A moral question for discussion?

  • geoff Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2011
      What occurred on 9/11/2001 was an appalling tragedy for those who lost their lives, experienced injuries, and of course, those who had to participate in the rescue of the people affected, the injured and the friends and families who lost their loved ones were all victims of the whole affair. Although my brother and I knew nobody affected by the tragedy, we litterally wept for them all, as I'm sure many others also did.

      For the victims of the tragedy, it must be particularly hard to come to terms with the event. When Jesus taught us to pray, he included forgiveness, "'And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors." Mt. 6:12; and " "For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions. 14-15; and "'And forgive us our sins, For we ourselves also forgive everyone who is indebted to us." Lk. 11:4.

      I'm sure that the victims who survived would find it very difficult to forgive those who took part in this most heinous of crimes against humanity, but Jesus also said, "Love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you." Mt. 5:44.

      I know how hard it is to forgive those who have betrayed and deeply hurt me personally. It was something I struggled with for years, but, by the Love of God and grace of our Lord Jesus, I eventually managed it. It still jumps at me from time to time, but I'm able to banish it from my mind if only because it is no longer relevant and It has been forgiven, but, it was never at the experience of losing someone as a result of betrayal and/or hurt experienced. So how much harder it must be for those who did lose someone by this pointless, heinous crime?

      A similar event took place on the 7th of July 2005 in London, although we did not experience the same numbers in volved as New York, it was with the same intent. There have been two people I heard interviewed, one of whom lost his leg in the event--it was litterally blown off--he actually said, "I have forgiven them for what they did to me." or words to that affect. Again, I'm sure I'd have a difficult struggle, if I were in a similar situation.

      How should the Born Again Christian react in these situations? I ask, because the Born Again Christian will have to face these and worse than these heinous crimes in the future, according to biblical prophesy, and will lose their lives on earth during the great tribulation, because we or, they love jesus Christ more than their physical lives.

      How many of us still hold a grudge against others for wrongs or perceived wrongs and have not yet forgiven those around us? Do we actively pray for Jesus to work a miracle in ourselves to over come to normal natural desire for vengence, when vengence belongs to God? Rom. 12:19.

      Yours in Christ,

      Geoff