Re: Graphics card frustration and 1.1.1 - new member

  • Thomas Tukker
    Message 1 of 22 , May 8, 2006
      For me 1.1.1 works great, no problems at all. My system is an older G5
      dual 2.0 with a X800XT 256mb card and 3.5GB of RAM.

      Best,

      Thomas

      --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "mickstringer" <mickstringer@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone. I joined the group today so hello.
      >
      > I've no doubt the subject of this post has been dealt with a lot but I
      > thought I would add my voice to the chorus of frustration.
      >
      > I have had a dual core G5 for 5 months and the lack of PCI express
      > upgrade graphics cards is behond a joke. At the time I bought the G5
      > (bought in part to run Aperture) the 6600 card was on the recommended
      > specification list (now removed) so the 7800GT didn't seem necessary. I
      > did opt for the 256mb version of the 6600 for a bit more future
      > proofing than the 128mb version.
      >
      > I am aware of the strangedogs flashed 7800GT but I am in the UK and
      > don't see why I should take the risk given that it is up to Apple to
      > sort this issue out. Also I have heard that 1.1 wasn't really optimised
      > for the 7800GT anyway. Any better in 1.1.1?
      >
      > I would like to know what people's experience is with the 1.1.1
      > upgrade. If anything it seems slower adjusting than 1.1. I have a Canon
      > 5D and shoot exclusively raw.
      >
      > I have a dual 2.0 G5 with 3GB memory. Aperture main library is on
      > second internal hard drive.
      >
      > Thanks for looking.
      >
      > Mick

    • Stroller
      Message 2 of 22 , May 8, 2006
        On 8 May 2006, at 10:22, Thomas Tukker wrote:

        > For me 1.1.1 works great, no problems at all. My system is an older G5
        > dual 2.0 with a X800XT 256mb card and 3.5GB of RAM.

        I tried Aperture 1.1.1 for the first time last night, having switched
        from Aperture 1.0 when Lightroom Beta 1 came out.

        I have a dual 1.8 G5 with 3gig of RAM and the ATI Radeon 9600 XT
        video card, and the worst thing is straightening images. I have to
        click on the image, move the pointer and then wait seconds to see the
        image rotate. If I get impatient I eventually find the image see-
        sawing clockwise & anti-clockwise as it tries to follow my movements
        with several seconds' of lag. Honestly, at this, Aperture makes my G5
        feel like a 486! I have not felt like I had a computer this under-
        powered in nearly a decade.

        Other functions are not so snappy, but still usable - when I was
        trying the auto-levels buttons I thought initially they made no
        visible difference to the image. Then a few seconds later the image
        would update to reflect the changes. That's a lot more manageable
        than the rotation problem, tho', because the delay is _after_ the
        button click, rather than _while_ I'm holding the pointer.

        I notice that when I'm waiting for Aperture to perform these tasks
        the CPU & memory usage in Activity Monitor is quite reasonable -
        Safari often is more demanding when it has a few windows open! - so
        the problem is surely with the graphics card.

        I'd really like to try Aperture properly at full speed, because right
        now I'm not getting along with it at all - Aperture's controls seem
        far more complicated & less intuitive than those of Lightroom. I can
        open Lightroom, make my changes & in only a couple of minutes have an
        image that I'm happy with - right now this is usually impossible for
        me with Aperture. Hopefully at full speed I would get the opportunity
        to actually learn Aperture & appreciate it.

