"Star Trek" by Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2004
      Star Trek
      By Joseph Y. Lee

      I could not help talking about the Bible and some of the Star Trek movies.
      The producers of Star Trek really tried to portray their understanding of God in
      Star Trek II, III, and V, and I wanted to respond to some of their accurate
      and inaccurate portrayals of God. Even though I loved many Star Trek episodes
      on TV and on the big screens, I did notice some anti-God themes in "Star Trek
      V: The Final Frontier" while "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" was a false
      portrayal foreshadowing the resurrection of Spock with the resurrection of
      Christ. I have to give the producers of Star Trek some credit for making "Star
      Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn." I somehow, as a Christian, was able to appreciate
      Star Trek II when Spock made the ultimate sacrifice by saving the crew of the
      Enterprise.

      Star Trek II was a great movie. It is not known for its special effects, but
      for its great script. It has some themes that many Christians could
      appreciate. I hope that I am not giving the plot away. In summary of the movie, Spock
      was a type of Christ. Yeah! Really! When Christ died on the cross, He saved the
      church throughout the world. When Kahn, Captain Kirk's arch enemy, tried to
      destroy the Enterprise with the Genesis weapon, the Enterprise had no warp speed
      to escape from the blast of the Genesis weapon. Spock knew that the
      Enterprise was doomed for destruction without warp speed. So Spock repaired the warp
      drive and saved the crew of the Enterprise by sacrificing his life. Spock, like
      Christ, had a purpose, which was to save his friends. Jesus saved the church,
      while Spock saved the crew of the Enterprise. This is why Star Trek II was a
      big hit in the 80's -- because it resonated with what the Bible said about our
      Jesus.

      On the other hand, Star Trek III was ridiculous because Spock was resurrected
      from the dead. Star Trek II should be the last Star Trek movie for the
      original series of Star Trek. When Spock resurrected from the dead, Captain Kirk
      tried to resurrect Spock by sacrificing everything he had – his son and his ship –
      the U.S.S. Enterprise. Captain Kirk was portrayed as a type of Triune God
      the Father, while Spock was a type of Christ as the Triune Son of God. Captain
      Kirk was a sinful man. I hope that I do not sound so silly when I am saying
      this, but the producers of Star Trek portrayed the idea that Captain Kirk, a
      flawed and sinful wretch, could resurrect anyone like Spock from death. They were
      trying to foreshadow the resurrection of Spock with the resurrection of
      Christ. Nevertheless, sinful man could never resurrect our Jesus who died on the
      cross. Only God the Father has the power to do that! The producers of Star Trek
      will probably totally deny any relevance between Spock and the Bible, but it
      was pretty darn obvious in Star Trek V.

      In Star Trek V, this episode was the most ridiculous Star Trek sequel known
      to mankind! I was not surprised that so many Star Trek fans hated the movie. It
      basically showed God being killed by a photon torpedo. Sound very silly?
      Yeah, it was very silly. Even though Christ died on the cross, Christ was a man.
      He did not die in a sense that He ceased to exist. His Spirit was just
      separated from his flesh when He died on the cross. In Star Trek V, God was not
      portrayed as a man, but as a Spirit, which could be killed. Contrary to the opinions
      of the producers of the Star Trek movie, it is impossible to kill the Spirit.
      In Star Trek V, God was portrayed as uncaring, unloving, and unmerciful – and
      like an alien from another planet. The producers of Star Trek V ridiculed God
      even further by implying that God did not exist or else He could have built a
      starship in heaven and landed on the surface of our planet Earth. Captain
      Kirk asked, "Why does God need a starship to get off His planet?" It may be a
      rhetorical question, but it was a good one. Why would God need a starship to get
      off His silly planet when He could have beamed Himself onto the surface of our
      planet through a transporter? Jesus did not need a starship to come to our
      planet on Earth. He is not an alien from outer space on a distant planet 300
      light years away from Earth. God is a Spirit, and His Spirit cannot be killed.
      His ascension into heaven might be explained scientifically, but it may not. It
      was probably the closest version to a transporter beam. Even though heaven is
      a place, it may not be on a distant planet 300 light years away. Even though
      God is not here with us as a man, He is infinite and is with us as a Spirit.

