Re: Second attempt: question about Islam

  • en7aj6
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2004
      Kwame-
      I also think that in many instances they are told that this is the
      way it is... period. They don't have much choice in the matter, and
      if they do choose Christianity, they are hiding out in basements, and
      smuggling bibles for it threatens the very teachings of Islam.
      People really want to be able to work out their salvation whether it
      be praying five times a day, or a hundred, or killing everyone who
      does not submit to the House of Allah. It is not widely discussed
      about the violent teachings that are also in the Qur'an. We keep
      hearing about how "peaceful" Islam is, but it has been almost
      completely spread by the sword in the majority of it's history.
      Christianity has had it's moments, but only when it strayed from the
      actual teachings of the Bible.
      Islam is spread by the sword because that is what was taught by
      Mohammed, and what is ultimately in his writings. They follow what
      Mohammed said, and he basically said "kill people unless they
      renounce their old beliefs."
      huh...
      Jane
      p.s. I hope the above makes sense... I went on a long hike which I
      was thrilled about, but my body is rejecting ordered intelligence as
      I sit here. Happy 4th!
      In Christ
      J.

      --- In apologetics@yahoogroups.com, "aint Yusef" <yusefii@y...> wrote:
      > I'm curious, and can anyone tell me--do Muslims in general have
      even
      > a semblance of a good reason for believing the various propositions
      > concerning the Qur'an and Hadiths that they believe?*
      >
      > Is the best that anyone can do is to argue that the Qur'an makes
      > accurate scientific forecasts or that Muhammad is the Comforter of
      > whom Christs in or about John, chapter 16?
      >
      > I'm thinking that the answer to the former question is *No* and
      that
      > the reasons that people believe as they do are what one might
      expect:
      > a) wise, old, gray-haired village elder Smith says that such and
      such
      > is true; and b) people are inclined to believe whatever they want
      > believe. Have Bin Laden and others of his ilk yet considered this
      > question?
      >
      > -Kwame
      > _______
      > * First of all, I say "semblance" because for all I know some
      Muslims
      > might claim that they know subjectively that what they believe is
      > true; of course, many Christians would claim that they know
      > subjectively that Christianity is true, a proposition which in some
      > instances probably has something going for it yet is relatively
      > unimpressive. Secondly, it seems that one can believe a false
      > propositon for a reason that is good. If all the ten thousand
      things
      > that Honest Abe has said have been shown to be true, then we
      probably
      > do well to believe what he will say next, even if mortal human
      beings
      > are fallible.
    • Kwame
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2004
        en7aj6 said: We keep
        hearing about how "peaceful" Islam is, but it has been almost
        completely spread by the sword in the majority of it's history.
        Christianity has had it's moments, but only when it strayed from the
        actual teachings of the Bible.
        Islam is spread by the sword because that is what was taught by
        Mohammed, and what is ultimately in his writings. They follow what
        Mohammed said, and he basically said "kill people unless they
        renounce their old beliefs."
        huh...

        I realize that it is fashionable, if you will, today in Evangelical circles to say that Islam is no religion of peace or that consistent Muslims will in fact wield the sword to further the cause of Mohammedism; yet I look forward in the future to hearing the latter claim put to the test maybe in a written formal debate or in a good academic journal of some stripe. I thought the person on a certain broadcast on KCET a while back almost perfectly convincingly--and either intentionally or otherwise--established that the violent Muslims are the ones in error. So hey, if you happen to *know* that it is necessarily true that Muslims are obligated to wage bloody war against infidels according to the Qur'an or Muhammad's teachings, then feel free to point me to whatever resources you have in mind. In the meantime, I'm just hoping there aren't any Christian apologists (and is it really apologetics to prove that someone else's beliefs are errant when the falsehood of those beliefs does not
        necessarily entail that claims of Christian theology are true?) who are guilty of taking things out of context, which there are. You already see the bad signs concerning the claim that Allah more or less is the moon goddess Allat (versus a sun god named Allah or even the creator of all things himself) and Bob Morey's (I think it was his) lame comic books that mock the Qur'an in ways which are just BEGGING for Muslims to respond in kind with regard to the Bible, which they can actually do.

        -Kwame