue and blood
      remnants in the bone. Being an evolutionist herself she was low key about the
      find yet it gained wide publicity even in the mainstream media. On March
      24, 2005, MSNBC aired a documentary about the find and showed Schweitzer
      dissolving tissue in EDTA which is a chemical that breaks down the hard calcium
      that surrounds the soft tissue. The TV documentary showed, in live action,
      the bending and flexing of the soft tissue from the dinosaur bone.

      There was a storm of controversy among old earth evolutionists who
      insisted that Schweitzer found nothing more than biofilm left by bacteria.
      Scientists know that no soft tissue of any kind could possibly be preserved in a
      dinosaur bone for 65 million years. Soft tissue is composed of highly
      complex and relatively unstable biopolymers such as proteins that would breakdown
      in far less time than even one million years. If it is indeed dinosaur
      soft tissue, then science will have to rethink the whole paradigm of the age
      of the dinosaurs and by extension, the age of the earth itself!

      Schweitzer defended her work and did even more in-depth chemical analysis
      of the contents of the centers of dinosaur bones. According to the article:
      "Molecular Analyses of Dinosaur Osteocytes Support the Presence of
      Endogenous Molecules" by M. H. Schweitzer et al. Bone, 52 no. 1 (2013): 414-423 as
      reported in Perspective, Answers Magazine, April-June 2013, 9-10,
      Schweitzer found bone forming cells, called osteocytes, that are found only in bony
      creatures and are not from bacteria. This clearly undermines the claim that
      the soft tissue is bacterial biofilm.

      Furthermore, she identified several proteins found only in bony creatures
      and most importantly, she found DNA. The DNA strands were identified as
      that which comes from a vertebrate and hence not bacterial in origin. The
      Perspective column in Answers cited above, cites scientific studies that show
      that even under laboratory conditions DNA is unstable and breaks down
      quickly. One study of dated fossils showed a DNA half life of just 521 years. The
      presence of dinosaur DNA strongly refutes the bacterial biofilm theory.

      Most dinosaur bones are not really fossilized in the sense of
      Petrification. Petrification occurs when silica infiltrates bone and dissolves away the
      calcium and replaces it with rock hard silicon. Petrification can happen
      quickly and has been seen to happen rapidly in modern times in a situation
      of hot volcanic ash. Most of the dinosaur bones you see in museum displays
      are not petrified but are composed of the calcium and phosphorous of natural
      bone.

      Blood remnants and soft tissue remains have been found in dinosaur bones
      of several species. This is inferential proof that dinosaur bones could not
      possibly be even one million years old. The young earth creationist
      position is that dinosaur carcasses were buried by sediments such as sand, clay
      and lime rapidly, soon after death. These vast sedimentary deposits were laid
      down by the worldwide flood of Noah's day that killed large numbers of
      land creatures. The sediments that buried the dinosaur carcasses hardened into
      sandstone and limestone. The biblical flood occurred, according to the
      Bible's timeline, less than 5,000 years ago. This is consistent with the
      finding of small remnants of blood, soft tissue and DNA in dinosaur bones.

      We have proof of the young age of dinosaurs and this, of course, wildly
      throws off the old earth evolutionary timeline. If dinosaurs lived, in large
      numbers, as recently as five thousand years ago it gives compelling proof
      that dinosaurs and other creatures did not evolve over eons of time.
      Dinosaurs, like all creatures, were created by God in fairly recent time.

      A young age of dinosaurs is consistent with a young age of earth but the
      young age of earth itself must be established by the many other scientific
      avenues of proof. I've written about many young earth proofs in previous DTF
      articles. One such proof of young earth is the rapid rate of the decline
      of the strength of the earth's magnetic field. The earth's magnetic field
      has a half life of about 1400 years. If you extrapolate back just 20,000
      years, the earth's magnetic field would have been so strong back then as a
      starting point, that the earth's magnetic field would have been as strong as
      that of a magnetic star. The high heat of such a strong magnetic field would
      have made life impossible. The magnetic field caps earth's age at about
      10,000 years or less.

