40454Ready to Celebrate

  • Stephen Hall
    Jan 7, 2014

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    NOTES FROM THE VALLEY
    January 5, 2014
    "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil for you are with me." Psalm 23.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    READY TO CELEBRATE

    We had a really special New Year’s Eve this year, quietly shared at home with our granddaughters Kayla and Torrey. Oh how the little ones struggled to stay awake to watch te ball drop. But as the evening wore on, they wore down, until both were peacefully asleep in Gramma’s arms. What a sight to warm this old Grampa’s heart.

    Watching all the people celebrating on the television with my "ladies", put me in mind of another celebration I’d like to talk about this week. In the Book of Luke, Jesus tells some parables about three individuals: a shepherd, a housewife, and a father. And about three losses: a sheep, a coin and a son. And when the lost are found, three celebrations, three parties with everyone in the neighborhood invited.
    The lesson of those parables is amazing to me. You see, I was once lost. But through the grace of God and a caring soul He sent after me, I was found. And on that day, the very moment that I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, everyone in heaven stopped what they were doing and had a party. They celebrated over me. Just as they celebrated over each of you. What an awesome thought. What a tremendous blessing when you’re feeling down and alone. And there is more . . .

    In the book, "Just Like Jesus" Max Lucado writes, "Why do Jesus and his angels rejoice over one repenting sinner? Can they see something we can’t? Do they know something we don’t? Absolutely. They know what heaven holds. They’ve seen the table, and they’ve heard the music, and they can’t wait to see your face when you arrive. Better still, they can’t wait to see you. When you arrive and enter the party, something wonderful will happen. A final transformation will occur. You will be just like Jesus. Drink deeply from 1 John 3:2; ‘We have not yet been shown what we will be in the future. But we know that when Christ comes again, we will be like him.’ Of all the blessings of heaven, one of the greatest will be you! You will be God’s magnum opus, his work of art. The angels will gasp. God’s work will be completed. At last, you have a heart like his. You will love with a perfect love. You will worship with a radiant face. You’ll hear each word God speaks. Your heart will be pure, your words will be jewels, your thoughts will be treasures. You will be just like Jesus."

    What a message of hope as we prepare for the new year ahead. Hidden in words God penned to us thousands of years ago; revealed in a instant by His Holy Spirit. The whispered promise to those who will listen, "No matter where you are or what you are struggling with today, because of Jesus there is a day coming that all of heaven is preparing to celebrate. The day we welcome you home."

    Sheltered under His wing and overwhelmed by His love,
    Steve

    HE WILL FIND YOU
    John Powell, a professor at Loyola University in Chicago writes about a student in his Theology of Faith class named Tommy:

    "Some twelve years ago, I stood watching my university students file into the classroom for our first session in the Theology of Faith. That was the first day I first saw Tommy. My eyes and my mind both blinked. He was combing his long flaxen hair, which hung six inches below his shoulders. It was the first time I had ever seen a boy with hair that long. I guess it was just coming into fashion then. I know in my mind that it isn't what's on your head but what's in it that counts; but on that day I was unprepared and my emotions flipped. I immediately filed Tommy under "S" for strange . . . very strange.

    Tommy turned out to be the "atheist in residence" in my Theology of Faith course. He constantly objected to, smirked at, or whined about the possibility of an unconditionally loving Father-God. We lived with each other in relative peace for one semester, although I admit he was for me at times a serious pain in the back pew. When he came up at the end of the course to turn in his final exam, he asked in a slightly cynical tone: "Do you think I'll ever find God?"

    I decided instantly on a little shock therapy. "No!" I said very emphatically.

    "Oh," he responded, "I thought that was the product you were pushing."

    I let him get five steps from the classroom door and then called out: "Tommy! I don't think you'll ever find him, but I am absolutely certain that he will find you!" He shrugged a little and left my class and my life. I felt slightly disappointed at the thought that he had missed my clever line: "He will find you!" At least I thought it was clever. Later I heard that Tommy had graduated and I was duly grateful. Then a sad report , I heard that Tommy had terminal cancer. Before I could search him out, he came to see me. When he walked into my office, his body was very badly wasted, and the long hair had all fallen out as a result of chemotherapy. But his eyes were bright and his voice was firm, for the first time, I believe. "Tommy, I've thought about you so often. I hear you are sick !" I blurted out.

    "Oh, yes, very sick. I have cancer in both lungs. It's a matter of weeks."

    "Can you talk about it, Tom?"

    "Sure, what would you like to know?"

    "What's it like to be only twenty-four and dying?"

    "We'll, it could be worse."

    "Like what?"

