We are kings and priests. What does it mean to be a king?

  • B1E1Nugent@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      WE ARE KINGS AND PRIESTS;
      WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A KING?

      The preacher strode to the pulpit and looked out over the large
      congregation. He said "Are there any priests here today?" The people were surprised and
      fidgeted in their seats. Many looked around to see if there were any men with
      the telltale clerical collar. The pastor continued "Will all the priests
      present this morning please raise your hands." Again the people wondered if the
      pastor thought a busload of Catholic priests had mingled in with the
      congregation.

      Then some of the men and women cautiously raised their hands. The pastor
      chuckled and said "Every hand should be raised. If you are a born-again
      Christian you are a priest! The Bible says in First Peter 2:9 we are a royal
      priesthood!"

      The above illustration shows how uncomfortable we are with the term
      "priest." We associate it with Catholicism or high church Protestantism. All
      born-again Christians are priests. A priest is someone who approaches God on behalf
      of others. A priest is an intercessor. Whenever you pray for others you are
      fulfilling a priestly function.

      In the 1500's during the Reformation, Martin Luther trumpeted the biblical
      truth of the priesthood of the believer. Luther had to counter the unbiblical
      Catholic concept of a limited priesthood ordained by Rome.

      The Reformation of the 1500's brought great spiritual freedom but the
      political reformation of the 1600's brought Bible truths into the political arena.
      The Bible teaches not only the priesthood of the believer but also the
      royalty of the believer. First Peter 2:9 says that we are a royal priesthood and
      Revelation 1:6 says that Christ has"made us kings and priests unto God." It's
      bad enough that Christians are uncomfortable with the term "priest" but
      Christians are almost completely ignorant of the fact that we are kings!!!

      I have written in several DTF articles showing that it was the Bible that
      provided the basis for western civilization's concepts of human rights and
      democracy. The Bible's teachings on the sanctity of life, its teaching that man
      is created in God's image, the dignity of man and the biblical concept of the
      freedom of the believer (Romans 14:2-6) are the very basis for the freedom
      and prosperity we enjoy today.

      In the 1600's the Protestant Reformation was well established in northern
      Europe. It is precisely in northern Europe, especially the British Isles, where
      the greatest strides were made in the advance of freedom. The English civil
      war with the triumph of parliamentary forces and the overthrow of King
      Charles, the formation of the Cromwellian Republic, the bloodless revolution of
      1689 all advanced the Biblical concept that the people, not a wealthy elite,
      should rule.

      Consider the example of Thomas Hooker (1586-1647). He was a Congregational
      preacher with strong Puritan and non-conformist views. He taught that the
      spiritual reformation under Luther should be extended into the civil government.
      Not surprisingly he was summoned to the Court of High Commission in 1630. He
      fled to Holland that year and in 1633 sailed for Massachusetts.

      He pastored a church in Newtown Massachusetts for three years and then in
      1636 migrated with his congregation to the Connecticut River valley and founded
      Hartford in the new colony of Connecticut. Hooker was largely responsible
      for writing and securing the adoption of the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut
      (The Connecticut constitution) in 1639. He also worked to form the New
      England Federation in 1643.

      Thomas Hooker's teaching of the biblical concept that Christian people
      should govern themselves and their communities as co-regents served to promote and
      clarify the concept of the royalty of the believer. The concept of the
      royalty of the believer compellingly leads to democracy because a community of
      co-equal kings must vote in a democratic process to pass laws. Rather than
      having one all powerful king ruling by decree without consulting the people, the
      people themselves are kings who must consult and confer with each other.

      More than a century later it was Protestant, Calvinistic New England that
      was the hotbed of the American Revolution. New England in the mid 1700's was
      the Bible belt of the colonies. The theology of the churches was Calvinism.
      Calvinism is a form of Christian Fundamentalism. Calvinism is a very
      conservative understanding and application of the Bible.

      The secular version of the history of the American Revolution is that it had
      to do with taxation issues. That is a gross oversimplification. Of the more
      than twenty formal causes of war listed in the Declaration of Independence
      only a few had to do with taxation. The real causes of the Revolution were much
      more compelling.