      Complimenting or insulting God on the big screen is not the answer to bring a
      greater understanding of God’s nature. This can only be done through the Word
      of God – the Bible.

      Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
      E-mail: JosephYLee@..., Website: http://www.josephylee.org

    • josephylee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2007
        Star Trek
        By Joseph Y. Lee

        The producers of Star Trek really tried to portray
        their understanding of God in Star Trek II, III, and
        V, and I wanted to respond to some of their accurate
        and inaccurate portrayals of God. Even though I loved
        many Star Trek episodes on TV and on the big screens,
        I did notice some anti-God themes in "Star Trek V:
        The Final Frontier" while "Star Trek III: The Search
        for Spock" was a false rending foreshadowing the
        resurrection of Spock with the resurrection of Christ.
        I have to give the producers of Star Trek some credit
        for making "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn." I somehow,
        as a Christian, was able to appreciate Star Trek II when
        Spock made the ultimate sacrifice by saving the crew
        of the Enterprise.

        Star Trek II was a great movie. In my view, it does
        not have fantastic special effects like Star Wars,
        but Star Trek II has a great script. It has some
        themes that many Christians could appreciate. I hope
        that I am not giving the plot away. In summary of the
        movie, Spock was a type of Christ. Yeah! Really! When
        Christ died on the cross, He saved the church
        throughout the world. When Kahn, Captain Kirk's
        arch enemy, tried to destroy the Enterprise with the
        Genesis weapon, the Enterprise had no warp speed to
        escape from the blast of the Genesis weapon. Spock
        knew that the Enterprise was doomed for destruction
        without warp speed. So Spock repaired the warp drive
        and saved the crew of the Enterprise by sacrificing
        his life. Spock, like Christ, had a purpose, which was
        to save his friends. Jesus saved the church, while Spock
        saved the crew of the Enterprise. In my opinion, I
        believe Star Trek II was a big hit in the 80뭩 --
        because it resonated with what the Bible said about
        our Jesus.

        On the other hand, Star Trek III was ridiculous
        because Captain Kirk tried to resurrect Spock from
        the dead. It was so obvious that the Star Trek
        producers were borrowing some of the Biblical themes
        in the Bible. Star Trek II should be the last Star Trek
        movie for the original series of Star Trek. It was
        believed that Spock was resurrected from the dead
        when Captain Kirk sacrificed everything he had ?
        his son and his ship ?the U.S.S. Enterprise to
        accomplish this. Captain Kirk was a sinful man. I
        hope that I do not sound so silly when I am saying
        this. However, the producers of Star Trek portrayed
        the idea that Captain Kirk's sacrificing the
        Enterprise and his son David could resurrect anyone
        like Spock from death. Mankind or characters like
        Captain Kirk was not responsible for the resurrection
        of our God ?Jesus Christ. Only the Father in heaven
        was responsible for the resurrection. I hoped I did
        not sound so silly when I said this. If the Star Trek
        producers were trying to say that Captain Kirk was a
        type of God the Father, then this would be really
        hilarious! Nevertheless, sinful man through his own
        sacrifice could never resurrect our Jesus who died
        on the cross. Only God the Father has the power to
        do that! God the Father does not need to make any
        sacrifices to resurrect His Son Jesus Christ like
        Captain James T. Kirk. The producers of Star Trek
        will probably totally deny any relevance between
        Spock and the Bible, but it was pretty darn obvious
        in Star Trek V.

