Re: [aperture] Re: Graphics card frustration and 1.1.1 - new member

  • Stroller
    Message 1 of 22 , May 8, 2006

      I am aware of this. As I wrote:

      >> I notice that when I'm waiting for Aperture to perform these tasks
      >> the CPU & memory usage in Activity Monitor is quite reasonable -
      >> Safari often is more demanding when it has a few windows open! - so
      >> the problem is surely with the graphics card.

      But the question is clearly of how much I want to spend on a graphics
      card _right now_. I really want an Intel PowerMac, and don't think
      I'll be able to wait long once they're released. I don't see much
      point in spending much money on a graphics card which I'll have to
      dispose of in only a few months, but I guess if I can find a cheap
      enough upgrade (once I've got my lazy arse through this month's slow
      cash-flow) then I'll go for it.

      Stroller.
    • Thomas Tukker
      Message 2 of 22 , May 8, 2006
        Sorry but your video card is a huge difference with mine, which might
        be the difference.
        I go through shoots like nothing else when using Aperture and of
        course I have Lightroom too but it just doesnt compare at all.
        I use Aperture 90% of the time, rest is done in Photoshop if I need to
        do retouching.
        The power of Aperture for me is the standard RAW conversion, it is
        just drop dead gorgeous compared to any other RAW convertrer.

        Best,

        Thomas
        http://www.thomastukker.com

        --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, Stroller <strolls_uk@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > rename the shoot in Lightroom, the folder name in the Library remains
        > unchanged however, and if I transfer the images to another shoot then
        > I find that the empty directory remains in the Lightroom library. So
        > the upshot of this is that after a dozen or two imports I am unable
        > to accurately locate images in the library based on the "shoot" in
        > which they're located in Lightroom, even though it would appear at
        > first glance that I should be able to do so. So at the end of the day
        > I tend to prefer Aperture's closed library which doesn't try to fool
        > me into thinking I should be able to determine where it's keeping
        > things.
        >
        > Other things I prefer about Aperture are its ability to handle dual-
        > screens so well and its stacks feature. Stacks just seems to be an
        > entirely logical way of working.
        >
        > Undoubtedly Lightroom will improve with later releases, and I'm
        > blaming neither Apple nor Adobe for my annoyances - they're both
        > trying to produce innovative software in an untested market segment
        > and it's obvious that both products are improving rapidly. It's just
        > frustrating being a user who wants a tool he can use _now_. If I
        > wasn't new to digital photography in January then I'd probably have a
        > workflow already established, probably involving Finder or Bridge &
        > Photoshop; if had a workflow like that established for some time then
        > - considering my current hardware - there would be no reason for me
        > to change it.
        >
        > Right now, I'm dying for the release of the Intel PowrMacs - I don't
        > want to spend money on a graphics card for this machine when I hope
        > the Intel PowerMac release will be so soon. I play games
        > occasionally, would do so more if I were able to boot into XP, and
        > also work with XP for my job quite a lot, so the upgrade might make a
        > lot of sense. This depends on price, of course, and there's a bit of
        > me that says "wait until the second generation Intel PowerMacs as
        > they'll be cheaper", but I really don't want to spend a lot of money
        > on a graphics card for a machine I really want to replace within a year.
        >
        > For those of you concerned about the StrangeDogs cards then I advise
        > you not to be. I have my beefs with those guys but they seem to be
        > responsible enough to ensure that the drivers for the cards they sell
        > on eBay are mature enough for consumer use. At the end of the day,
        > fitting an incompatible graphics card is not going to toast your
        > computer and the worst case scenario is that that the card is buggy
        > or doesn't work with OS X quite as you anticipated. In this case you
        > could easily fit the card in a PeeCee, flash it back to the original
        > firmware and you have a card you can resell to a PeeCee user for 75%
        > of what you paid for it. Yes, this 25% is a "risk" but betting 25% of
        > a couple of hundred dollars against the retail price of a top-of-the-
        > range Apple-certified cost is worthwhile, IMO.

      • Yann Nicolas
        Message 3 of 22 , May 8, 2006
          Thomas, which interface is the X800XT using?  AGP or PCI-X?  If AGP, where did you find it?

          I have a dual-2G as well with an ATI 9800 Pro 128MB (AGP) and the performance is so-so.  It's much more usable on my MBP.

          On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
> [...]