        The reason I moved back from Lightroom to Aperture is that Lightroom
        does some stuff in its library that I'm not happy about. In ~/
        Lightroom/Photos I have a number of directories, each named for one
        of my projects (or "shoots" as Lightroom calls them); I like this
        "open" approach to the library, but not enough to forgive its
        failings. I import from my 350D using the Canon utility, which dumps
        all the images in a folder named "2006_05_08"; when I then import
        into Lightroom the shoot name will default to "2006_05_08" and a
        folder will be created in Lightroom's library by this name. If I
        rename the shoot in Lightroom, the folder name in the Library remains
        unchanged however, and if I transfer the images to another shoot then
        I find that the empty directory remains in the Lightroom library. So
        the upshot of this is that after a dozen or two imports I am unable
        to accurately locate images in the library based on the "shoot" in
        which they're located in Lightroom, even though it would appear at
        first glance that I should be able to do so. So at the end of the day
        I tend to prefer Aperture's closed library which doesn't try to fool
        me into thinking I should be able to determine where it's keeping
        things.

        Other things I prefer about Aperture are its ability to handle dual-
        screens so well and its stacks feature. Stacks just seems to be an
        entirely logical way of working.

        Undoubtedly Lightroom will improve with later releases, and I'm
        blaming neither Apple nor Adobe for my annoyances - they're both
        trying to produce innovative software in an untested market segment
        and it's obvious that both products are improving rapidly. It's just
        frustrating being a user who wants a tool he can use _now_. If I
        wasn't new to digital photography in January then I'd probably have a
        workflow already established, probably involving Finder or Bridge &
        Photoshop; if had a workflow like that established for some time then
        - considering my current hardware - there would be no reason for me
        to change it.

        Right now, I'm dying for the release of the Intel PowrMacs - I don't
        want to spend money on a graphics card for this machine when I hope
        the Intel PowerMac release will be so soon. I play games
        occasionally, would do so more if I were able to boot into XP, and
        also work with XP for my job quite a lot, so the upgrade might make a
        lot of sense. This depends on price, of course, and there's a bit of
        me that says "wait until the second generation Intel PowerMacs as
        they'll be cheaper", but I really don't want to spend a lot of money
        on a graphics card for a machine I really want to replace within a year.

        For those of you concerned about the StrangeDogs cards then I advise
        you not to be. I have my beefs with those guys but they seem to be
        responsible enough to ensure that the drivers for the cards they sell
        on eBay are mature enough for consumer use. At the end of the day,
        fitting an incompatible graphics card is not going to toast your
        computer and the worst case scenario is that that the card is buggy
        or doesn't work with OS X quite as you anticipated. In this case you
        could easily fit the card in a PeeCee, flash it back to the original
        firmware and you have a card you can resell to a PeeCee user for 75%
        of what you paid for it. Yes, this 25% is a "risk" but betting 25% of
        a couple of hundred dollars against the retail price of a top-of-the-
        range Apple-certified cost is worthwhile, IMO.

        Stroller.
      • Douglas Urner
        Message 3 of 22 , May 8, 2006
          On 8 May 2006, at 04:48, Stroller wrote:

          > I have a dual 1.8 G5 with 3gig of RAM and the ATI Radeon 9600 XT
          > video card, and the worst thing is straightening images. I have to
          > click on the image, move the pointer and then wait seconds to see the
          > image rotate. If I get impatient I eventually find the image see-
          > sawing clockwise & anti-clockwise as it tries to follow my movements
          > with several seconds' of lag. Honestly, at this, Aperture makes my G5
          > feel like a 486! I have not felt like I had a computer this under-
          > powered in nearly a decade.

          This is a video card issue. If you had a more capable card the image
          transformations would execute there and I think you'd be much happier.

          Doug
        • Stroller
          Message 4 of 22 , May 8, 2006

            I am aware of this. As I wrote:

            >> I notice that when I'm waiting for Aperture to perform these tasks
            >> the CPU & memory usage in Activity Monitor is quite reasonable -
            >> Safari often is more demanding when it has a few windows open! - so
            >> the problem is surely with the graphics card.

            But the question is clearly of how much I want to spend on a graphics
            card _right now_. I really want an Intel PowerMac, and don't think
            I'll be able to wait long once they're released. I don't see much
            point in spending much money on a graphics card which I'll have to
            dispose of in only a few months, but I guess if I can find a cheap
            enough upgrade (once I've got my lazy arse through this month's slow
            cash-flow) then I'll go for it.

