I would like some input regarding this alledged "indirect" Bible contradiction.

  • Todd E. Tornow
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2012
      Here is an Indirect contradiction- Most People call the Written New Testament, the "NEW TESTAMENT", but in the "written new testament" it says in 2 Corinthians, chapter 3:2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, WRITTEN NOT WITH INK, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.......6Who also hath made us able ministers of the NEW TESTAMENT; NOT of the LETTER, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
    • geoff Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16, 2012
        Hello Todd,

        I think I can see where your confusion arises. It is a matter of English symantics in the English language, rather than a contradiction of biblical truths.

        2 Cor. 3:2-3, 6;
        2 You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men;
        3 being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

        Paul is likening the behaviour of the Corinthians, after his letter of reproof in 1 Corinthians, how they had obviously seen the points that he wrote about and changed their behaviour accordingly. Their behaviour and life style had changed in such a way, that the outsider could see the difference between being a Christian believer in Jesus Christ and God the Father and a nonbeliever in those values of Christ. The sincere changes in their attitudes and behaviour towards each other was a perfect example of the development of the Christian values and behaviour, that it was as clear as though Paul had written the values they adopted in their hearts, rather than on parchment.

        6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

        It doesn't matter whether we live in brazil, America or Britain, we live according to a set of rules and regulations, which we call laws. For example, we must all obey the laws of the road, like 'stop' signs, 'speed' signs, 'road works' signs ETC. if we wish to travel from [A] to [B] arriving safely at our destination. If a speed sign says "Thirty MPH" and we are travelling at "Forty MPH" and we are stopped by a trafic policeman and asked if we were aware of the speed we were travelling in a restricted speed area. If we say "No. We were distracted by something unusual." He may give us a fine or a ticket, he'd be quite within his rights in accordance to the letter of the law. If however, he asks, "Show me your driving licence?" and sees that it is clean, he may give us a stern warning and tells us that he will let us off this time, but we must obey the trafic signs in future. He has warned us severely in accordance with the Spirit of the law, rather than the letter of the law.

        The above verses are written in the light of this explanation of the symantics of the English language. It is not a contradiction, apparent or otherwise, although it can be confusing to someone who doesn't speak the English language as their first language. Even some English speaking people can be confused in the way the English language is used, both when speaking and writing, especially if they live in a different part of a state or country.

        I hope that this explanation helps you a little?

        Yours in Christ,

        Geoff