    "Well, like being fifty and having no values or ideals. Like being fifty and thinking that booze, seducing women, and making money are the real 'biggies' in life."

    I began to look through my mental file cabinet under "S" where I had filed Tommy as strange. (It seems as though everybody I try to reject by classification God sends back into my life to educate me.)

    "But what I really came to see you about," Tom said, " is something you said to me on the last day of class. (He remembered!) I asked you if you thought I would ever find God, and you said, 'No!' which surprised me. Then you said, 'But he will find you.' I thought about that a lot, even though my search for God was hardly intense at that time. But when the doctors removed a lump from my groin and told me that it was malignant, then I got serious about locating God. And when the malignancy spread into my vital organs, I really began banging bloody fists against the bronze doors of heaven. But God did not come out. In fact, nothing happened. Did you ever try anything for a long time with great effort and with no success? You get psychologically glutted, fed up with trying. And then you quit."

    "Well, one day I woke up, and instead of throwing a few more futile appeals over that high brick wall to a God who may be or may not be there, I just quit. I decided that I didn't really care . . . about God, about an afterlife, or anything like that. I decided to spend what time I had left doing something more profitable. I thought about you and your class and I remembered something else you had said: 'The essential sadness is to go through life without loving. But it would be almost equally sad to go through life and leave this world without ever telling those you loved that you had loved them. So I began with the hardest one: my Dad. He was reading the newspaper when I approached him."

    "Dad . . . "

    "Yes, what?" he asked without lowering the newspaper.

    "Dad, I would like to talk with you."

    "Well, talk."

    "I mean . . . It's really important."

    The newspaper came down three slow inches. "What is it?"

    "Dad, I love you. I just wanted you to know that."

    Tom smiled at me and said with obvious satisfaction, as though he felt a warm and secret joy flowing inside of him: "The newspaper fluttered to the floor. Then my father did two things I could never remember him ever doing before. He cried and he hugged me. And we talked all night, even though he had to go to work the next morning. It felt so good to be close to my father, to see his tears, to feel his hug, to hear him say that he loved me."

    "It was easier with my mother and little brother. They cried with me, too, and we hugged each other, and started saying real nice things to each other. We shared the things we had been keeping secret for so many years. I was only sorry about one thing: that I had waited so long. Here I was just beginning to open up to all the people I had actually been close to.

    Then, one day I turned around and God was there. He didn't come to me when I pleaded with him. I guess I was like an animal trainer holding out a hoop, 'C'mon, jump through. 'C'mon, I'll give you three days . . . three weeks.' Apparently God does things in his own way and at his own hour. But the important thing is that he was there. He found me. You were right. He found me even after I stopped looking for him"

    "Tommy," I practically gasped, "I think you are saying something very important and much more universal than you realize. To me, at least, you are saying that the surest way to find God is not to make him a private possession, a problem solver, or an instant consolation in time of need, but rather by opening to love. You know, the Apostle John said that. He said, "God is love, and anyone who lives in love is living with God, and God is living in him."

    "Tom, could I ask you a favor? You know, when I had you in class you were a real pain. But (laughingly) you can make it all up to me now. Would you come into my present Theology of Faith course and tell them what you have just told me? If I told them the same thing it wouldn't be half as effective as if you were to tell them."

    "Oooh . . . I was ready for you, but I don't know if I'm ready for your class."

    "Tom, think about it. If and when you are ready, give me a call."

    In a few days Tommy called, said he was ready for the class, that he wanted to do that for God and for me. So we scheduled a date. However, he never made it. He had another appointment, far more important than the one with me and my class. Of course, his life was not really ended by his death, only changed. He made the great step from faith into vision. He found a life far more beautiful than the eye of man has ever seen or the ear of man has ever heard or the mind of man has ever imagined. Before he died, we talked one last time. "I'm not going to make it to your class," he said.

    "I know, Tom."

    "Will you tell them for me? Will you... tell the whole world for me?"

    "I will, Tom. I'll tell them. I'll do my best."

    So, to all of you who have been kind enough to hear this simple statement about love, thank you for listening. And to you, Tommy, somewhere in the sunlit, verdant hills of heaven: "I told them, Tommy . . . as best I could."

    Copyright © 1998 - 2014 by Stephen J. Hall - Notes from the Valley and Humor from the Valley are meant to brighten your day and encourage you along the way. If you are blessed by them, please feel free to make copies and pass them along to others. If you have something you’d like to contribute to a future edition or would like to ask us a question or make a comment, please contact us at: sossteve2010@...

    Your love, God, is my song, and I'll sing it! I'm forever telling everyone how faithful you are. I'll never quit telling the story of your love . . . (Psalm 89:1-2 The Message)

  • Show all 2 messages in this topic