            Stroller.
          • Thomas Tukker
            Message 5 of 22 , May 8, 2006
              Sorry but your video card is a huge difference with mine, which might
              be the difference.
              I go through shoots like nothing else when using Aperture and of
              course I have Lightroom too but it just doesnt compare at all.
              I use Aperture 90% of the time, rest is done in Photoshop if I need to
              do retouching.
              The power of Aperture for me is the standard RAW conversion, it is
              just drop dead gorgeous compared to any other RAW convertrer.

              Best,

              Thomas
              http://www.thomastukker.com

              --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, Stroller <strolls_uk@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > on a graphics card for a machine I really want to replace within a year.
              >
              > For those of you concerned about the StrangeDogs cards then I advise
              > you not to be. I have my beefs with those guys but they seem to be
              > responsible enough to ensure that the drivers for the cards they sell
              > on eBay are mature enough for consumer use. At the end of the day,
              > fitting an incompatible graphics card is not going to toast your
              > computer and the worst case scenario is that that the card is buggy
              > or doesn't work with OS X quite as you anticipated. In this case you
              > could easily fit the card in a PeeCee, flash it back to the original
              > firmware and you have a card you can resell to a PeeCee user for 75%
              > of what you paid for it. Yes, this 25% is a "risk" but betting 25% of
              > a couple of hundred dollars against the retail price of a top-of-the-
              > range Apple-certified cost is worthwhile, IMO.

            • Yann Nicolas
              Message 6 of 22 , May 8, 2006
                Thomas, which interface is the X800XT using?  AGP or PCI-X?  If AGP, where did you find it?

                I have a dual-2G as well with an ATI 9800 Pro 128MB (AGP) and the performance is so-so.  It's much more usable on my MBP.

                On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
> [...]

                > on a graphics card for a machine I really want to replace within a year.
                >
                > For those of you concerned about the StrangeDogs cards then I advise
                > you not to be. I have my beefs with those guys but they seem to be
                > responsible enough to ensure that the drivers for the cards they sell
                > on eBay are mature enough for consumer use. At the end of the day,
                > fitting an incompatible graphics card is not going to toast your
                > computer and the worst case scenario is that that the card is buggy
                > or doesn't work with OS X quite as you anticipated. In this case you
                > could easily fit the card in a PeeCee, flash it back to the original
                > firmware and you have a card you can resell to a PeeCee user for 75%
                > of what you paid for it. Yes, this 25% is a "risk" but betting 25% of
                > a couple of hundred dollars against the retail price of a top-of-the-
                > range Apple-certified cost is worthwhile, IMO.

                Image processing software Image processing Digital image processing
                Image processing system Mentor graphics Embossed graphics

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                --
                /yann
              • Thomas Tukker
                Message 7 of 22 , May 8, 2006
                  AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
                  I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
                  me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
                  Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))

                  Best,

                  Thomas

                  --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Yann Nicolas" <yannster@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > you not to be. I have my beefs with those guys but they seem to be
                  > > > responsible enough to ensure that the drivers for the cards they
                  sell
                  > > > on eBay are mature enough for consumer use. At the end of the day,
                  > > > fitting an incompatible graphics card is not going to toast your
                  > > > computer and the worst case scenario is that that the card is buggy
                  > > > or doesn't work with OS X quite as you anticipated. In this case you
                  > > > could easily fit the card in a PeeCee, flash it back to the original
                  > > > firmware and you have a card you can resell to a PeeCee user for 75%
                  > > > of what you paid for it. Yes, this 25% is a "risk" but betting
                  25% of
                  > > > a couple of hundred dollars against the retail price of a
                  top-of-the-
                  > > > range Apple-certified cost is worthwhile, IMO.

