27630Re: [apologetics and theology] Walk Worthy of the Lord

  • yielded777
    Mar 31, 2014

      James posted:

      On 3/30/2014 11:21 PM, yielded777@... wrote:

          > > What pleases the Lord? That we walk just as Jesus walked!

          > On water?

          > ps... your grammar/typos make it hard to decipher some of what you're

          > trying to say.

          > James

          > **JIM:  Did Jesus walk on the water?  Of course He did!

      Yes of course. So since you stated that we walk just as Jesus walked

      should we walk on water also?

          > 1 John 2:5-6

          > By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him

          > ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

          > NKJV

          > BTW, "ought' means to be indebted.

      (James)   It does???

      oughtJn 2:6 He who says he abides in Him is indebted himself also to walk

      just as He walked.

      Ac 24:19 Who indebted [ought] to have been here before thee, and

      object, if they had indebted [ought] against me.

      ??

      James

      ***JIM:    Yes, it does, James.

      “Ought”  as used in 1 John 2:6

      1Jn 2:6 He who says he abides in Him ought (NT:3784) himself also to walk

      just as He walked.

      NT:3784

      ·  to be indebted to someone in a financial sense, owe someth. to someone, be indebted to

      ·  to be under obligation to meet certain social or moral expectations, owe

      ·  to be constrained by circumstance, (best rendered by an auxiliary verb) have to, ought

      ·  Must

      (from A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other Early Christian Literature, Third Edition. Copyright © 2000 by The University of Chicago. All rights reserved.)

      NT:1163 “ought”  as used in Acts 24:19a   (“ought to have been here”)

      NT:5100 “ought” as used in Acts 24:19b (“if they had anything [ought] against me.”)

      Acts 24:19

      They ought (NT:1163) to have been here before you to object if they had anything (ought NT:5100)  against me.

      NKJV

      or

      Acts 24:19

      Who ought to have been here before thee, and object, if they had ought against me.

      KJV

      NT:1163

      ·  to be under necessity of happening, it is necessary, one must, one has to, denoting compulsion of any kind.

      ·  to be someth. that should happen because of being fitting

      (from A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other Early Christian Literature, Third Edition. Copyright © 2000 by The University of Chicago. All rights reserved.)

      NT:5100

      tis (tis); an enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object:

      KJV - a (kind of), any man, anything, anything at all), certain (thing), divers, ought,  partly, some (man, -body, -thing, -what), (+that no-) thing, what (-soever),  wherewith, whom [-soever], whose ([-soever]). (Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

      There are, James, a number of Greek words that have been rendered “ought” in English Bibles.

      In conclusion, If Jesus did walk on the water, we must also do so.  Peter did so!  Though we know that this was an out and out miraculous event it means something.  It symbolic, a type of something else just is miraculous:

      Matt 14:25-33

      Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea. 26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out for fear.

      27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying,  "Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid."

      28 And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."

      29 So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, "Lord, save me!"

      31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"  32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.

      33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, "Truly You are the Son of God."

      NKJV

      This passage reflects nearly the whole of the gospel message.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic