Are you really born again?

  • B1E1Nugent@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      I hope everyone had a good Christmas and I hope you have a happy 2008!

      Polls consistently show that upwards of 40% of the American population
      consider themselves to be born again Christians. Careful analysis of the polling
      data conducted by Barna Research and others shows that the behavioral patterns
      of those who blithely claim to be born again does not differ a great deal
      from those who make no claim of being born again. The obvious conclusion is
      that many who claim to be born again are not born again at all.

      What then is the new birth? What does Jesus mean when He says "Ye must be
      born again" (John 3:7)? A proper understanding of this concept will help us
      more fully understand who we are in Christ and give us a radical sense of
      security in our relationship with God. A proper understanding of what it means to
      be born again will also help us spot the fakes and will help us to reach out
      to the fakes and win them to Christ.

      The Bible teaches that the human spirit is regenerated at the new birth.
      Your body was not born again at the new birth. Nicodemus proved that! Your soul
      was not regenerated at the new birth. The soul of a human being is different
      from the spirit of a human being. Hebrews 4:12 speaks of the "dividing
      asunder of soul and spirit." A human being is composed of spirit, soul and body.
      This is shown in the Bible in I Thessalonians 5:23 "may your spirit and soul
      and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus
      Christ" (NASB).

      Two of the major components of a human being, namely the spirit and the
      soul, are invisible. The Bible in both the Old and New Testaments makes many
      references to the human spirit and the human soul. Some people use the words
      spirit and soul interchangeably but the Bible makes a clear distinction between
      the two.

      The Bible describes what happens to the spirit of an unbeliever when the
      unbeliever moves from being an unbeliever to being a believer in Christ. When
      the unbeliever receives the revelation that Jesus died for his sins a radical
      change occurs. The spirit of the unbeliever is touched by the grace of Christ
      and given saving faith and calls on the name of Jesus to receive forgiveness
      of sins. At this instant, the spirit of the newly minted believer is
      regenerated and is radically transformed. Regeneration is akin to resurrection. The
      spirit of the unbeliever is essentially resurrected from the dead and is thus
      reborn as a believing spirit. Let me quote some Bible verses that touch on
      this point. "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to
      his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the
      Holy Ghost." (Titus 3:5.) "Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new
      creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are become new" (I Cor.
      5:17).

      The regenerated human spirit of the believer is a child of God. That's
      right, when you were born again you were born into God's family! You were not
      adopted, you were born into God's family! You are a son or daughter of God!

      Let me explain the biblical concept of adoption so we don't confuse it with
      the new birth. The Bible in Romans 8:15 and Galatians 4:5 speaks of the
      adoption of the believer but these verses are not speaking about the new birth of
      the human spirit. These verses are speaking about our placement as mature
      sons. We are placed as mature sons after we have been processed by trials and
      tribulations and having grown in character to full maturity. Romans 8:19 speaks
      of the manifestation of the sons of God. This event is still future and has
      to do with mature sons of God being released into extraordinarily great
      power in the end times.

      Knowing that our human spirits are reborn and are fully redeemed and fully
      righteous and are presently children of God gives us great joy and full
      assurance and security in our walk with God. The Holy Spirit dwells with our reborn
      human spirit. Romans 8:16 says "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our
      spirit that we are children of God" (NASB).The Bible also teaches that our
      reborn human spirit is fully righteous and cannot sin. First John 3:9 says
      "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and
      he cannot sin, because he is born of God." A person who is genuinely born
      again cannot lose his salvation. He can't become "unborn again" because his human
      spirit was reborn into a sinless state. The believer's spirit is sinless and
      cannot commit any sin, hence cannot reject God and fall away.

      The believer can still commit sin in his soul and body. The fact that our
      souls and bodies can still sin means that we must repent from sin every day.
      The believer in Christ must "take up his cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow
      Christ. Anyone who is truly born again must live a life of repentance! The soul
      of the believer is being processed by trials and tribulations and is "being
      saved" (I Cor. 1:18). The soul is "being renewed day by day" (II Cor. 4:16.)
      The body of the believer will be transformed at the resurrection of the dead
      (I Cor. 15:52).

      People who are not born again but merely claim to be born again, generally
      live sinful lives that mirror the standards of the surrounding corrupt
      culture. We must explain to them what it means to be truly born again. We must
      exhort them to repent and to call on the name of the Lord Jesus and ask for
      forgiveness of sins.

      At the new birth the righteousness of Christ is not only imputed to us but
      is imparted to us in our spirits. Romans 6:11 tells us to consider ourselves
      dead to sin and alive to righteousness. The word in Romans 6:11 translated
      "consider" is the Greek word "logizomai" and it is essentially an accounting
      term and means that we must count ourselves to be dead to sin and alive to
      righteousness. It refers to a past event, namely the new birth, that caused our
      spirits to be born again into a state of experiential righteousness. Our reborn
      human spirits are presently dead to sin and fully alive to righteousness.
      The next chapter, Romans seven, speaks of the processing of the believer's soul
      and how the soul is still a slave to sin. Romans seven explains that the
      "the law of sin" (the sin nature) dwells in the believer's flesh. Romans eight
      speaks of the future resurrection of the physical bodies of believers in
      Christ.

      Since our humans spirits are redeemed and fully righteous, we therefore must
      walk by the reborn human spirit under the guidance of the indwelling Holy
      Spirit so as not to fulfill the lusts of the flesh (Gal. 5:16).

      Always comfort yourselves with these words: "Behold, what manner of love the
      Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God . . .
      Beloved, now we are the sons of God" (I John 3:1-2). With full confidence in
      the atoning work of Jesus Christ we can make the following affirmations: My
      human spirit was fully redeemed! I was born into God's family! I am a child of
      God! In my spirit I presently have total victory over sin! I am an
      overcomer! My soul is being transformed and renewed day by day! My body will be
      transformed into a glorified state at the resurrection of the dead!

      Jesus said "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he
      cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3)
      Steps to salvation:
      1) Believe that God created you and loves you and sent the Messiah to redeem
      you.
      2) Believe that Jesus the Messiah came in fulfillment of prophecy to die for
      you to take upon Himself the penalty for your sins. (Isaiah 53:5-6, John
      6:29, Romans 4:5, First Peter 3:18)
      3) Turn from sin and call on the name of Jesus to receive forgiveness.
      (Romans 10:13)
      4) Receive Jesus as Savior and experience the new birth. (John 1:12, Acts
      2:38)
      5) Follow Him as Lord. (John 14:21)

      Bill Nugent, Overcomer Ministries of Katonah New York,USA