Is there any reason at all to keep Rejected items?

  • Victoria L. Herring
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
      I have tagged a bunch of images as X= rejected. Not everything and
      there are plenty of 1's and 2's around to use...any reason not to
      delete the Rejects???
      --
      Victoria L. Herring, Attorney, Travel Research & Photography site,
      <http://www.JourneyZing.com> [NEW: Athens/Greece Trip Report] ;
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
        On 12 Apr 2007, at 19:50, Victoria L. Herring wrote:

        > I have tagged a bunch of images as X= rejected. Not everything and
        > there are plenty of 1's and 2's around to use...any reason not to
        > delete the Rejects???

        If they are truly hopeless, then it is probably just fine to delete
        them -- black frames, white frames, totally off focus, etc.
        Otherwise it depends on the type of work that you do. It is hard to
        predict how the world will change and what will make images valuable
        -- since disk space is cheap, I'd be inclined to keep them if it
        seemed like there was any chance of the images becoming valuable.
        For example buildings -- keep. A table setting or a close up of a
        flower -- those seem safer to delete.

        Doug
        --
        Douglas Urner, photographer <dlu@...> Port Orchard, WA +1 360
        769.5565

        http://www.canishe.com
      • Victoria L. Herring
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
          Thanks Doug....these are really bad, in the sense there is something
          very bad about them [travel shots, people, places, shadow, light,
          pattern = but not good enough to work with] - as it is I have plenty
          of 1s and 2s so I see no reason to save these, but wanted to be
          sure....space may be cheap but there is a limit and finding things
          down the road may be difficult...not enough time to work with all
          images. Thanks for the view.
          --
          Victoria L. Herring, Attorney, Travel Research & Photography site,
          <http://www.JourneyZing.com> [NEW: Athens/Greece Trip Report] ;
          Online Gallery at http://victoriajz.smugmug.com Images up now at
          Arte Gallery, East Village in Des Moines, and you can view them
          online at http://web.mac.com/victoriaherring/iWeb/Gallery .
        • Craig Hind
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
            Hi,

            What I tend to do is keep all my raw images in Aperture where they
            have a star rating. I don't tend to use the reject rating, but after
            I have finished rating a project I will then export all images to
            JPEG, 1680x1680, quality 8, so that I always have a copy and store
            that on a removable drive, then I delete all the images that have no
            rating (or in your case that you rejected.)

            I know plenty of photographers that keep every single image they take
            regardless of how bad it is, myself included, but that might just be
            pedantic! :-)

            Regards
            Craig

            On 4/13/07, Victoria L. Herring <lists@...> wrote:

            > I have tagged a bunch of images as X= rejected. Not everything and
            > there are plenty of 1's and 2's around to use...any reason not to
            > delete the Rejects???
            > --
            > Victoria L. Herring, Attorney, Travel Research & Photography site,
            > <http://www.JourneyZing.com> [NEW: Athens/Greece Trip Report] ;
            > Online Gallery at http://victoriajz.smugmug.com Images up now at
            > Arte Gallery, East Village in Des Moines, and you can view them
            > online at http://web.mac.com/victoriaherring/iWeb/Gallery .

            Craig Hind
            Durban, South Africa

            2005 Toyota Prius Hybrid, Silver, ODO 27424km (17040 miles)
            Current Consumption: 5.7l/100km (41 US MPG)
            Best Consumption/tank: 5.1l/100km (46 US MPG)
            Worst Consumption/tank: 7.3l/100km (32 US MPG)
            Average Consumption/tank: 6.0l/100km (39 US MPG)

            STOP CLIMATE CHANGE/GLOBAL WARMING

            Watch "An Inconvenient Truth", for the scary truth about global climate change.

            If you love your planet...
            If you love your children...
            You have to see this film.

            We have to act together, to solve this global crisis. Our ability to
            live, is what is at stake.

            http://www.climatecrisis.net/
          • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 13, 2007
              I think this is something everyone needs to decide on your own. I keep
              everything but cant say I have a "good" reason to. Unless it is
              clearly garbage like all black, etc I keep it. I have asked myself
              that same thing many times but always error on the side of caution and
              keep them. Given the cost of hard drive space, its ok to keep them for
              me.

