G8 prayer presentation

  • Karoly Peter Kosa
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005

      G8 prayer presentation

      On the eve of the G8 rally in Edinburgh, we are calling on Christians throughout the UK and Ireland to pray for momentous change that will transform the lives of the world’s poorest people.

      Prayer presentation

      • Click here to download a four-minute prayer presentation for you to use this week – so you can feel part of what’s going on (PPT, 2MB). See below for an introduction you can use for the presentation
      • Click here to download a song that Tim Hughes has written for Tearfund for 2005, which you can play as backing for the presentation (MP3, 3.5MB)

      (to save these files to your computer, right-click on the link and choose 'Save Target As...')

      While your documents download, please could you spare a couple of minutes to fill in a short questionnaire about how you plan to use this Prayer PowerPoint, so we can develop further resources that meet your needs. Click here to start the survey.

      Prayer is not the least we can do; it is the most.

      Please note - we will be updating the presentation over the weekend with the latest news and action from the G8 rally in Edinburgh, so that you can use it on Sunday 3 July. The final version will be available to 4pm on Saturday 2 July.

      Introduction

      Please use the following script as way to introduce the prayer PowerPoint as part of your service:

      Two hundred years ago, Christian activists like Wilberforce, Shaftesbury and Barnado made history.

      Their success in abolishing some of the worst aspects of poverty brought improved life for millions of people across the UK.

      Today, ordinary people, like you and me, can help win a significant breakthrough for millions of people across the globe, by influencing the world’s eight most powerful leaders.

      God hates poverty. He hates injustice – and there’s no place for apathy in his kingdom. We cannot ignore the plight of the world’s poorest people, who desperately need God’s love to bring them life in all its fullness.

      Rick Warren challenges the church, saying: I deeply believe that if we as evangelicals remain silent and do not speak up in defence of the poor, we lose our credibility and our right to witness about God's love for the world.

      In 1 John 3: 17, we read:  "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?"

      As we watch this four-minute Prayer presentation created by Tearfund, let’s ask our God to open the hearts and minds of prime ministers and presidents so that they will stop at nothing in releasing people from the grip of poverty.

      This page was last updated on 29 June 2005

      http://www.tearfund.org/Campaigning/

    • Karoly Peter Kosa