[aperture] Pls Help ...Memory question

  • Debbi
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
      I just loaded about 100 RAW images into Aperture and I have just
      received a message from the program that says
      'Running Critically low on disk space. Please create more disk space
      on "Macintosh HD". If you do not create free space on "Macintosh HD",
      your Aperture library will be damaged.'

      I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but what is it telling me to do, buy more
      memory? Allocate..something somewhere? Make a DVD and delete the
      images??
      Thanks in Advance,
      Debbi
      --
      Debbi in California
      http://www.pbase.com/debbi

      Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
    • robert a. staehle
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
        This is not a RAM issue it's a hard drive issue. Basically there are
        two primary types of memory used by the computer. One is storage =
        hard disk. The second is RAM = Random Access Memory. The RAM is used
        by applications that are functioning while the computer is turned
        on. The hard disk is used to store data. Aperture is complaining
        that you are running low on hard disk space. You have too many files
        and some need to be cleared off to make space.

        If you machine has a 60 gigabyte hard disk and you shoot photographs
        to a 1 gigabyte flash memory card that basically means you could fill
        the card 60 times. In reality that's not true since the operating
        system (OS X) needs about 4 gigabytes minimum and can use much more
        if it's not properly maintained, the Aperture application uses some
        memory, all the other applications stored on your hard disk also use
        up space.

        Hope this helps at least give you basic understanding of what
        Aperture is complaining about.

        Bob

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        robert staehle
        principal + architect
        apple consultant
        VIZf/x
        digital environments
        (925) 672 8600 Pacific Time
        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

        On Jun 1, 2006, at 7:14 PM, Debbi wrote:

        > I just loaded about 100 RAW images into Aperture and I have just
        > received a message from the program that says
        > 'Running Critically low on disk space. Please create more disk space
        > on "Macintosh HD". If you do not create free space on "Macintosh HD",
        > your Aperture library will be damaged.'
        >
        > I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but what is it telling me to do, buy more
        > memory? Allocate..something somewhere? Make a DVD and delete the
        > images??
        > Thanks in Advance,
        > Debbi
        > --
        > Debbi in California
        > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
        >
        > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
        > loved!

        > ~-->
        > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
        > See how.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/e4wwlB/TM

      • Debbi
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
          Re: [aperture] Pls Help ...Memory question
          When I download my camera I use iphoto, then I open Aperture and bring the photos in. So does that mean I'm doubling the memory for each image? Yikes..I need to make some dvd's and move stuff of my hard drive.
          Debbi

          This is not a RAM issue it's a hard drive issue.  Basically there are
          two primary types of memory used by the computer.  One is storage =
          hard disk. The second is RAM = Random Access Memory.  The RAM is used
          by applications that are functioning while the computer is turned
          on.  The hard disk is used to store data.  Aperture is complaining
          that you are running low on hard disk space.  You have too many files
          and some need to be cleared off to make space.

          If you machine has a 60 gigabyte hard disk and you shoot photographs
          to a 1 gigabyte flash memory card that basically means you could fill
          the card 60 times.  In reality that's not true since the operating
          system (OS X) needs about 4 gigabytes minimum and can use much more
          if it's not properly maintained, the Aperture application uses some
          memory, all the other applications stored on your hard disk also use
          up space.

          Hope this helps at least give you basic understanding of what
          Aperture is complaining about.

          Bob

          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          robert staehle
          principal + architect
          apple consultant
          VIZf/x
          digital environments
          (925) 672 8600 Pacific Time
          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

          On Jun 1, 2006, at 7:14 PM, Debbi wrote:

          > I just loaded about 100 RAW images into Aperture and I have just
          > received a message from the program that says
          >   'Running Critically low on disk space. Please create more disk space
          > on "Macintosh HD". If you do not create free space on "Macintosh HD",
          > your Aperture library will be damaged.'
          >
          > I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but what is it telling me to do, buy more
          > memory? Allocate..something somewhere? Make a DVD and delete the
          > images??
          > Thanks in Advance,
          > Debbi
          > --
          > Debbi in California
          > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
          >
          > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
          > loved!

          > ~-->
          > You can search right from your browser? It's easy and it's free.
          > See how.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/e4wwlB/TM

          Image processing software Image processing Digital image processing Image processing system Mentor graphics Embossed graphics

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          --

          Debbi in California
          http://www.pbase.com/debbi

          Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
        • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
            I think you may be keeping two copies of each photo. One in the
            iPhoto library and another in Aperture's. I would say just take them
            straight to Aperture.

