Re: [apologetics and theology] Bible Challenge 01/29/07

  • learning@thelittlegreenhouse.co.za
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
      Thank you Kwame for challenging us out of complacency.

      I think that we should always consider Scriptural context.

      Matthew 19
      "There is none good but one, that is, God", is part of Jesus' response to the
      question "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal
      life?" This reminds us that we do not possess the goodness required for
      "everlasting life". (Could Jesus also be reminding us of His Divinity?)

      Matthew 5
      43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate
      thine enemy.
      44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to
      them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute
      you;
      45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh
      his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and
      on the unjust.
      46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the
      publicans the same?

      Sinful man thinks he has a right to hate his enemies, but God is our example, as
      He graces all kinds of people with sunlight and rain. His children should
      exhibit the same patient grace towards all, in spite of what they do to us.

      The first passage teaches about salvation and personal goodness. The second
      teaches us about grace and revenge. Both remind all men of their natural
      miserable self-inflicted condition.

      Hopefully there is not too much torture or mere assertion in this explanation
      ;-)

      Kwame, do you not regard yourself as an "inerrantist"?

      Kind regards
      Shaun Green