                  software<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Image+processing+software&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=ae8cLmwwxiP1GfjG845zng>
                  Image

                  Digital
                  > > image
                  processing<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Digital+image+processing&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=33TZxc9cpXLfDYRoTa61Vg>
                  Image
                  > > processing
                  system<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Image+processing+system&w1=Image+processing+software&w2=Image+processing&w3=Digital+image+processing&w4=Image+processing+system&w5=Mentor+graphics&w6=Embossed+graphics&c=6&s=156&.sig=KM4yUaDC3OyxYv3A5YfVzQ>
                  Mentor

                  Embossed

                  > > ------------------------------
                  > >

                  > --
                  > /yann

                • Yann Nicolas
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 8, 2006
                    OK, so the ATI X800 XT seems to be the best option for anyone with an AGP dual-G5 and it does seem to be quite an increase over the 9800 Pro:

                    http://tinyurl.com/gm4d3

                    and

                    http://tinyurl.com/zc6uo

                    ...but it's about $350-$400.  Wait for the next Power Macs (or MacTower Pro) or get one of these?

                    Hmm...

                    /y

                    On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
                    AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
                    I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
                    me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
                    Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))

                    [...]

                  • Thomas Tukker
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 9, 2006
                      I shoot to make money, so I dont have the luxury to wait. If I can
                      increase my efficiency by investing in Aperture and a new video card,
                      than thats justified for me.
                      It turned out to be a good decision, I use Aperture daily and it helps
                      me more than any other program can with my daily tasks.

                      I will buy a new tower when it comes out and I think this video card
                      will make my system more attractive on the used market.

                      I bought the card for 500euros when I lived in Milano btw....so you
                      can feel very happy with $350...!

                      Best,

                      Thomas

                      > ...but it's about $350-$400. Wait for the next Power Macs (or
                      MacTower Pro)
                      > or get one of these?
                      >
                      > Hmm...
                      >
                      > /y
                      >
                      > On 5/8/06, Thomas Tukker <thomastukker@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > AGP, I have an older dual proc 2.0 G5.
                      > > I bought it on-line, its a little over priced in Europe but it allows
                      > > me to run Aperture without any problems and I have enjoyed playing
                      > > Call of Duty, cant wait for part 2 to come out.. :))
                      > >

                      > [...]
                    • Debbi
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 10, 2006
                        Do any of you use it in Aperture and it so, how do you think it
                        compares to Photoshop or another plug-in? I usually use Greg Gorman's
                        method in Photoshop, but I have never actually printed anything with
                        it.
                        Debbi
                        --
                        Debbi in California
                        http://www.pbase.com/debbi

                        Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
                      • Debbi
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                          You all are pretty quiet......

                          Have any of you tried the Kodak print services via Aperture? I
                          usually use WHCC and just wondered if Kodak was any good
                          Debbi
                          --
                          Debbi in California
                          http://www.pbase.com/debbi

                          Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
                        • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                            I have and I think it sucks compared to WHCC. The ONLY plus is how
                            easy it is to use.

                            Alex

                            On May 13, 2006, at 4:58 PM, Debbi wrote:

                            > You all are pretty quiet......
                            >
                            > Have any of you tried the Kodak print services via Aperture? I
                            > usually use WHCC and just wondered if Kodak was any good
                            > Debbi
                            > --
                            > Debbi in California
                            > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                            >
                            > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                            > loved!

                            > ~-->
                            > Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy
                            > technology. It's free.
                            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/e4wwlB/TM

                          • Alejandro (Alex) Rodriguez
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                              On my machine the results look good however I will know how the
                              printed images look later this week, I just sent a batch of images to
                              white house for printing.

