"Health Wealth Prosperity Gospel Heresy - Part 1" by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2010
      Health Wealth Prosperity Gospel Heresy - Part 1
      By Joseph Y. Lee

      To the Brothers and Sisters who are faithful in Christ Jesus:

      Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus
      Christ.

      Money is not evil. (Ecclesiastes 10:19) However, the love of money
      is evil. (1 Timothy 6:10) You can still love money even if you earn
      minimum wage job in the US or any parts of the world.

      What I hate about the health-wealth prosperity gospel is that many
      Christians (I said Christians, by the way) believe that God would
      reward them with money if they go to church, do evangelism, and
      pray to God. There is nothing wrong with prayer, going to church
      and evangelism. However, manipulating God so that He can reward you
      because of your works is simply wrong.

      Let me make an example for clarification. If I pray, "God give me
      more money so that I can tithe more," and I make this prayer with
      an ulterior motive, then I am guilty of following the health-wealth
      prosperity gospel. Look at Oral Roberts, who is a complete liar.
      In my opinion, the health-wealth prosperity gospel has taught us
      to lie to God.

      Then Peter said, "Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your
      heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for
      yourself some of the money you received for the land? Didn't it
      belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the
      money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing?
      You have not lied to men but to God." Acts 5:3-4 (NIV)

      If we really want God to bless us, then we should not lie or
      manipulate God with any conditions. We should go to church
      unconditionally.

      For example, when I prayed to God for a girlfriend and God did
      not give me a girlfriend, I should not blame God by stop going
      to church. If God called me to be single, then I have to go to
      church every Sunday or Sabbath. Period. There is simply no
      compromise in this issue. If God does not bless me with a job at
      Samsung, then I go to church regardless. If I get bitter and
      angry at God by stop going to church, then I am guilty of the
      health-wealth prosperity gospel.

      Thank you for your prayers.

      Grace be with all those who incorruptibly love our Lord Jesus
      Christ.

      Following the will of God,
      Joseph Yosuk Lee
      이요석 (요셉)
      _http://www.josephylee.org_ (http://www.josephylee.org/)

    • geoff Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2010
        Hello Joseph,

        I agree with you one hundred per cent. You are absolutely right!

        You could also have added, Hebrews 13:5
        5 Be ye free from the love of money; content with such things as ye have: for himself hath said, I will in no wise fail thee, neither will I in any wise forsake thee.

        Jesus also said, Matthew 6:19-21
        19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break through and steal:
        20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth consume, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
        21 for where thy treasure is, there will thy heart be also.

        Jesus goes on in the same vain, VV. 22-34 giving and expounding the theme to help us to understand.

        We can also say the same regarding our health. If we ask for healing and we are not healed, does that mean that our friends and our own faith is too small? Not at all. Our bodies are only tempory and we will exchange our bodies for something better when Jesus calls with a loud voice, 1 Corinthians 15:50-58
        50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
        51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We all shall not sleep, but we shall all be changed,
        52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
        53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
        54 But when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
        55 O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?
        56 The sting of death is sin; and the power of sin is the law:
        57 but thanks be to God, who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
        58 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not vain in the Lord.
        So friends, go forward, serving the Lord jesus to the best of your ability. We are sometimes able to demonstrate the strength of our Lord in our own weakness, 2 Corinthians 12:7-10
        7 And by reason of the exceeding greatness of the revelations, that I should not be exalted overmuch, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, that I should not be exalted overmuch.
        8 Concerning this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
        9 And he hath said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
        10 Wherefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in injuries, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

        I have learnt this, and indeed, I am still learning the truth of this truth.

        He is coming soon. Are you or I ready for his return? That is what we should be striving for.

        Yours in Christ,

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2010
          Joseph, this was a GREAT read! Thank you for sharing it.

          God takes care of our needs as He sees fit. Usually when we want more, it's just
          that- a want. God will supply us, sometimes we just don't like what we're
          supplied with at a given moment.

          I love the analogy. A couple of times over the years I've broken down and bought
          a lottery ticket. Of course, to wash away the guilt that comes from knowing I
          could have spent the dollar more wisely, I simply turned it into a prayer
          request. "God, I really need this money. And if you let me win, I can do SOOOO
          much good in your name with it!" How could God not let me win! No way!

          Look forward to more.

          Tony