Re: Graphics card frustration and 1.1.1 - new member

  • Thomas Tukker
    Message 1 of 22 , May 8, 2006
      AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
      I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
      me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
      Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))

      Best,

      Thomas

      --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Yann Nicolas" <yannster@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > > the upshot of this is that after a dozen or two imports I am unable
      > > > to accurately locate images in the library based on the "shoot" in
      > > > which they're located in Lightroom, even though it would appear at
      > > > first glance that I should be able to do so. So at the end of
      the day
      > > > I tend to prefer Aperture's closed library which doesn't try to fool
      > > > me into thinking I should be able to determine where it's keeping
      > > > things.
      > > >
      > > > Other things I prefer about Aperture are its ability to handle dual-
      > > > screens so well and its stacks feature. Stacks just seems to be an
      > > > entirely logical way of working.
      > > >
      > > > Undoubtedly Lightroom will improve with later releases, and I'm
      > > > blaming neither Apple nor Adobe for my annoyances - they're both
      > > > trying to produce innovative software in an untested market segment
      > > > and it's obvious that both products are improving rapidly. It's just
      > > > frustrating being a user who wants a tool he can use _now_. If I
      > > > wasn't new to digital photography in January then I'd probably
      have a
      > > > workflow already established, probably involving Finder or Bridge &
      > > > Photoshop; if had a workflow like that established for some time
      then
      > > > - considering my current hardware - there would be no reason for me
      > > > to change it.
      > > >
      > > > Right now, I'm dying for the release of the Intel PowrMacs - I don't
      > > > want to spend money on a graphics card for this machine when I hope
      > > > the Intel PowerMac release will be so soon. I play games
      > > > occasionally, would do so more if I were able to boot into XP, and
      > > > also work with XP for my job quite a lot, so the upgrade might
      make a
      > > > lot of sense. This depends on price, of course, and there's a bit of
      > > > me that says "wait until the second generation Intel PowerMacs as
      > > > they'll be cheaper", but I really don't want to spend a lot of money
      > > > on a graphics card for a machine I really want to replace within
      a year.

      > > > For those of you concerned about the StrangeDogs cards then I advise
      > > > you not to be. I have my beefs with those guys but they seem to be
      > > > responsible enough to ensure that the drivers for the cards they
      sell
      > > > on eBay are mature enough for consumer use. At the end of the day,
      > > > fitting an incompatible graphics card is not going to toast your
      > > > computer and the worst case scenario is that that the card is buggy
      > > > or doesn't work with OS X quite as you anticipated. In this case you
      > > > could easily fit the card in a PeeCee, flash it back to the original
      > > > firmware and you have a card you can resell to a PeeCee user for 75%
      > > > of what you paid for it. Yes, this 25% is a "risk" but betting
      25% of
      > > > a couple of hundred dollars against the retail price of a
      top-of-the-
      > > > range Apple-certified cost is worthwhile, IMO.

      software<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Image+processing+software&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=ae8cLmwwxiP1GfjG845zng>
      Image

      Digital
      > > image
      processing<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Digital+image+processing&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=33TZxc9cpXLfDYRoTa61Vg>
      Image
      > > processing
      system<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Image+processing+system&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=KM4yUaDC3OyxYv3A5YfVzQ>
      Mentor

      Embossed

      > > ------------------------------
      > >

      > --
      > /yann

    • Yann Nicolas
      Message 2 of 22 , May 8, 2006
        OK, so the ATI X800 XT seems to be the best option for anyone with an AGP dual-G5 and it does seem to be quite an increase over the 9800 Pro:

        http://tinyurl.com/gm4d3

        and

        http://tinyurl.com/zc6uo

        ...but it's about $350-$400.  Wait for the next Power Macs (or MacTower Pro) or get one of these?

        Hmm...

        /y

        On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
        AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
        I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
        me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
        Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))

        [...]

      • Thomas Tukker
        Message 3 of 22 , May 9, 2006
          I shoot to make money, so I dont have the luxury to wait. If I can
          increase my efficiency by investing in Aperture and a new video card,
          than thats justified for me.
          It turned out to be a good decision, I use Aperture daily and it helps
          me more than any other program can with my daily tasks.

          I will buy a new tower when it comes out and I think this video card
          will make my system more attractive on the used market.

          I bought the card for 500euros when I lived in Milano btw....so you
          can feel very happy with $350...!

          Best,

          Thomas

          > ...but it's about $350-$400. Wait for the next Power Macs (or
          MacTower Pro)
          > or get one of these?
          >
          > Hmm...
          >
          > /y
          >
          > On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
          > > I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
          > > me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
          > > Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))
          > >

          > [...]
        • Debbi
          Message 4 of 22 , May 10, 2006
            Do any of you use it in Aperture and it so, how do you think it
            compares to Photoshop or another plug-in? I usually use Greg Gorman's
            method in Photoshop, but I have never actually printed anything with
            it.
            Debbi
            --
            Debbi in California
            http://www.pbase.com/debbi

            Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
          • Debbi
            Message 5 of 22 , May 13, 2006
              You all are pretty quiet......