      The age of earth of less than 10,000 years is fatal to Darwinism which
      requires millions of years for life to evolve. Unfortunately, the concept of
      young earth is so far outside the mainstream of modern thought that even to
      talk about young earth will sometimes alienate your listeners. As the
      mounting evidence for young earth piles up I'm confident that eventually the
      persistent mindset of old earth uniformitarianism will be reversed both in
      academia and among operational geologists.

      The upshot is that the earth itself is evidence of the actions of the
      Creator. We must honor the Creator and be prepared to meet Him in the
      afterlife. The Bible declares that Jesus of Nazareth is the promised Messiah of
      Israel. The fact that Jesus is Messiah is backed up by His fulfillment of over
      300 Old Testament prophecies and by other supernatural, miraculous signs.
      Jesus died for our sins, taking upon Himself the penalty we deserved for
      our sins. Forgiveness is found only through Christ. Call upon Jesus today to
      receive forgiveness of sins.

      Steps to salvation:
      Jesus said "Ye must be born again." (John 3:7)
      1) Believe that God created you and loves you and sent the Messiah
      (Messiah is Hebrew for Christ) to redeem you.
      2) Believe that Jesus the Messiah came in fulfillment of over 300 Bible
      prophecies to die for you and take upon Himself the penalty of your sins.
      (Isaiah 53:5-6, John 6:29, Romans 4:5, First Peter 3:18)
      3) Turn from sin and call on the name of Jesus to receive forgiveness.
      (Romans 10:13)
      4) Receive Jesus as Savior and experience the new birth. (John 1:12, Acts
      2:38)
      5) Follow Him as Lord. (John 14:21)

      Prayer to receive salvation:
      "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Romans
      10:13)
      To receive the salvation that Jesus purchased for you at the terrible cost
      of His suffering and death on your behalf I invite you to pray this simple
      prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I thank you for sending Jesus, the promised
      Messiah, to die for my sins. I admit that I am a sinner. I repent of my
      sins and I ask for your forgiveness on the basis of the death and
      resurrection of Jesus Christ. I ask you to fill me with your Holy Spirit to empower me
      to serve you under the Lordship of Jesus Christ, Amen."

      If you prayed that prayer in the humble sincerity of your heart then you
      have received everlasting life, which includes power to live right in this
      life and entrance into heaven in the afterlife!

      (C) 2013 William P. Nugent, permission granted to email or republish if
      credit given.

    • Alice Robertson
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
        This was interesting. I just attended an Answers in Genesis conference at
        my church and I think they did a great job of showing that the old earth
        concept is being disproven by Science (which many believe will discredit
        God. NPR just hosted a conference by that name with Dinesh D'Sousa and it
        is worth watching online). I, also, enjoyed reading why RC Sproul changed
        his views from old earth to young earth.

        God bless, Alice

      • twotweny
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 10:43 AM
          How Hillarious!

          Why:
          1) Last month I listend to the book "Tyrannosaurus Cayon" on CD. While the explorers did not find DNA, it was a fictional book about finding a nearly intect T-rex in New Mexico.

          2) I saw Jurrasic Park in 3D IMax about a month ago. Save your money -- watch it on cable.

          But back to the point. About 6 or 7 years ago I listened to a D.James Kenney radio show where he had an guest whose speciality was old bones and fossils. He was on for two shows talking about how bone grouth, rickets, malnutrition have accounted for most of the scientific "evidence" for the "original humans," the "neanderthal/cave" man skeletons that (in quotes because of the high enought of debate among scientists on this).

          According to this guy, teeth and certain bones in humans can grow indefinitely. And if one is to the believe the Genesis account of people living hundreds of years at a time, this "extreme" bone growth would account for the different form these cave humans had. Also, that some bone diseases were documented to make modern human bone appear exactly like the ones many scientists claim came from "pre humuans." So, these weren't a different subset or progenitor to humans, they were just really old humans, of which some had bone diseases.