            Alex

            On Jun 1, 2006, at 10:33 PM, Debbi wrote:

            > When I download my camera I use iphoto, then I open Aperture and
            > bring the photos in. So does that mean I'm doubling the memory for
            > each image? Yikes..I need to make some dvd's and move stuff of my
            > hard drive.
            > Debbi
          • Stroller
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
              On 2 Jun 2006, at 03:14, Debbi wrote:

              > I just loaded about 100 RAW images into Aperture and I have just
              > received a message from the program that says
              > 'Running Critically low on disk space. Please create more disk space
              > on "Macintosh HD".

              HI Debbie,

              Further to precious replies, it may help to know how big your hard-
              drive is and what is consuming the space on it.

              On a few occasions recently I've heard of a log-file getting carried
              away and consuming half the drive - since a logfile is just a plain-
              text record of some of the stuff the computer has been doing recently
              it isn't important enough to waste so much space on, and can be
              safely deleted.

              I suggest using a program like WhatSize to find out where all your
              disk space is gone - I believe there are some more graphical
              utilities, but I can't find them right now, and this works good for
              me. http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize

              You'll see that your "Macintosh HD" is some tens of GB (gigabytes) in
              size, and then in it are all these folders. Some relate to the
              folders you can see by double-clicking on the "Macintosh HD" icon on
              your desktop, but others are hidden in the Finder. Don't worry about
              that - you can't do any harm with WhatSize as long as you stay away
              from the "delete" button!

              WhatSize will take some time to work out how big each folder on your
              disk is, but look for the ones in red - if you have a 100GB hard-
              drive then a 10GB folder is consuming 10% of it. What's in that 10GB
              folder? Anything that looks significant? Anything that looks
              unimportant? Have a look around & tell us what you see, but you
              should probably only worry about the red folders, which are marked
              with numbers followed by "GB". What's the total capacity of
              "Macintosh HD", its "used" and "unused" GB?

              On my system:
              Applications is 10GB - I'm quite happy about that
              Users/stroller/Music is 20.1GB - fair enough
              Users/stroller/Pictures is 14.1GB - blimey! I've only had my dSLR
              since January!
              Library is 9.72GB - a lot of this could be deleted, as it's:
              Library/Application Support/Garage Band - 1.91GB - just
              instruments & stuff
              Library/Application Support/iDVD - 1.68GB of themes
              Library/Audio - another 2.48GB of crap

              It's normal for /private/var/vm to be large, but /private/var/log
              should be small - only a few MB (a megabyte is one thousandth of a
              gigabyte).

              If one of your logs is too big then the following should take care of
              it - you can safely do this anyway just as "house keeping":

              Using your Admin account, you can execute all three maintenance
              scripts at once, as follows:
              Launch Terminal, in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities
              folder.
              At the Terminal prompt, type the following, exactly as written:
              sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
              Press Return.
              Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
              All three scripts will run in sequence. There is no visual feedback
              while the scripts execute. You will know they are completed when
              the Terminal prompt returns.
              (excerpted from <http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html>)

              You might find that lots of space is liberated simply by emptying the
              trash, but if you genuinely have lots of data that's filling up your
              hard-drive then you will need more space for your files. You could do
              this by buying an external firewire drive and moving your data (maybe
              your Aperture &/or iTunes libraries) there, or have the internal
              system drive replaced with a larger one and the whole "Macintosh HD"
              cloned onto it. Which is best will depend on your system, so let us
              know what model of Mac you have and what the total capacity of
              "Macintosh HD" is.

              Stroller.
            • robert a. staehle
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                yes, based on what you said I'm confident you are storing two full
                size versions of each image. Not a bad backup strategy, but the
                Aperture vault is a much better solution. You might want to look
                into picking up a firewire drive to create a vault on.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                  These are mostly very good suggestions. (some of these are all
                  exactly what I had implied in my original post with the 'properly
                  maintained' system. BUT... you need to be very very careful with a
                  few of the suggestions made here. Rather than running the Terminal
                  application and manually running the cron tasks there are several
                  good gui utilities which can be located on http://
                  www.versiontracker.com Look for MacJanitor is one of my favorites
                  and easy to understand for novice users. MacHelpMate is also an
                  excellent tool and was developed by a member of the Apple Consultant
                  Network. Also frequently overlooked is the 'Repair Permissions'
                  routine that is part of the /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
                  application.