          > on a graphics card for a machine I really want to replace within a year.
          >
          > For those of you concerned about the StrangeDogs cards then I advise
          > you not to be. I have my beefs with those guys but they seem to be
          > responsible enough to ensure that the drivers for the cards they sell
          > on eBay are mature enough for consumer use. At the end of the day,
          > fitting an incompatible graphics card is not going to toast your
          > computer and the worst case scenario is that that the card is buggy
          > or doesn't work with OS X quite as you anticipated. In this case you
          > could easily fit the card in a PeeCee, flash it back to the original
          > firmware and you have a card you can resell to a PeeCee user for 75%
          > of what you paid for it. Yes, this 25% is a "risk" but betting 25% of
          > a couple of hundred dollars against the retail price of a top-of-the-
          > range Apple-certified cost is worthwhile, IMO.

          Image processing software Image processing Digital image processing
          Image processing system Mentor graphics Embossed graphics

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          --
          /yann
        • Thomas Tukker
          Message 4 of 22 , May 8, 2006
            AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
            I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
            me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
            Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))

            Best,

            Thomas

            --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Yann Nicolas" <yannster@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > you not to be. I have my beefs with those guys but they seem to be
            > > > responsible enough to ensure that the drivers for the cards they
            sell
            > > > on eBay are mature enough for consumer use. At the end of the day,
            > > > fitting an incompatible graphics card is not going to toast your
            > > > computer and the worst case scenario is that that the card is buggy
            > > > or doesn't work with OS X quite as you anticipated. In this case you
            > > > could easily fit the card in a PeeCee, flash it back to the original
            > > > firmware and you have a card you can resell to a PeeCee user for 75%
            > > > of what you paid for it. Yes, this 25% is a "risk" but betting
            25% of
            > > > a couple of hundred dollars against the retail price of a
            top-of-the-
            > > > range Apple-certified cost is worthwhile, IMO.

            software<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Image+processing+software&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=ae8cLmwwxiP1GfjG845zng>
            Image

            Digital
            > > image
            processing<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Digital+image+processing&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=33TZxc9cpXLfDYRoTa61Vg>
            Image
            > > processing
            system<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Image+processing+system&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=KM4yUaDC3OyxYv3A5YfVzQ>
            Mentor

            Embossed

            > > ------------------------------
            > >

            > --
            > /yann

          • Yann Nicolas
            Message 5 of 22 , May 8, 2006
              OK, so the ATI X800 XT seems to be the best option for anyone with an AGP dual-G5 and it does seem to be quite an increase over the 9800 Pro:

              http://tinyurl.com/gm4d3

              and

              http://tinyurl.com/zc6uo

              ...but it's about $350-$400.  Wait for the next Power Macs (or MacTower Pro) or get one of these?

              Hmm...

              /y

              On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
              AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
              I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
              me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
              Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))

              [...]

            • Thomas Tukker
              Message 6 of 22 , May 9, 2006
                I shoot to make money, so I dont have the luxury to wait. If I can
                increase my efficiency by investing in Aperture and a new video card,
                than thats justified for me.
                It turned out to be a good decision, I use Aperture daily and it helps
                me more than any other program can with my daily tasks.

                I will buy a new tower when it comes out and I think this video card
                will make my system more attractive on the used market.

                I bought the card for 500euros when I lived in Milano btw....so you
                can feel very happy with $350...!

                Best,

                Thomas

                > ...but it's about $350-$400. Wait for the next Power Macs (or
                MacTower Pro)
                > or get one of these?
                >
                > Hmm...
                >
                > /y
                >
                > On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
                > > I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
                > > me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
                > > Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))
                > >

                > [...]
              • Debbi
                Message 7 of 22 , May 10, 2006
                  Do any of you use it in Aperture and it so, how do you think it
                  compares to Photoshop or another plug-in? I usually use Greg Gorman's
                  method in Photoshop, but I have never actually printed anything with
                  it.
                  Debbi
                  --
                  Debbi in California
                  http://www.pbase.com/debbi

                  Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
                • Debbi
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                    You all are pretty quiet......

                    Have any of you tried the Kodak print services via Aperture? I
                    usually use WHCC and just wondered if Kodak was any good
                    Debbi
                    --
                    Debbi in California
                    http://www.pbase.com/debbi

                    Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
                  • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                      I have and I think it sucks compared to WHCC. The ONLY plus is how
                      easy it is to use.