        In Star Trek V, this episode was the most ridiculous
        Star Trek sequel known to mankind! I was not surprised
        that so many Star Trek fans hated the movie. It
        basically showed God being killed by a photon torpedo.
        Sound very silly? Yeah, it was very silly. Even
        though Christ died on the cross, Christ was God. He
        did not die in a sense that He ceased to exist. His
        Spirit was just separated from his flesh when He died
        on the cross. In Star Trek V, God was not portrayed
        as a man, but as a Spirit, which could be killed.
        Contrary to the opinions of the producers of the
        Star Trek movie, it is impossible to kill the Spirit.
        In Star Trek V, God was portrayed as uncaring, unloving,
        and unmerciful ?and like an alien from another planet.
        The producers of Star Trek V ridiculed God even further
        by implying that God did not exist or else He could
        have built a starship in heaven and landed on the
        surface of our planet Earth. Captain Kirk asked, "Why
        does God need a starship to get off His planet?" It
        may be a rhetorical question, but it was a good one.
        However, I could ask a better question like, "Why
        would God need a starship to get off His silly planet
        when He could have beamed Himself onto the surface
        of our planet through a transporter?" Jesus did not
        need a starship to come to our planet on Earth or a
        transporter to beam to earth. He is not an alien
        from outer space on a distant planet 300 light years
        away from Earth. God is a Spirit, and His Spirit
        cannot be killed. His ascension into heaven might
        be explained scientifically, but it may not. It was
        probably the closest version to a transporter beam.
        Even though heaven is a place, it may not be on a
        distant planet 300 light years away. Even though God
        is not here with us as a man, He is infinite and is
        with us as a Spirit.

        Complimenting or insulting God on the big screen is not
        the answer to bring a greater understanding of God뭩
        nature. This can only be done through the Word of God ?
        the Bible.

        Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
        E-Mail : _JosephYLee@..._ (mailto:JosephYLee@...)
        Website: _http://www.josephylee.org_ (http://www.josephylee.org)
        http://www.aol.com.

      • yusefii
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2007
          JYL wrote:

          <<"Star Trek" by Joseph Y. Lee

          Star Trek
          By Joseph Y. Lee

          The producers of Star Trek really tried to portray
          their understanding of God in Star Trek II, III, and
          V, and I wanted to respond to some of their accurate
          and inaccurate portrayals of God. Even though I loved
          many Star Trek episodes on TV and on the big screens,
          I did notice some anti-God themes in "Star Trek V:
          The Final Frontier" while "Star Trek III: The Search
          for Spock" was a false rending foreshadowing the
          resurrection of Spock with the resurrection of Christ.
          I have to give the producers of Star Trek some credit
          for making "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn." I somehow,
          as a Christian, was able to appreciate Star Trek II when
          Spock made the ultimate sacrifice by saving the crew
          of the Enterprise.>>

          Dude, the name is *Khan,* not Kahn. :)

          <<Star Trek II was a great movie. In my view, it does
          not have fantastic special effects like Star Wars,
          but Star Trek II has a great script. >>

          Star Wars (i.e., ANH) had some cheap-looking special effects, till
          Lucas remade the film in 1997. Star Trek II, otoh, actually did have
          some decent effects I think, yet meanwhile one thing that the effects
          artists of the Star Wars movies have *consistently* done better than
          the Star Trek teams is the way they make planets look from far away.

          <<It has some
          themes that many Christians could appreciate. I hope
          that I am not giving the plot away. In summary of the
          movie, Spock was a type of Christ. Yeah! Really! When
          Christ died on the cross, He saved the church
          throughout the world. When [Khan], Captain Kirk's
          arch enemy, tried to destroy the Enterprise with the
          Genesis weapon, the Enterprise had no warp speed to
          escape from the blast of the Genesis weapon. Spock
          knew that the Enterprise was doomed for destruction
          without warp speed. So Spock repaired the warp drive
          and saved the crew of the Enterprise by sacrificing
          his life. Spock, like Christ, had a purpose, which was
          to save his friends. Jesus saved the church, while Spock
          saved the crew of the Enterprise. In my opinion, I
          believe Star Trek II was a big hit in the 80ë­© --
          because it resonated with what the Bible said about
          our Jesus.>>

          Or it could be that the film simply rocked, which it did.

[...]

          Doesn't the Bible seem to teach otherwise, as if the resurrection of
          Christ involved some act or work of Christ also?

[...]

