Re: [apologetics and theology] Harry Potter

  • Matt B.
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 7:09 PM
      IW said:

      "I am saying that if a person makes a claim of faith and denies
      her/his work has satanic connections they should be believed unless
      proven otherwise"

      --are we ourselves always the best judge of what we do or say?

      "I do not generally call my fellow Xians liars
      without evidence."

      --I wasn't calling her a liar.

      "... or how it encourages witchcraft. Ridiculous. There is absolutely
      no basis for this."

      --there seems to be no real, hard, tangible evidence that it does not.

      "OOC, have you actually read the series?"

      --no, but it does not take long into each story to realize that they
      do not in some way glorify Christ but instead glorify man's (and
      children's) pursuit of power over others and even over overt evil.

      "Feel free to point out any action she has taken to validate
      accusations that her books are morally repugnant and /or satanistic in
      content. Xians waste an awful lot of time looking for devils where
      they are not and ignoring the ones that are."

      --Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not attacking the woman. I am
      however exercising the right we all have as her brothers and sisters
      in the Lord to critique another Christian's public declaration of a
      seeming fear or lack of desire to be identified with Christ in their
      work and public life. Actually the only 'devil' I'm concerned with is
      this pervasive attitude among many Christians here in the West which
      seems to have forgotten that we have been Saved for God's glory. We
      are to be the salt and light of the earth; to influence it for
      Christ's benefit and to point others to Christ. She is a public and
      very influential figure and we fellow Christians have the right and
      authority to critique, with love and grace, the public works and
      actions of anyone who calls themselves a fellow Christian. Paul
      called us to not judge those outside the Church but think of the
      many, many blunt calls Paul, Peter, James and John gave us all in
      their letters to be transformed into Christ's image and righteousness
      in all that we do and say. We are called to encourage and exhort each
      other so that we will live more and more for Christ. If Ms. Rowlings
      had never stated to be a Christian then there would be no real issue
      here. Imagine how much more we would all be lifting up Christ's name
      in our work and personal lives if we all desired more than we do, to
      encourage and exhort each other to an ever increasing submission to
      Christ's own plans for us. Everything we do and say is to be for His
      benefit and for His ongoing Plan of Salvation in the world. We have
      Eternal Life and all the benefits of His Love and Grace but the lost
      do not. There is very little time and even our time belongs to Him
      for His purposes. Paul stated that "I am not ashamed of the
      gospel..." I fear that many of us do not see the significance of Ms.
      Rowling's statement since many of us, who have even been bought by
      Christ's own suffering, find it hard to recognize this very attitude
      within ourselves and I include myself. It seems that many of us have
      lost that understanding of just how immense and unfathomable our work
      for Christ is.
      William Barclay wrote, "It is told of J.P. Mahaffy, the famous
      scholar and man of the world from Trinity College, Dublin, that when
      he was asked if he was a Christian, his answer was: 'Yes, but not
      offensively so.' He meant that he did not allow his Christianity to
      interfere with the society he kept and the pleasure he loved" (The
      Gospel of Matthew, vol. 1, rev. ed. [Philadelphia: Westminster,
      1975], p. 391). But that's not what Christianity is. Those who follow
      Jesus Christ become more and more like Him.
      (http://www.biblebb.com/files/mac/sg2283.htm)
      Paul stated in 2 Cor. 5:14 "For Christ's love compels us, because we
      are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And
      he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for
      themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again."

      --Should we not also be compelled to joyfully bear His beautiful
      Name? If we publicly claim to love Christ then the world will attach
      Christ's name to us in some way and if we really are Saved then His
      name is written all over us. We then have the immeasurable privilege
      and also the command to boldly and fearlessly show Christ's life
      within us to the world regardless of the cost. I am saddened to see
      many like Ms. Rowling have a fire and passion to lead others to a few
      moments of some sort of escape from this crazy world with their
      talents and resources yet seem afraid to just as passionately write
      or talk about their Saviour; the One they owe everything to. Would
      glorifying Christ in her work or public statements in some obvious
      way have ruined her book sales and her incredible success? Probably;
      but isn't what He has done for us worth it? I myself would probably
      be less successful in the world and poorer if I proclaimed Christ's
      love more joyfully and boldly than I do with the people in my life.
      Don't be successful, be SIGNIFICANT for Christ.

      Matt
    • IW

        Tanggal Thu, 02 Aug 2007 02:09:31 -0000 Penulis "Matt B."
        <mattbeme3@...> menulis email dengan judul Re: [apologetics and
        theology] Harry Potter seperti tertera di bawah ini:

        >IW said:
        >
        >"I am saying that if a person makes a claim of faith and denies
        >her/his work has satanic connections they should be believed unless
        >proven otherwise"
        >
        >--are we ourselves always the best judge of what we do or say?

        Unless she is a gibbering idiot or a mental midget I am certain
        that she has both the mental faculties and intelligence to determine
        whether her work, a product of her mind, is satanic or not.

        This is not a matter of confused perception like a accident victim
        might possess but a factual statement she can make based on what SHE
        intended and what she believes. The idea that someone would then turn
        around and say, ¨Well, you may not be the best judge of your own
        intentions¨ is insulting and patronizing to say the least.

        >"I do not generally call my fellow Xians liars
        >without evidence."
        >
        >--I wasn't calling her a liar.

        You implied it.

        >"... or how it encourages witchcraft. Ridiculous. There is absolutely
        >no basis for this."
        >
        >--there seems to be no real, hard, tangible evidence that it does not.

        Well your logic is dazzling. This is the logical fallacy known as ¨From
        ignorance.¨ Well, there is no evidence X is false so it must be true.

        >"OOC, have you actually read the series?"
        >
        >--no, but it does not take long into each story to realize that they
        >do not in some way glorify Christ but instead glorify man's (and
        >children's) pursuit of power over others and even over overt evil.

        What!? Ok, so all books have to glorify Christ? So Tolkiens writings,
        Stephen Laweadś writings (Xians all) should be blacklisted? Are we
        going back to witchhunts and bookburnings? Are we then not supposed to
        read books that do not glorify Christ - IOW, all non-xian fiction is
        banned? As for your statement

        ¨instead glorify man's (and children's) pursuit of power over others
        and even over overt evil¨

        What utter and total unmitigated balderdash. The main character is
        generous, kind, and self-sacrificing. <sarcasm>Wouldn´t want that as a
        hero figure would we eh? </sarcasm> There is no ¨pursuit of power¨ as
        you might describe - i suggest you read the books.

        >--Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not attacking the woman. I am
        >however exercising the right we all have as her brothers and sisters
        >in the Lord to critique another Christian's public declaration of a
        >seeming fear or lack of desire to be identified with Christ in their
        >work and public life.

        Ok - but I am puzzled. If I say, ¨I am a Xian. I am a believer. I
        attend Church.¨ Well, I have just made a public declaration of my
        Faith. That is not exactly hiding it. And while it might be rather
        nice/good of her to be even more open about her faith - not everyone in
        the public eye has that kind of moxy. I do not condemn her because I do
        not know her motivations.

        She is a public and
        >very influential figure

        Well, now the series are finished lets see what she says or does next?

        IW