Coffee Break - Flip That House

  • Lorraine
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
      Coffee Break

      "Flip That House"

      "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."  2 Corinthians 5:17

      There is a program on television called- "Flip That House".  The show is about people who buy houses to resale for profit.  Before they try to resale them, they go in and redo the house to make it more updated and appealing to buyers.  On the program they show you what the house looks like before the renovations and the finished product afterwards-- they also show you the whole process of the renovation.  Many of the houses are completely "gutted" and redone.  When they get finished with all the work, the end result in most cases is such a total transformation from the original design of the house-- the house is so completely redone, that it doesn't even look like the same house.

      Thanks for bearing with me, I'm not just "rambling" on about the program.  I said all that because it reminds me, in a sense, of our lives when we come to Christ.  When we come to Him, we are like those houses that are falling down, in need of repair, and not very desirable in it's present condition.  Christ comes in and then begins the process of changing us.  The "flippers" (as they are called on this program) have a vision for the house of how they want it to look, so they work toward that goal.  The Lord has a vision of how He wants us to look (like His Son).  His goal is to transform us into His image.  This is done through a process that involves "gutting" the old things- habits, attitudes, thought life.  He will also change the "floor plan"- changing those things that hinder our service so that all that we are can be "utilized" for His glory.  In many of the "flips" a fresh coat of paint is not enough.  The walls have to be torn out and replaced.  Many things in our lives have to be "torn out" (crucified) and replaced with His nature.  The flippers don't only work on the exterior, they work on the interior of the houses- even those things such as plumbing that aren't exposed on the surface.  The Lord does the same with us.  He doesn't only clean us up on the outside, He gets inside and deals with those hidden issues (the thoughts and intents of the heart).

      In many cases it's an expensive process, but the flippers feel it is worth it because of the return that they are going to get on their investment.  This transformation in our lives is "expensive" also- it cost the Lord Jesus everything-- His life, His blood ("ye are bought with a price").  But to Him it was worth it.  It was "the joy that was set before Him".  In the end His "investment" will give Him eternal joy.

      It's not a process that happens over night.  These flippers commit themselves to do whatever, for however long it takes.  The Lord is committed to "perfecting what concerns us" until we are changed "from glory to glory" for as long as it takes to make us into a "perfect" man.  You may be wondering what's going on in your life- why do you feel like you are being "torn apart" and "gutted".  Perhaps you are in this process.  The difference between the Lord and these flippers is-- He is not going to "resale" us, He wants us for His own-- and His work in us is not completed until we see Him face to face.  "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." (1 John 3:2)

      Have a great day.  Our life in Christ is a process of "total transformation".

      <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

      Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by Lorraine Ezell
      and is sent to you free of charge for the asking from
      About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
      Please feel free to
      call (601) 833-5278 or
      E-mail: """"
      mailto:mastersbusin ess@bellsouth. net""""
      Visit us on the web: """
      http://www.mastersb usiness.org""""

      You are welcomed to make copies and distribute them free of charge.
      You may also forward them via e-mail. Please remember to give credit to
      About the Master's Business Ministry.
      Take time to visit our on-line Christian magazine.

    • Lorraine