Dictionary definition?

  • geoff Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
      I’ve trauled on the internet to find some straight forward dictionary definitions between “faith” and “believe”. The definitions I came across were anything but clear to me and in the event, left me a little confused.

      All help appreciated.
      Yours in Christ,
      Geoff

    • Stephen Lord
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2012
        Not quite the help you wanted, but....

        Words are simply combinations of sounds that do not have inherent meaning (else the concept of "water" would sound exactly the same in every language).

        The meaning of a word is based on how that word is used in a given context.  What dictionaries do is survey a broad range of literature and document the various contexts in which that word is used to chronicle the semantic range of the term.

        What you find in the dictionary are "potential" meanings based on ways the term has been used in the past.  That is all a word has until it is plugged in to a sentence--a range of potential meanings.

        Once plugged in to a context, the word loses its range of potential meanings and takes on an actual and specific meaning.

        Long-winded way of saying that if you want to get at meanings (notice I did not say "the meaning") of faith/believe from a biblical perspective, you're going to have to survey the various contexts of the term's use in Scripture.  That will give you the biblical sense of the range of meaning for the noun pistis, adjective pistos, and verb pisteuo.  But only the immediate context will give you what the writer means in that given instance.

        In other words, the most fruitful effort is to compile your own dictionary as it were.

        Respectfully,
        Stephen Lord

        >________________________________

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2012
          Perhaps scriptural context is needed. When Messiah was in the area of
          the lake, he approached a man filled with many demons. They knew emphatically, who He was, they beleived in his existance. Their wanting to be cast from his presence, they yielded they be sent not to
          hades/sheol.

          The fine line between belief and faith is obedience.

          My sheep hear my voice. If you love me, keep my commandments.
          Go and make disciples of all nations.

          demons by definition, wouldnt do any of these. They have not the gift of faith which comes through the Holy Spirit/Ruach HaKodesh that regenerates our hearts, in order to have that faith.

          Jam 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

          Jam 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
        • Ron Parks
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2012
            Greeting Geoff,

            I'm sorry it's taken me so long to chime in on this one but my father (who
            will be 87 on the 12th) had to have his aortic valve replaced (with a pig
            valve) on the 2nd and I rushed over to Tennessee to be by his side. I am
            happy to report that he is doing well thus far. Praise God for his grace!

            I really don't look much to the dictionary on matters such as these because
            the words used we just translations from the original language anyway. I
            look to the Bible itself first wher I find a great definition of faith in
            Hebrews 11:1 ...

            "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not
            seen." (NKJV)

            While I don't find such a straight forwad deffinition of belief in the Bible
            I do see that the belief reffered to in Romas 10 and John 3 (to name only a
            few) reffers to a belief that incorporates trust based action. For
            instance, lets assume you show me a chair. I believe immediately that the
            chair is there... I can tell you about it's appearance and it's size and
            other physical characteristics. However, I really demonstrate a belief in
            what the chair can do, as it relates to me, when I actually sit in the chair
            and take the risk that it might not hold me and might, therefore dump me
            into the floor. So that kind of belief has an element has an element of
            Faith in it's process!
            Just my 2 cents :-)

            Ron - Western NC

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2012
              Hello Ron,

              I’m glad to hear that your Dad is doing well after his ordeal. Has he had a history of Cardiac problems or, has this developed behind the scenes—as it were—and only just come to light? It would have been a shock if the latter, not just to him, but also to you too.

              Thank you for your input. That’s appreciated. I like your metaphore.

              You may remember that I’m in the process of scanning and editing the New Bible Dictionary, third edition? I came across an article in there on Faith. It is far to long an article to paste it as an email. The definition of Belief comes under Creed, so I’d missed that one, till someone else mentioned it to me. If you have the New Bible Dictionary, third edition, you may like to read it for yourself? It is quite interesting.

              Yours in the love of Christ,

              Geoff

              PS. I’ll be praying for your father, so do let us know how he comes along. Is he still in hospital?

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 8, 2012
                  On 2/8/2012 2:03 AM, frens jose wrote:

                  > When Iam thirsty and have a glass of water in front of me and I know
                  > if I drink it will quench my thirst, is belief But drinking it is
                  > faith.Just knowing some thing is belief and incooperating that belief
                  > into our life is faith

                  Faith is belief in Correct Biblical Doctrine that results in Correct
                  Biblical living.

                  Romans 6:17 But thanks be to our God that you were the slaves of sin,
                  but you have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you
                  were delivered.

                  James