              Have any of you tried the Kodak print services via Aperture? I
              usually use WHCC and just wondered if Kodak was any good
              Debbi
              --
              Debbi in California
              http://www.pbase.com/debbi

              Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
            • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                I have and I think it sucks compared to WHCC. The ONLY plus is how
                easy it is to use.

                Alex

                On May 13, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Debbi wrote:

                > You all are pretty quiet......
                >
                > Have any of you tried the Kodak print services via Aperture? I
                > usually use WHCC and just wondered if Kodak was any good
                > Debbi
                > --
                > Debbi in California
                > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                >
                > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                > loved!

                > ~-->
                > Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy
                > technology. It's free.
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/e4wwlB/TM

              • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
                Message 7 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                  On my machine the results look good however I will know how the
                  printed images look later this week, I just sent a batch of images to
                  white house for printing.

                  Alex

                  On May 10, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Debbi wrote:

                  > Do any of you use it in Aperture and it so, how do you think it
                  > compares to Photoshop or another plug-in? I usually use Greg Gorman's
                  > method in Photoshop, but I have never actually printed anything with
                  > it.
                  > Debbi
                  > --
                  > Debbi in California
                  > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                  >
                  > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                  > loved!
                • Debbi
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                    Thank Alex, on both answers!
                    Debbi

                    --
                    Debbi in California
                    http://www.pbase.com/debbi

                    Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
                  • Ronald Leppke
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                      I just now received my coupon request response:

                      Thank you for participating in the Aperture Customer Program promotion.  Attached is your e-coupon code, valid at the online Apple Store  www.apple.com/smallbusiness/store.

                      Ron

                      Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                      RDL Associates

                      17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook

                      1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

                      Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127  (Tiger)

                      Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)

                      lepprd@...

                    • Debbi

                        Message 11 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                          Mine just came too!

                          I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                          at our local Apple store. Guess I have until September 30, 2006 when
                          the coupon expires to summon up the courage. I wish the Adobe apps
                          were already Universal.

                          David
                          --
                          David W. Taylor, Detayls
                          www.detayls.com

                          On May 15, 2006, at 3:44 PM, Debbi wrote:

                          > Thanks for sharing it Ron. What do you have your eye on?
                          > Debbi
                          >

                          >> I just now received my coupon request response:
                          >>

                          >>> Thank you for participating in the Aperture Customer Program
                          >>> promotion. Attached is your e-coupon code, valid at the online
                          >>> Apple Store www.apple.com/smallbusiness/store.
                          >>
                          >> Ron
                          >>

                          >> Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
                          >> RDL Associates
                          >> 17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
                          >> 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
                          >> Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127 (Tiger)
                          >> Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)
                          >>
                          >> lepprd@...
                          >
                          > --
                          > Debbi in California
                          > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                          >
                          > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                          > loved!

                          > Visit your group "aperture" on the web.

                        • Ronald Leppke
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                            I was also at the Apple store looking at the 17 MBP. I am expecting to combine the coupon with the "friends" (empolyee) discount on the 17 MBP. I specifically tested the two finger tap to get the contextual menu, i.e., a right click and it worked fine. The Apple store employee was not aware of this feature.

                            On May 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, David Taylor wrote:

                            I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                            at our local Apple store.

                            ...and, of course my 17 1.67 (below) is for sale

                            Ron

                            Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                            RDL Associates

                            17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook

                            1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

                            Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127  (Tiger)

                            Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)

                            lepprd@...

                          • jimmy_yu
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                              Ron,

                              Does it say if it's possible to use the coupon in a store other than
                              the regular apple.com store? I know with the ipod settlement coupon
                              codes, you could only use it at the regular apple store (ie, no edu or
                              govt stores).

                              Jimmy

                              --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Leppke <lepprd@...> wrote:

                              > I was also at the Apple store looking at the 17 MBP. I am expecting
                              > to combine the coupon with the "friends" (empolyee) discount on the
                              > 17 MBP. I specifically tested the two finger tap to get the
                              > contextual menu, i.e., a right click and it worked fine. The Apple
                              > store employee was not aware of this feature.
                              >

                              > On May 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, David Taylor wrote:
                              >
                              > > I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                              > > at our local Apple store.
                              >
                              > ...and, of course my 17 1.67 (below) is for sale
                              >
                              > Ron
                              >

                              > Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
                              > RDL Associates
                              > 17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
                              > 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
                              > Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127 (Tiger)
                              > Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)
                              >
                              > lepprd@...

                            • robert a. staehle
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                "E-coupons are not redeemable on Apple Online Stores that serve
                                institutions."

                                The above is from the coupon I received today.