                              Alex

                              On May 10, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Debbi wrote:

                              > Do any of you use it in Aperture and it so, how do you think it
                              > compares to Photoshop or another plug-in? I usually use Greg Gorman's
                              > method in Photoshop, but I have never actually printed anything with
                              > it.
                              > Debbi
                              > --
                              > Debbi in California
                              > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                              >
                              > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                              > loved!
                            • Debbi
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 13, 2006
                                Thank Alex, on both answers!
                                Debbi

                                --
                                Debbi in California
                                http://www.pbase.com/debbi

                                Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
                              • Ronald Leppke
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                  I just now received my coupon request response:

                                  Thank you for participating in the Aperture Customer Program promotion.  Attached is your e-coupon code, valid at the online Apple Store  www.apple.com/smallbusiness/store.

                                  Ron

                                  Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                                  RDL Associates

                                  17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook

                                  1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

                                  Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127  (Tiger)

                                  Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)

                                  lepprd@...

                                • Debbi

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                      Mine just came too!

                                      I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                                      at our local Apple store. Guess I have until September 30, 2006 when
                                      the coupon expires to summon up the courage. I wish the Adobe apps
                                      were already Universal.

                                      David
                                      --
                                      David W. Taylor, Detayls
                                      www.detayls.com

                                      On May 15, 2006, at 3:44 PM, Debbi wrote:

                                      > Thanks for sharing it Ron. What do you have your eye on?
                                      > Debbi
                                      >

                                      >> I just now received my coupon request response:
                                      >>

                                      >>> Thank you for participating in the Aperture Customer Program
                                      >>> promotion. Attached is your e-coupon code, valid at the online
                                      >>> Apple Store www.apple.com/smallbusiness/store.
                                      >>
                                      >> Ron
                                      >>

                                      >> Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
                                      >> RDL Associates
                                      >> 17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
                                      >> 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
                                      >> Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127 (Tiger)
                                      >> Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)
                                      >>
                                      >> lepprd@...
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Debbi in California
                                      > http://www.pbase.com/debbi
                                      >
                                      > Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they
                                      > loved!

                                      > Visit your group "aperture" on the web.

                                    • Ronald Leppke
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                        I was also at the Apple store looking at the 17 MBP. I am expecting to combine the coupon with the "friends" (empolyee) discount on the 17 MBP. I specifically tested the two finger tap to get the contextual menu, i.e., a right click and it worked fine. The Apple store employee was not aware of this feature.

                                        On May 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, David Taylor wrote:

                                        I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                                        at our local Apple store.

                                        ...and, of course my 17 1.67 (below) is for sale

                                        Ron

                                        Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                                        RDL Associates

                                        17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook

                                        1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

                                        Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127  (Tiger)

                                        Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)

                                        lepprd@...

                                      • jimmy_yu
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                          Ron,

                                          Does it say if it's possible to use the coupon in a store other than
                                          the regular apple.com store? I know with the ipod settlement coupon
                                          codes, you could only use it at the regular apple store (ie, no edu or
                                          govt stores).

                                          Jimmy

                                          --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Leppke <lepprd@...> wrote:

                                          > I was also at the Apple store looking at the 17 MBP. I am expecting
                                          > to combine the coupon with the "friends" (empolyee) discount on the
                                          > 17 MBP. I specifically tested the two finger tap to get the
                                          > contextual menu, i.e., a right click and it worked fine. The Apple
                                          > store employee was not aware of this feature.
                                          >

                                          > On May 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, David Taylor wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > I just went and left about a pint of drool all over a 17" MacBook Pro
                                          > > at our local Apple store.
                                          >
                                          > ...and, of course my 17 1.67 (below) is for sale
                                          >
                                          > Ron
                                          >

                                          > Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
                                          > RDL Associates
                                          > 17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
                                          > 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
                                          > Mac OS X 10.4.6, Build 8l127 (Tiger)
                                          > Safari Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3)
                                          >
                                          > lepprd@...

                                        • robert a. staehle
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 15, 2006
                                            "E-coupons are not redeemable on Apple Online Stores that serve
                                            institutions."

                                            The above is from the coupon I received today.