                  The comment about a lot of files could be deleted from the /Library
                  directory is very very very dangerous. The Operating system has many
                  dependancies that reside in the /Library directory. Simply going
                  into this directory and randomly deleting files that you don't think
                  you need could make your machine non-bootable.

                  The mention of rouge log files is very true. Especially if something
                  has gone haywire with a network connection or device that has been
                  removed 'non-elegantly'. In cases like this the operating system can
                  be writing several messages a second to the log file about the
                  perceived problem. This is what will cause those files to grow
                  rapidly and out of control. So, if you do have a log file that has
                  gone haywire it's best to read what it's saying before you delete the
                  file. That way the problem can be resolved prior to the file
                  starting to grow out of control again.

                  On Jun 1, 2006, at 8:45 PM, Stroller wrote:

> [...]
                  > the Terminal prompt returns.
                  > (excerpted from <http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html>)
                  >
                  > You might find that lots of space is liberated simply by emptying the
                  > trash, but if you genuinely have lots of data that's filling up your
                  > hard-drive then you will need more space for your files. You could do
                  > this by buying an external firewire drive and moving your data (maybe
                  > your Aperture &/or iTunes libraries) there, or have the internal
                  > system drive replaced with a larger one and the whole "Macintosh HD"
                  > cloned onto it. Which is best will depend on your system, so let us
                  > know what model of Mac you have and what the total capacity of
                  > "Macintosh HD" is.
                  >
                  > Stroller.

                  > ~-->
                  > Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy

                • Debbi
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 1, 2006
                    Thank you all...first off No more iphoto!!! I do see that I was
                    duplicating all my huge RAW images. I'm now in the process of coping
                    and deleting those in iphoto.
                    I will have to digest the other info given tomorrow.
                    Thank you all so much!!
                    Debbi

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                      On 2 Jun 2006, at 05:29, robert a. staehle wrote:
                      > ... you need to be very very careful with a
                      > few of the suggestions made here. Rather than running the Terminal
                      > application and manually running the cron tasks....

                      I would be intrigued to know how running `sudo periodic daily weekly
                      monthly` might require care.

                      But then I am extremely comfortable with the command line, as I am
                      confident that it will do the right thing. Many Mac users do not seem
                      to share this confidence and prefer closed-source shareware, with GUI
                      buttons & checkboxes, to call the same commands; how do you know that
                      the programmer knows his business?

                      > The comment about a lot of files could be deleted from the /Library
                      > directory is very very very dangerous.... Simply going
                      > into this directory and randomly deleting files that you don't think
                      > you need could make your machine non-bootable.

                      Please don't be such a scare-monger!

                      If you had read my message you wold see that I was trying to
                      introduce system maintenance in a simple, unintimidating way.

                      I did NOT say "delete files at random" - in fact I specifically
                      stated "you can't do any harm with WhatSize as long as you stay away
                      from the "delete" button!". Instead I asked Debbi what files &
                      directories are consuming space on her system - if she posts back
                      here the names of folders larger than 1GB we can safely tell her what
                      they are, what they do and whether they can safely be deleted.

                      Your Mac DOES NOT require the Garageband samples in order to boot!!

                      If Debbi does not determine what is taking up space on her drive her
                      Aperture library, as the warning suggested, may become corrupt.
                      If she can't free up some space herself then I guess she'll have to
                      take her Mac to a local specialist - they may charge her for their
                      time in performing the same tasks I have suggested, or simply fit a
                      new hard-drive and charge her for that _and_ its installation.
                      If Debbie can find out what is taking up the space and we can explain
                      to her what those files & folders are and what they do and she will
                      at least understand better about hard-drive space and why these
                      expensive options might be necessary.

                      Stroller.
                    • Debbi
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 2, 2006
                        I'm still busy unloading iphoto. I have another question. I
                        periodically use Adobe Camera Raw and again I have been bringing in
                        the folders from iphoto are those also being duplicated? If so I'm
                        tripling by images as I have been trying to compare Camera RAW
                        processing with Aperture, to see for myself how Aperture is
                        performing. As you well know, each image worked on can go up to a
                        whole gig just by itself!! I have many like that.
                        You are all correct in that I only have a basic understanding of
                        computers, AND I do appreciate all the help here!
                        Debbi