Re: [apologetics and theology] OT spam (was new emai)l

  • Shaun Green
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi Iain

      What works for me:

      I receive about 1500 emails a week, including mail from many mailing
      lists. Spam only gets through at a rate of about five a week, and this
      is with only one very mild spam filter.

      The solution consists of two parts

      1. One Spam Filter
      Set to a "mild" sensitivity. This is analogous to an elegant and
      simple low boundary wall that sounds an alarm when something
      suspicious happens, but does not interfere with desirable visitors.

      2. Report The Spam
      There are various spam-reporting solutions, but I like to use
      www.spamcop.net It is important to only report real spam. This is
      analogous to enjoying the services of a well-trained sniper to bother
      repeat offenders. Spamcop analyses the spam headers for you, and
      proposes abuse reports on your behalf. Over time the Spammers get into
      a bind with their Internet Service Providers, and possibly also their
      Web Hosting Services. Those Internet Service Providers who fail to act
      on valid abuse reports attract more spammers, but then start to run
      into global trouble themselves (other ISP start rejecting all email
      from bad ISP). The spam reports also find their way onto lists of
      known abusers. This then results in better filters (see elegant wall
      above).

      It took some time, but within one year spam has virtually disappeared
      from my Inbox. It has almost become a sport for me to find a lone spam
      wandering across the lawn.

      I never use "unsubscribe" since the spammer has by definition already
      identified themselves as unscrupulous. Unsubscribing can therefore
      possibly serve as confirmation of the validity of the address.

      Happy hunting...

      Kind regards
      Your brother in Christ
      Shaun