      Slavery was one issue. Massachusetts wanted to abolish slavery but was
      forbidden to do so by the Crown. It is interesting that one of the first acts of
      the Continental Congress was the resolution passed on April 9th 1776 calling
      for an end to the importation of African slaves into the colonies.
      Massachusetts abolished slavery immediately after the war. Slavery continued in the new
      nation only to hold the South.

      Time will fail me to discuss the biblical concepts and Christian activism
      that led to the ultimate abolition of slavery at the time of the U. S. Civil
      War.

      Let's jump ahead now to our own times, to America in the early 21st century.
      Theologically conservative Christians are well aware of our priestly role as
      intercessors and worshippers. We are, however, hugely divided when it comes
      to our role as kings (and queens). The truth is we cancel out each other's
      votes!!! Some of us vote for the liberal who promotes abortion but makes empty
      promises to help the poor. Others of us vote for the pro-life candidates.

      If we voted as a bloc we would be the swing vote that rules America! The
      church's confusion on politics and the refusal by many Christians to even
      discuss politics is what I call the scandal of the neglected crown.

      The compelling political issue of our time is the mass murder of the unborn
      called abortion. I believe abortion is the greatest scandal of our time. Over
      one million human beings, created in God's image, are murdered by abortion
      every year in the united States alone. For this reason the issue of abortion
      is weightier than all other domestic issues put together. We Christians should
      certainly be able to 100 percent agree on this issue!

      Abortion is the top domestic policy issue but we should also agree that the
      protection of Israel is the weightiest foreign policy issue.

      The liberals claim to have compassion on the poor but abortion
      disproportionately devours the poor and the minorities. Most abortion clinics are located
      in the inner city in poor and minority neighborhoods.

      I rejoice to hear much needed teachings on Christians making a difference in
      the marketplace. The concept of the Joseph company of Christian believers
      restoring the land is one of God's priorities. We must not forget that Joseph
      was a civil servant and not a businessman in the pure sense. Joseph was the
      highest ranking government official beside Pharaoh.

      Entering government is one of the purest forms of Christian activism. Why
      limit ourselves to marching in the streets with placards when we can sit on
      the town board or city council or Congress and make the decisions?

      In revelation 12:14 the woman (the church) was given the two wings of a
      great eagle. I believe these two wings are left wing politics and right wing
      politics. Leftists have a burden of compassion on the poor. Rightists are more
      concerned with law and order and are pro-business. Both wings are needed.
      Christians are needed to manage welfare reform to end the secular false
      philanthropy that traps the poor in utter dependence. Christians are needed on the
      right to empower business and job creation and end the ungodly tendency of
      secular business to exploit workers and pollute the environment. But left and right
      must unite in voting the pro-abortion people out of office!!!

      We should not be reluctant to preach against abortion from the pulpit.

      There have been many prophecies and many teachings about kingdom prosperity
      to finance the harvest of souls. Christ has made us kings and priests. We
      should boldly enter into public service, public office and the business arena
      and not be ashamed to talk politics. We've been good priests, it's time we
      become good kings.

      There is forgiveness of sins in the atonement. There is healing in the
      atonement because "with his stripes we are healed" (Isa. 53:5). We are now coming
      to realize that there is prosperity in the atonement. Jesus wore the crown of
      thorns on His brow. Thorns represent the curse on the land (Gen. 3:18) that
      by the sweat of our face we eat bread (Gen. 3:19).
      Producing prosperity is a kingly function and I rejoice to see that we are
      beginning to emphasize both the priestly and kingly functions in the church!

      Steps to salvation:
      "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Romans
      10:13)
      To receive the salvation that Jesus purchased for us at the terrible cost of
      His suffering and death on our behalf I invite you to pray this simple
      prayer: "Dear heavenly Father, I thank you for sending Jesus, the promised
      Messiah, to die for my sins. I admit that I am a sinner and I ask for your
      forgiveness on the basis of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I ask you to
      fill me with your Holy Spirit to empower me to serve you under the Lordship of
      Jesus Christ, Amen."

      If you prayed that prayer in the humble sincerity of your heart then you
      have received everlasting life, which includes power to live right in this life
      and entrance into heaven in the afterlife!

      Bill Nugent

      Read reviews on AOL Autos.