Israel's rain fall.

  • geoff Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
      Hello friends,

      Can anyone tell me which months of the year Israel had their rain fall during the first century? I know that they had two rainy seasons per year, but I can’t find out when these rainy seasons were.

      Your help will be appreciated.

      Yours in the fellowship of Christ,

      Geoff

    • Stephen Lord
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
        The terms “summer” and “winter,” which are used to describe the seasons in the temperate zone, are not as descriptive of the seasons in Palestine as are the terms “dry season” and “wet season,” since, as an indicator of seasonality, temperature variation is not as marked as is the sharp bifurcation in the precipitation pattern. In the Bible this season (ḥōrep) is one of rainy, stormy weather (Lev 26:4; Deut 11:14; Isa 4:6; 25:4; Job 37:9; Ezra 10:9, 13; Cant 2:11; John 10:23; Acts 28:2). The word sĕtāw, another meteorological term in Hebrew, occurs only once in the Bible (Cant 2:11); but its Arabic cognate, sita˒, is the common word for rain as well as winter in the dialect of Jerusalem. The Greek term cheimōn in the NTmeans both “winter” and “storm” (Scott IDB3: 623) (see Fig. PAL.07).
        The wet season begins first in the Npart of the area, usually in mid-October, and ends last there in the spring, usually in March. The rainy seasonstarts as the cyclones of the temperate zone create steep pressure gradients which cause more rapid and steeper movement of air masses, cooling them and causing them to gain in relative humidity. When this moist air reaches its saturation point, its moisture precipitates in rain or snow.
        About 70% of the rainfall in Palestine falls from November to February, with January being both the wettest and coldest month (Orni and Efrat 1973: 146). There are differences in rainfall patterns as well as amounts in the four orographic regions. The Coastal Plain receives 50% of its annual rainfall by early January, the Western Highlands attain that figure about the end of January, and the Transjordanian plateau only in February (Orni and Efrat 1973: 146). At the beginning and end of the rainy seasoncome what the Bible speaks of as “the former and latter rains”
        NT New Testament
        IDB Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible,ed. G. A. Buttrick. 4 vols. Nashville, 1962
        Fig. PAL.07
        PAL.07.Weather map of Palestine showing annual rainfall distribution.
        N north(ern)
        [David Noel Freedman, The Anchor Bible Dictionary (New York: Doubleday, 1996, c1992), 5:122.]

        "The rainfall of Palestine is closely identified with the cool season: in Arabic, the same word refers to both winter and rain. During the preliminary period of mid-September to mid-October, misty sea air encountering hot, dry air from the land causes thunderstorms and irregular rainfall. The onset of effective rains normally begins in mid-October, but may sometimes be delayed until January. These are the ‘former rains’ which are eagerly awaited because they reduce the temperatures and produce bright, clear skies. The ‘latter rains’, by contrast, occur in April or early May, and represent the last showers of the rainy season."
        [John J. Bimson and J.P. Kane, New Bible Atlas (Includes index.;, electronic ed.; Wheaton, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000, c1985), 14.]

        "Summers are usually devoid of rain in Palestine, though there can occasionally be clouds in the sky. The winter is the rainy season. Rain usually comes from the west (the sea), as indicated here. When the rainy seasonbegins in the autumn, showers often come on quite quickly from the west."
        [Victor Harold Matthews et al., The IVP Bible Background Commentary : Old Testament (electronic ed.; Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000), 1 Ki 18:44.]

        Respectfully,
        Stephen Lord

      • geoff Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2012
          Hello Steven,

          Thank you for this information and quotes. It certainly helps.

          Yours,

          Geoff