My Utmost For His Highest : "The Call Of God"

  • gretchen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2011

      -/\/\-----------------------------------------------------------------
      \  /  MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST    --   Oswald Chambers
      --\/------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                          February  1, 2011

      THE CALL OF GOD

          For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the
          gospel.

          1 Corinthians 1:17
          http://www.SearchGodsWord.org/desk/?query=1co+1:17&sr=1

      Paul states here that the call of God is to preach the gospel; but
      remember what Paul means by "the gospel," viz., the reality of
      Redemption in our Lord Jesus Christ.

      We are apt to make
      sanctification the end-all of our preaching. Paul alludes to personal
      experience by way of illustration, never as the end of the matter. We
      are nowhere commissioned to preach salvation or sanctification; we
      are commissioned to lift up Jesus Christ (John 12:32).
      It is a
      travesty to say that Jesus Christ travailed in Redemption to make me
      a saint. Jesus Christ travailed in Redemption to redeem the whole
      world, and place it unimpaired and rehabilitated before the throne of
      God.
      The fact that Redemption can be experienced by us is an
      illustration of the power of the reality of Redemption, but that is
      not the end of Redemption.
      If God were human, how sick to the heart
      and weary He would be of the constant requests we make for our
      salvation, for our sanctification.
      We tax His energies from morning
      till night for things for ourselves - some thing for me to be
      delivered from! When we touch the bedrock of the reality of the
      Gospel of God, we shall never bother God any further with little
      personal plaints.

      The one passion of Paul's life was to proclaim the Gospel of God. He
      welcomed heart-breaks, disillusionments, tribulation, for one reason
      only, because these things kept him in unmoved devotion to the Gospel
      of God.

      MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST - by Oswald Chambers                /\/\
                                                                                                         \/

      This devotional is copyright Oswald Chambers Publications,
      < http://www.oswaldchambers.co.uk >.