Re: [aperture] Re: Graphics card frustration and 1.1.1 - new member

  • Yann Nicolas
    Message 1 of 22 , May 8, 2006
      OK, so the ATI X800 XT seems to be the best option for anyone with an AGP dual-G5 and it does seem to be quite an increase over the 9800 Pro:

      http://tinyurl.com/gm4d3

      and

      http://tinyurl.com/zc6uo

      ...but it's about $350-$400.  Wait for the next Power Macs (or MacTower Pro) or get one of these?

      Hmm...

      /y

      On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
      AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
      I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
      me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
      Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))

      [...]

    • Thomas Tukker
      Message 2 of 22 , May 9, 2006
        I shoot to make money, so I dont have the luxury to wait. If I can
        increase my efficiency by investing in Aperture and a new video card,
        than thats justified for me.
        It turned out to be a good decision, I use Aperture daily and it helps
        me more than any other program can with my daily tasks.

        I will buy a new tower when it comes out and I think this video card
        will make my system more attractive on the used market.

        I bought the card for 500euros when I lived in Milano btw....so you
        can feel very happy with $350...!

        Best,

        Thomas

        > ...but it's about $350-$400. Wait for the next Power Macs (or
        MacTower Pro)
        > or get one of these?
        >
        > Hmm...
        >
        > /y
        >
        > On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
        > > I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
        > > me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
        > > Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))
        > >

        > [...]
      • Debbi
        Message 3 of 22 , May 10, 2006
          Do any of you use it in Aperture and it so, how do you think it
          compares to Photoshop or another plug-in? I usually use Greg Gorman's
          method in Photoshop, but I have never actually printed anything with
          it.
          Debbi
          --
          Debbi in California
          http://www.pbase.com/debbi

          Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
        • Debbi
          Message 4 of 22 , May 13, 2006
            You all are pretty quiet......

            Have any of you tried the Kodak print services via Aperture? I
            usually use WHCC and just wondered if Kodak was any good
            Debbi
            --
            Debbi in California
            http://www.pbase.com/debbi

            Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
          • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 22 , May 13, 2006
              I have and I think it sucks compared to WHCC. The ONLY plus is how
              easy it is to use.

              Alex

              On May 13, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Debbi wrote:

              > You all are pretty quiet......
              >
              > Have any of you tried the Kodak print services via Aperture? I
              > usually use WHCC and just wondered if Kodak was any good
              > Debbi
              > --
              > Debbi in California
              > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
              >
              > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
              > loved!

              > ~-->
              > Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy
              > technology. It's free.
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/e4wwlB/TM

            • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                On my machine the results look good however I will know how the
                printed images look later this week, I just sent a batch of images to
                white house for printing.

                Alex

                On May 10, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Debbi wrote:

                > Do any of you use it in Aperture and it so, how do you think it
                > compares to Photoshop or another plug-in? I usually use Greg Gorman's
                > method in Photoshop, but I have never actually printed anything with
                > it.
                > Debbi
                > --
                > Debbi in California
                > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                >
                > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                > loved!
              • Debbi
                Message 7 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                  Thank Alex, on both answers!
                  Debbi

                  --
                  Debbi in California
                  http://www.pbase.com/debbi

                  Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
                • Ronald Leppke
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                    I just now received my coupon request response:

                    Thank you for participating in the Aperture Customer Program promotion.  Attached is your e-coupon code, valid at the online Apple Store  www.apple.com/smallbusiness/store.

                    Ron

                    Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                    RDL Associates

                    17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook

                    1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

                    Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127  (Tiger)

                    Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)

                    lepprd@...

                  • Debbi

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                        Mine just came too!

                        I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                        at our local Apple store. Guess I have until September 30, 2006 when
                        the coupon expires to summon up the courage. I wish the Adobe apps
                        were already Universal.

                        David
                        --
                        David W. Taylor, Detayls
                        www.detayls.com

                        On May 15, 2006, at 3:44 PM, Debbi wrote:

                        > Thanks for sharing it Ron. What do you have your eye on?
                        > Debbi
                        >

                        >> I just now received my coupon request response:
                        >>

                        >>> Thank you for participating in the Aperture Customer Program
                        >>> promotion. Attached is your e-coupon code, valid at the online
                        >>> Apple Store www.apple.com/smallbusiness/store.
                        >>
                        >> Ron
                        >>

                        >> Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
                        >> RDL Associates
                        >> 17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
                        >> 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
                        >> Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127 (Tiger)
                        >> Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)
                        >>
                        >> lepprd@...
                        >
                        > --
                        > Debbi in California
                        > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                        >
                        > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                        > loved!

                        > Visit your group "aperture" on the web.

                      • Ronald Leppke
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                          I was also at the Apple store looking at the 17 MBP. I am expecting to combine the coupon with the "friends" (empolyee) discount on the 17 MBP. I specifically tested the two finger tap to get the contextual menu, i.e., a right click and it worked fine. The Apple store employee was not aware of this feature.

                          On May 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, David Taylor wrote:

                          I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                          at our local Apple store.

                          ...and, of course my 17 1.67 (below) is for sale

                          Ron

                          Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                          RDL Associates

                          17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook

                          1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

                          Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127  (Tiger)

                          Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)

                          lepprd@...

                        • jimmy_yu
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                            Ron,

                            Does it say if it's possible to use the coupon in a store other than
                            the regular apple.com store? I know with the ipod settlement coupon
                            codes, you could only use it at the regular apple store (ie, no edu or
                            govt stores).

                            Jimmy

                            --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Leppke <lepprd@...> wrote:

                            > I was also at the Apple store looking at the 17 MBP. I am expecting
                            > to combine the coupon with the "friends" (empolyee) discount on the
                            > 17 MBP. I specifically tested the two finger tap to get the
                            > contextual menu, i.e., a right click and it worked fine. The Apple
                            > store employee was not aware of this feature.
                            >

                            > On May 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, David Taylor wrote:
                            >
                            > > I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                            > > at our local Apple store.
                            >
                            > ...and, of course my 17 1.67 (below) is for sale
                            >
                            > Ron
                            >

                            > Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
                            > RDL Associates
                            > 17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
                            > 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
                            > Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127 (Tiger)
                            > Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)
                            >
                            > lepprd@...

                          • robert a. staehle
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                              "E-coupons are not redeemable on Apple Online Stores that serve
                              institutions."

                              The above is from the coupon I received today.