Re: [aperture] AIT Radeon X1900 for G5

  • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2006
      I have been searching but have not been able to find anything. Anyone know cost yet?

      On Oct 31, 2006, at 5:18 PM, Jeffrey Smith wrote:

      For those of us with G5s equipped with the lousy GeForce 6600 card,
      this is big news!

      http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1900/RadeonX1900G5/index.html

      I don't see any mention of availability. Anyone know is this is now
      shipping?

    • railographer

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2006
            Alex -
            Thanks for the tip - its strange as I didn't see it on ATI's site ( for sale) but you were right, it's
            available on macsales.com.  This is a great option for G5 ( PCI-Express) owners. Looking fwd
            to hearing what you think,

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2006
                On 9 Nov 2006, at 15:11, clementus wrote:

                Thanks for the tip - its strange as I didn't see it on ATI's site ( for sale) but you were right, it's
                available on macsales.com.  This is a great option for G5 ( PCI-Express) owners. Looking fwd to hearing what you think,

                Does anybody have recommendations for a card for the older G5 (PCI-X) machines?  In this case an original 2.0 GHz dual G5 that came with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (64 MB of VRAM).

                Thanks, Doug

              • Sam McCandless
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 12, 2006
                  I can't remember, Doug, which cards the self-described "mad scientist" at BareFeats.com has suggested, but I do remember his going into this Mac model by Mac model over the years. He's also now seriously interested in how various details, including the cards and even how they are clocked, etc., relate to Aperture performance specifically. So, in addition to what you hear on this list, you might want to check out <http://www.barefeats.com/>. You mighty also consider posting your inquiry on MacInTouch.com's Aperture forum too.
                  --
                  Sam, whose even older PowerMac has PCI (no X) graphics

                  On Nov 12, 2006, at 8:12 AM, Douglas Urner wrote:

                  On 9 Nov 2006, at 15:11, clementus wrote:

                  Thanks for the tip - its strange as I didn't see it on ATI's site ( for sale) but you were right, it's
                  available on macsales.com.  This is a great option for G5 ( PCI-Express) owners. Looking fwd to hearing what you think,

                  Does anybody have recommendations for a card for the older G5 (PCI-X) machines?  In this case an original 2.0 GHz dual G5 that came with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (64 MB of VRAM).

                  Thanks, Doug
                • Yann Nicolas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2006
                    I got an ATI X850 a few month ago as an upgrade to the stock 9800.  I think it's the best thing available for the original G5s.  It has helped a little, but not that much IMHO.  Aperture is much more usable on my MacBook Pro.

                    I think I may have to take the plunge and get a MacPro soon.

                    Speaking of, does anyone know if Aperture will take advantage of the dual 4-cores Clovertown processory over the current quad setup (presumably when it's announced)?  i.e. will it make a significant difference?

                    /yann

                    On 11/12/06, Sam McCandless <samcc@...> wrote:

[...]

                  • Eric Welch
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006
                      I got the X800 XT for the dual 2Ghz G5 and found it to make a significant difference in speed with my dual 2GHz G5 with 3.5 gigs of RAM. Especially with earlier version of Aperture. It really flies now. Even with my 16.7 megapixel photos from the 1Ds Mark II at work. Even faster with my own Nikon D200.

                      Eric

                      Carlsbad, CA

                      If a writer wrote merely for his time, I would have to break my pen and throw it away. - Victor Hugo

                    • Keven Fedirko
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 13, 2006
                        I just ordered one from my local dealer - they said it's a fresh
                        product, so hopefully I can get my hands on one in 1 to 2 weeks time.
                        Can't wait!

                        k.
                        --

                        - natural light portraits : http://www.kevenfedirko.com/