                      Alex

                      On May 13, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Debbi wrote:

                      > You all are pretty quiet......
                      >
                      > Have any of you tried the Kodak print services via Aperture? I
                      > usually use WHCC and just wondered if Kodak was any good
                      > Debbi
                      > --
                      > Debbi in California
                      > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                      >
                      > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                      > loved!

                      > ~-->
                      > Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy
                      > technology. It's free.
                      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/e4wwlB/TM

                    • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                        On my machine the results look good however I will know how the
                        printed images look later this week, I just sent a batch of images to
                        white house for printing.

                        Alex

                        On May 10, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Debbi wrote:

                        > Do any of you use it in Aperture and it so, how do you think it
                        > compares to Photoshop or another plug-in? I usually use Greg Gorman's
                        > method in Photoshop, but I have never actually printed anything with
                        > it.
                        > Debbi
                        > --
                        > Debbi in California
                        > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                        >
                        > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                        > loved!
                      • Debbi
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                          Thank Alex, on both answers!
                          Debbi

                          --
                          Debbi in California
                          http://www.pbase.com/debbi

                          Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
                        • Ronald Leppke
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                            I just now received my coupon request response:

                            Thank you for participating in the Aperture Customer Program promotion.  Attached is your e-coupon code, valid at the online Apple Store  www.apple.com/smallbusiness/store.

                            Ron

                            Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                            RDL Associates

                            17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook

                            1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

                            Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127  (Tiger)

                            Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)

                            lepprd@...

                          • Debbi

                              Message 14 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                Mine just came too!

                                I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                                at our local Apple store. Guess I have until September 30, 2006 when
                                the coupon expires to summon up the courage. I wish the Adobe apps
                                were already Universal.

                                David
                                --
                                David W. Taylor, Detayls
                                www.detayls.com

                                On May 15, 2006, at 3:44 PM, Debbi wrote:

                                > Thanks for sharing it Ron. What do you have your eye on?
                                > Debbi
                                >

                                >> I just now received my coupon request response:
                                >>

                                >>> Thank you for participating in the Aperture Customer Program
                                >>> promotion. Attached is your e-coupon code, valid at the online
                                >>> Apple Store www.apple.com/smallbusiness/store.
                                >>
                                >> Ron
                                >>

                                >> Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
                                >> RDL Associates
                                >> 17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
                                >> 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
                                >> Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127 (Tiger)
                                >> Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)
                                >>
                                >> lepprd@...
                                >
                                > --
                                > Debbi in California
                                > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                                >
                                > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                                > loved!

                                > Visit your group "aperture" on the web.

                              • Ronald Leppke
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                  I was also at the Apple store looking at the 17 MBP. I am expecting to combine the coupon with the "friends" (empolyee) discount on the 17 MBP. I specifically tested the two finger tap to get the contextual menu, i.e., a right click and it worked fine. The Apple store employee was not aware of this feature.

                                  On May 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, David Taylor wrote:

                                  I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                                  at our local Apple store.

                                  ...and, of course my 17 1.67 (below) is for sale

                                  Ron

                                  Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                                  RDL Associates

                                  17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook

                                  1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

                                  Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127  (Tiger)

                                  Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)

                                  lepprd@...

                                • jimmy_yu
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                    Ron,

                                    Does it say if it's possible to use the coupon in a store other than
                                    the regular apple.com store? I know with the ipod settlement coupon
                                    codes, you could only use it at the regular apple store (ie, no edu or
                                    govt stores).

                                    Jimmy

                                    --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Leppke <lepprd@...> wrote:

                                    > I was also at the Apple store looking at the 17 MBP. I am expecting
                                    > to combine the coupon with the "friends" (empolyee) discount on the
                                    > 17 MBP. I specifically tested the two finger tap to get the
                                    > contextual menu, i.e., a right click and it worked fine. The Apple
                                    > store employee was not aware of this feature.
                                    >

                                    > On May 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, David Taylor wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                                    > > at our local Apple store.
                                    >
                                    > ...and, of course my 17 1.67 (below) is for sale
                                    >
                                    > Ron
                                    >

                                    > Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
                                    > RDL Associates
                                    > 17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
                                    > 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
                                    > Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127 (Tiger)
                                    > Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)
                                    >
                                    > lepprd@...

                                  • robert a. staehle
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                      "E-coupons are not redeemable on Apple Online Stores that serve
                                      institutions."

                                      The above is from the coupon I received today.