27610Re: [apologetics and theology] "Age of accountablity"

  • yielded777
    Mar 22, 2014
      Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000045365 StartFragment:0000021448 EndFragment:0000045325

      n 3/20/2014 6:25 PM, yielded777@... wrote:

          > **JIMBO:  I do see that scripture (Paul) states that sin was in the

          > world but that it is not imputed or charged where there is no law:

          > Rom 5:12-13

          > Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death

          > through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned —

          > 13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed

          > when there is no law.

          > NKJV

      Yes it says that doesn't it. Does that mean there were some folks born

      sinless?

      **JIMBO:  That, in my estimation, is the $64,000 question.  IF we look at Ezekiel 18 that answer might have to be yes:

      Ezek 18:1-5

      The word of the Lord  came to me again, saying, 2 "What do you mean when you use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying:

      'The fathers have eaten sour grapes,

      And the children's teeth are set on edge'?

      3 "As I live," says the Lord God , "you shall no longer use this proverb in Israel.

      4 "Behold, all souls are Mine;

      The soul of the father

      As well as the soul of the son is Mine;

      The soul who sins shall die.

      5

      NKJV

      Ezek 18:19-20

      Yet you say, 'Why should the son not bear the guilt of the father?' Because the son has done what is lawful and right, and has kept all My statutes and observed them, he shall surely live. 20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

      NKJV

      IF we interpret these texts in the traditional way then the answer would have to be no:

      Ex 20:5-6

      hall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord  your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6

      NKJV

      Ps 51:4-5

      Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

      5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

      KJV

      A challenge indeed.

          > It might be that Paul alludes to the allusive age of accountability in

          > the following:

          > Rom 7:9-10

          > I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin

          > revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I

          > found to bring death.

          > NKJV

      Nothing there about an age of accountability.

      **JIMBO:  Of course there is not anything specific in an allusion.  If it is an allusion was the point.  The question to be asked in my mind is what was the point at which the law “the commandment CAME.”  Certsainly Paul was born under the law.  It was already established such that his statement seems to mean that when the law “came” to him.

          > We know that the law pre-existed Paul so he must be speaking about his

          > early days of innocense before he was held accountable of right and

          > wrong.

      He must????

      **JIMBO:  Shall we simply close off intellect or reason in the evaluation of these issues?  It is not my intent to be dogmatic in this regard – just pursuing understanding.  I won’t summarily dismiss reason or query.  You??  Yes, I say “he must. . .”  Do you have an alternate view?

          > When he was introudced to the law he found that he had been sinning

          > all along perhaps.

      Correct... Romans 7

      Ro 7:9 For I was alive without the law once. But when the commandment

      came, sin revived and I died.

      Also the fact that death reigned "without the law" shows that sin was

      still very real.

      Ro 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over

      them that had not sinned after the likeness of Adam’s transgression, who

      is a figure of him that was to come.

      Yah!

      James... [Jimbo is ok too]

      **JIMBO:  I don’t follow this last statement –  Are you James also?

    • Show all 95 messages in this topic