27632Re: [apologetics and theology] Walk Worthy of the Lord

  • Jozinky
    Mar 31, 2014
      On 3/31/2014 9:03 PM, yielded777@... wrote:

      > James posted:
      >
      > On 3/30/2014 11:21 PM, yielded777@... wrote:
      >
      > > > What pleases the Lord? That we walk just as Jesus walked!

      > > On water?
      >
      > > ps... your grammar/typos make it hard to decipher some of what you're
      >
      > > trying to say.
      >

      > > James
      >

      > > **JIM:Did Jesus walk on the water?Of course He did!

      > Yes of course. So since you stated that we walk just as Jesus walked
      >
      > should we walk on water also?

      No response?

      > > 1 John 2:5-6
      >
      > > By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him
      >
      > > ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
      >
      > > NKJV
      >

      > > BTW, "ought' means to be indebted.

      > (James)It does???
      >
      > oughtJn 2:6 He who says he abides in Him is indebted himself also to walk
      >
      > just as He walked.
      >
      > Ac 24:19 Who indebted [ought] to have been here before thee, and
      >
      > object, if they had indebted [ought] against me.
      >
      > ??
      >
      > James
      >
      > ***JIM:Yes, it does, James.
      >
      > “Ought”as used in 1 John 2:6
      >
      > 1Jn 2:6 He who says he abides in Him ought (NT:3784) himself also to walk
      >
      > just as He walked.
      >
      > NT:3784
      >
      > ·to be indebted to someone in a financial sense, owe someth. to
      > someone, be indebted to
      >
      > ·to be under obligation to meet certain social or moral expectations, owe
      >
      > ·to be constrained by circumstance, (best rendered by an auxiliary
      > verb) have to, ought
      >
      > ·Must
      >
      > (from A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other Early
      > Christian Literature, Third Edition. Copyright © 2000 by The
      > University of Chicago. All rights reserved.)

      I wonder why no translation has indebted!

      > NT:1163 “ought”as used in Acts 24:19a(“*_ought _*to have been here”)
      >
      > NT:5100 “ought” as used in Acts 24:19b (“if they had *_anything
      > [ought]_*against me.”)
      >
      > Acts 24:19
      >
      > They ought (NT:1163) to have been here before you to object if they
      > had anything (ought NT:5100)against me.
      >
      > NKJV
      >
      > or
      >
      > Acts 24:19
      >
      > Who ought to have been here before thee, and object, if they had ought
      > against me.
      >
      > KJV
      >
      > NT:1163
      >
      > ·to be under necessity of happening, it is necessary, one must, one
      > has to, denoting compulsion of any kind.
      >
      > ·to be someth. that should happen because of being fitting
      >
      > (from A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other Early
      > Christian Literature, Third Edition. Copyright © 2000 by The
      > University of Chicago. All rights reserved.)
      >
      > NT:5100
      >
      > tis (tis); an enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object:
      >
      > KJV - a (kind of), any man, anything, anything at all), certain
      > (thing), divers, ought,partly, some (man, -body, -thing, -what),
      > (+that no-) thing, what (-soever),wherewith, whom [-soever], whose
      > ([-soever]). (Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and
      > Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994,
      > 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)
      >
      > There are, James, a number of Greek words that have been rendered
      > “ought” in English Bibles.

      True. Your point being..?

      > In conclusion, If Jesus did walk on the water, we must also do
      > so.Peter did so!

      OK... Start walkin'! This I'd like to see folks. If I'm not mistaken I
      believe Mary Baker Eddy made the same claim. Are you a "Christian
      Science" person?

      > Though we know that this was an out and out miraculous event it means
      > something.It symbolic, a type of something else just is miraculous:

      So start walking!
      Jesus did many things... some of which were an expression of His Deity.
      Are you claiming you can do what He did as God?

      > Matt 14:25-33
      >
      > Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on
      > the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they
      > were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear.
      >
      > 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying,"Be of good cheer! It
      > is I; do not be afraid."
      >
      > 28 And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to
      > come to You on the water."
      >
      > 29 So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat,
      > he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the
      > wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried
      > out, saying, "Lord, save me!"
      >
      > 31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and
      > said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"32 And when
      > they got into the boat, the wind ceased.
      >
      > 33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying,
      > "Truly You are the Son of God."
      >
      > NKJV
      >
      > This passage reflects nearly the whole of the gospel message.

      I see. You think "walking on water" is the gospel message.

      James