          That's not true. The scriptwriter either: a) later hinted that God
          is imaginary when Kirk said that maybe God is within the heart; or b)
          really offered no opinion whatsoever on whether God exist or on who
          He is. One thing that is crystal clear--so clear that I feel bad for
          even saying this--is that the film did *not* set out to portray the
          alien as God.

          Meanwhile, the silliest thing about that movie was that Paramount
          actually gave a green light to the project and that the photon
          torpedo that the Enterprise launched, iirc, was launched from some
          part of the ship *above* the torpedo bay!

          A word of defense, in closing: Star Trek V is a movie you probably
          will never see on MST 3000. That speaks highly of it, I think.

          -Kwame
        • william_elkins2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2007
            --- In apologetics@yahoogroups.com, "yusefii" <yusefii@...> wrote:

            > JYL wrote:
            >
            > <<"Star Trek" by Joseph Y. Lee
            >

            > Star Trek
            > By Joseph Y. Lee
            >

            > The producers of Star Trek really tried to portray
            > their understanding of God in Star Trek II, III, and
            > V, and I wanted to respond to some of their accurate
            > and inaccurate portrayals of God. Even though I loved
            > many Star Trek episodes on TV and on the big screens,
            > I did notice some anti-God themes in "Star Trek V:
            > The Final Frontier" while "Star Trek III: The Search
            > for Spock" was a false rending foreshadowing the
            > resurrection of Spock with the resurrection of Christ.
            > I have to give the producers of Star Trek some credit
            > for making "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn." I somehow,
            > as a Christian, was able to appreciate Star Trek II when
            > Spock made the ultimate sacrifice by saving the crew
            > of the Enterprise.>>
            >
            > Dude, the name is *Khan,* not Kahn. :)

            ,<W>never been a trekky but I hear when someone dies everything is
            normal. Looking for Darryl, but thanks Joseoh. What do you think
            about the East J.Y? I understand you are from S Korea? Im thinking
            about a school teacher there I heart all you need is a BS or BA.
            in anything to teach English? My biggest scare is that I am still
            qualified? but anyway IW I am pretty sure J Y Lee is Calvinist. I
            think your joke is hilarious but not in front of J Lee. but Its s
            debate for abother day. I may have to see if the tulips are launched
            at you. Kahn or Kahn. I feel that is none of my business.

            Will :)

> [...]
            God
            > is imaginary when Kirk said that maybe God is within the heart; or
            b)
            > really offered no opinion whatsoever on whether God exist or on
            who
            > He is. One thing that is crystal clear--so clear that I feel bad
            for
            > even saying this--is that the film did *not* set out to portray
            the
            > alien as God.
            >
            > Meanwhile, the silliest thing about that movie was that Paramount
            > actually gave a green light to the project and that the photon
            > torpedo that the Enterprise launched, iirc, was launched from some
            > part of the ship *above* the torpedo bay!
            >
            > A word of defense, in closing: Star Trek V is a movie you probably
            > will never see on MST 3000. That speaks highly of it, I think.

          • william_elkins2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
              I realize JYL you live in San Fransisco but of S Korean Nationality.
              But my best friend got an english teaching Job as a School Teacher
              even tyhough he does not have a degree in Teaching but he does
              have his BA in Philosophy. I know you are an epiracist too (as I).
              Ever think about teaching English in S. Korea? Im no t sure why i
              ask but I gues that I can go but I don't want to miss my new career
              builder in St Louis. I know there are a lot of people who like
              information about the east but I suppose that is why I ask. I know
              nothing about the Kahn or Khan thing. If Kwame would not have
              pointed that out I would not have known. Actually if everybody did
              that to me. I'd be tared and feathered

              Will
              --- In apologetics@yahoogroups.com, "william_elkins2000"

            • josephylee@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
                Hello Will,

                I am concerned about the welfare of the Christian church in
                South Korea. South Korea is extremely fast. Competition from
                the Mormons, Moonies, and JW's are quite fierce. If you want
                to teach English in South Korea, then I think you should go for
                it. Yes, I am a Calvinist. If you read my Star Trek essay, I was
                trying to preach Christ crucified, resurrected, and ascended into
                heaven. Thanks for your input.

                in Christ,
                Joseph