              Alex

              On 4/12/07, Victoria L. Herring <lists@...> wrote:

              > I have tagged a bunch of images as X= rejected. Not everything and
              > there are plenty of 1's and 2's around to use...any reason not to
              > delete the Rejects???
              > --
              > Victoria L. Herring, Attorney, Travel Research & Photography site,
              > <http://www.JourneyZing.com> [NEW: Athens/Greece Trip Report] ;
              > Online Gallery at http://victoriajz.smugmug.com Images up now at
              > Arte Gallery, East Village in Des Moines, and you can view them
              > online at http://web.mac.com/victoriaherring/iWeb/Gallery .

              --
              ALEJANDRO RODRIGUEZ PHOTOGRAPHY
              studio 786-206-6377 | toll free 888-815-0392 | fax 305-847-7787
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 13, 2007
                I'm deleting stuff

                It seems to me that keeping images i don't need/like etc only clogs up an already slow application - and hogs space that i'm running out of... so I'm purging as much as i can...

                but as Alex said, that's a personal opinion and everyone has different reasons.

                Mitch

                Brentwood Portrait Photographer:

                Hey designers/newsletter writers - need some photos for your publications/websites?
                Find my stuff and more here:

                My latest images for sale at shutterstock:
                http://www.shutterstock.com/?rid=52436  (use this link as a photo buyer)
                http://submit.shutterstock.com/?ref=52436 (use this link to join as a
                photographer)

                My new LuckyOliver images:

                On 4/12/07, Victoria L. Herring <lists@journeyzing.com> wrote:

                > I have tagged a bunch of images as X= rejected. Not everything and
                > there are plenty of 1's and 2's around to use...any reason not to
                > delete the Rejects???
                > --
                > Victoria L. Herring, Attorney, Travel Research & Photography site,
                > <http://www.JourneyZing.com> [NEW: Athens/Greece Trip Report] ;
                > Online Gallery at http://victoriajz.smugmug.com. Images up now at
                > Arte Gallery, East Village in Des Moines, and you can view them
                > online at http://web.mac.com/victoriaherring/iWeb/Gallery .

                --
                ALEJANDRO RODRIGUEZ PHOTOGRAPHY
                studio 786-206-6377 | toll free 888-815-0392 | fax 305-847-7787
                14844 SW 46 Lane | Miami | Florida | 33185
                http://Alejandro-Rodriguez.com | Alex@SDPiMail.com

              • Victoria L. Herring
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 13, 2007
                  >Hi,
                  >
                  >What I tend to do is keep all my raw images in Aperture where they
                  >have a star rating. I don't tend to use the reject rating, but after
                  >I have finished rating a project I will then export all images to
                  >JPEG, 1680x1680, quality 8, so that I always have a copy and store
                  >that on a removable drive, then I delete all the images that have no
                  >rating (or in your case that you rejected.)

                  That's a good alternative....I do use the reject rating to REALLY
                  identify those not worth even touching again but it'd also be a good
                  way to clean out 1's and 2's that are taking up space and not worthy
                  of consideration - I'm not a studio or professional photographer so
                  the 1s and 2s may not be worth saving either but I can't bear to
                  reject them...thanks for the suggestion
                  --
                  Victoria L. Herring, Attorney, Travel Research & Photography site,
                  <http://www.JourneyZing.com> [NEW: Athens/Greece Trip Report] ;
                  Online Gallery at http://victoriajz.smugmug.com Images up now at
                  Arte Gallery, East Village in Des Moines, and you can view them
                  online at http://web.mac.com/victoriaherring/iWeb/Gallery .
                • Keven Fedirko
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 26, 2008
                    Posted by: "Victoria L. Herring" lists@... victoriaherring
                    Date: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:54 pm ((PDT))

                    Really old post that I just read today - and I'd never used the
                    "reject" flag yet - it scared me - always prefered to completely
                    delete them from the library (and reference file) one by one - early
                    on, I found some instances where the reference would not get deleted.

                    Just tried it [reject] in v2.1 - and you can reject very fast, then
                    at the end of your work session just show all the rejects, and delete
                    them all in one shot at the end (control-8 shows just the rejects) -
                    if you then select them all and do a "File->Delete Master and all
                    versions" command.

                    When I did them one-by-one, there are two dialogs that pop up, and if
                    the retouch or Lift/Stamp dialogs are open, they get closed down, so
                    using reject is a much, much quicker and efficient work-flow strategy.

                    k.