Desperately running out of room....

  • Victoria L. Herring
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2007
      I'm trying to come up with a plan as to how to work with Aperture --
      I have a G5 with a 160G and a 500G and multiple externals now and
      things are all spread out over them == in the meantime I now also
      have a MacPro with a 500G main bay and 2 750 G bays open....I haven't
      had time til now to move anything over but now I'm concerned that
      I'll do it wrong.

      My thought would be to have the Aperture program on the main CPU and
      use referenced files and keep them on the two other bays [and a
      possible 3rd I suppose or use that for backup] though I generally
      like to keep current pics on the CPU as well....

      does anyone have any suggestion of how best to work this before I go
      to the trouble of moving stuff from the various locations it is now
      all in.???
      --
      Victoria L. Herring, Attorney, Travel Research & Photography site,
      <http://www.JourneyZing.com>; Online Gallery at
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2007
        Victoria,
        I'll be facing the same issue as I've just ordered a Mac Pro and will
        be migrating from my G5.

        It's actually easy to move user files and applications (for the most part*).

        You just reboot the G5 into target disk mode (hold down 't' while
        rebooting), connect the 2 computers with Firewire, and use Migration
        Assistant (in your Applications / Utilities folder). It'll happily
        move all the user stuff from one computer to the other; applications,
        too, if you want them.

        * Applications with limited installs (Cubase, Finale, etc., need to
        be uninstalled / deauthorized prior to moving). Some things (like
        drivers and hardware-specific software [scanner software, etc.]) will
        need to be reinstalled.

        You might do a quick analysis and see how much room your Aperture
        libraries / referenced files take up so you can plan your disk space
        accordingly.

        Let us know what you come up with and how its working out for you.

        -thanks, mike
        Mike Youngberg: youngberg101 AT sanbrunocable DOT com
        >>> Check out my church at http://www.hccwired.org
      • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2007
          I finally moved on from by dreaded G5. Those that have been on this list for a while know I have not been happy, in fact that is part of what led to the creation of this list. I visited an Apple store and played around with Aperture on one of the new iMacs and it worked great, epically given my experience with my G5. So while I was hesitant (I preferred the MacPro) I ended up with an iMac and several external firewire 800 drives from MacSales. For me the setup works great. Yes the stack of drives just keeps growing but this is the nature of the beast.

          Just my experience.

          On 10/13/07, Mike Youngberg < youngberg101@...> wrote:

          Victoria,
          I'll be facing the same issue as I've just ordered a Mac Pro and will
          be migrating from my G5.

          It's actually easy to move user files and applications (for the most part*).

          You just reboot the G5 into target disk mode (hold down 't' while
          rebooting), connect the 2 computers with Firewire, and use Migration
          Assistant (in your Applications / Utilities folder). It'll happily
          move all the user stuff from one computer to the other; applications,
          too, if you want them.

          * Applications with limited installs (Cubase, Finale, etc., need to
          be uninstalled / deauthorized prior to moving). Some things (like
          drivers and hardware-specific software [scanner software, etc.]) will
          need to be reinstalled.

          You might do a quick analysis and see how much room your Aperture
          libraries / referenced files take up so you can plan your disk space
          accordingly.

          Let us know what you come up with and how its working out for you.

          -thanks, mike
          Mike Youngberg: youngberg101 AT sanbrunocable DOT com
          >>> Check out my church at http://www.hccwired.org

          --
          ALEJANDRO  RODRIGUEZ  PHOTOGRAPHY
          studio 305-361-1992  |  toll free 888-815-0392  |  fax 305-847-7787
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2007
            My G5 has been great but looking forward to moving to the MP -- I do
            need to cut back on what Apps I have on the main CPU and can migrate
            etc. [have done that easily] - on another list I checked and they
            said that I could have a 1T disk inside along side 750G disks so I
            may get 1T disk and add that to one of hte bays....I need to come up
            with some logic for the system however...that's the problem, too much
            stuff and too many places to put it...