          Did any of you hear this show? Because I can not remember this guy's name, or the dates of the show, just that it was one the radio show D. James Kennedy (Truths That Transform?) used to do before he died. I wanted to get the podcast of the broadcast, but could never get the right dates.
          But I believe it was around Mid August 2006.

          --- In apologetics@yahoogroups.com, B1E1Nugent@... wrote:

> [...]
          > 10:13)
          > To receive the salvation that Jesus purchased for you at the terrible cost
          > of His suffering and death on your behalf I invite you to pray this simple
          > prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I thank you for sending Jesus, the promised
          > Messiah, to die for my sins. I admit that I am a sinner. I repent of my
          > sins and I ask for your forgiveness on the basis of the death and
          > resurrection of Jesus Christ. I ask you to fill me with your Holy Spirit to empower me
          > to serve you under the Lordship of Jesus Christ, Amen."
          >

          > If you prayed that prayer in the humble sincerity of your heart then you
          > have received everlasting life, which includes power to live right in this
          > life and entrance into heaven in the afterlife!
          >
          > (C) 2013 William P. Nugent, permission granted to email or republish if

        • geoff Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1 11:09 AM
            From the point of view of the creationists, (I count myself among them), the long jeopardy of humans in the early days of the bible, would be due to the fact that the blood lines would have been pure and unsullied by the blood diseases of today, resulting in the varied myriads diseases and genetic mix we now pass on to our kids. Nor would their blood have been full of the many drugs that cause many of today’s disorders and conditions passed from generation to generation, that result in many of the genetic accidents we now have in our bodies. The air they breathed would have been unpolluted by the chemicals, carbon monoxides and many other pollutants that modern man creates and breathe, resulting in several respiratory diseases we all fight. Even the food they collected and cooked for eating would have been easier to digest and utilise in and by the human body.

            Yours in Christ,

            Geoff

            --- In mailto:apologetics%40yahoogroups.com, B1E1Nugent@... wrote:

> [...]
            > 10:13)
            > To receive the salvation that Jesus purchased for you at the terrible cost
            > of His suffering and death on your behalf I invite you to pray this simple
            > prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I thank you for sending Jesus, the promised
            > Messiah, to die for my sins. I admit that I am a sinner. I repent of my
            > sins and I ask for your forgiveness on the basis of the death and
            > resurrection of Jesus Christ. I ask you to fill me with your Holy Spirit to empower me
            > to serve you under the Lordship of Jesus Christ, Amen."
            >

            > If you prayed that prayer in the humble sincerity of your heart then you
            > have received everlasting life, which includes power to live right in this
            > life and entrance into heaven in the afterlife!
            >
            > (C) 2013 William P. Nugent, permission granted to email or republish if

          • Alice Robertson
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1 12:20 PM
              Teeth can grow indefinitely? That would make us like hamsters?:) I know
              hair grows after death, but it's dead protein so that makes sense, but that
              really surprised me about the teeth? I guess I thought we were born with
              some sort of teeth pockets formed (but then again when women get their
              ovaries removed sometimes a baby tooth is found in them, so teeth do form
              on a baby while in the womb).

              I thought James Kennedy and Vision Forum were vested in a dinosaur dig, but
              then James Kennedy took a stroke and I lost track of the story (there was a
              big issue over who had the rights before Vision Forum came on the scene,
              but somedays I am clueless about what is true on blogs).

              It's an interesting thread. I wish more people were involved. God bless,
              Alice

            • twotweny
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7 1:38 PM
                Hamsters have ever growing bones, too, really? Maybe it's a mammalian attribute...
                I agree -- I wish there were more responses. You never know what you might find here. I heard about the dino DNA on another christian talk show within the last 2 years, so I was hoping to get more info.
                The same show (the bob dutkow show) also talked about a museum where there were fossilized cowboy hats and teddy bears to show that fossilization does not necessarily have to occur over millions of years.

                But I will check out Vision Forum. Never knew he was involved with an archaology dig. But I also didn't find out til near the end of his life that he was one of the founders of Youth Explosion either, so can't say I'm surprised.

                Thanks Alice.