[aperture] Aperture 1.1 released

  • Debbi
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
      [aperture] Aperture 1.1 released
      Apple says it's released tonight....but I cannot find a place to get the upgrade.
      http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html
      Debbi
      --

      Debbi in California
      http://www.pbase.com/debbi

      Whoever said 'money can't buy happiness' never met a camera they loved!
    • robert a. staehle
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2006
        If you go back a page there's a big green button that says "Shipping
        Soon"

        Also, I'd bet the 1.1 version will be released via Software Update.
        That's the way most of the Pro apps (Shake, Final Cut, DVD Studio
        Pro) all get patched.

        On Apr 12, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Debbi wrote:

        > Apple says it's released tonight....but I cannot find a place to
        > get the upgrade.
        > http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html
        > Debbi

      • Alejandro Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
          Looks like it will be on the 13th.

          Aperture 1.1, a significant update to the revolutionary all-in-one
          post production tool for photographers, runs natively on both Intel-
          and PowerPC-based Macs. The update features dramatically improved RAW
          image rendering and a new set of advanced RAW adjustment controls.
          Likewise, it delivers impressive speed gains on any Mac. At a new
          lower price of $299, Aperture is within reach of anyone shooting with
          a digital SLR camera. [Apr 13, 2006]

          - Apple Hot News 4/13/06 8:30 AM

          Also looks like they are dropping the price by $200! I think it is
          good, but I am not happy about this.

          Alex

          On 4/13/06, robert a. staehle <bob@...> wrote:
          > If you go back a page there's a big green button that says "Shipping
          > Soon"
          >
          > Also, I'd bet the 1.1 version will be released via Software Update.
          > That's the way most of the Pro apps (Shake, Final Cut, DVD Studio
          > Pro) all get patched.
          >

          > On Apr 12, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Debbi wrote:
          >
          > > Apple says it's released tonight....but I cannot find a place to
          > > get the upgrade.
          > > http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html
          > > Debbi

        • Mitch Aunger
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
            please please please make "soon" be today :)

            I'm hoping they are supercharging the speed of this thing with this
            release - mine seems to be slowing down the more images i add.

            On Apr 12, 2006, at 11:34 PM, robert a. staehle wrote:

            > If you go back a page there's a big green button that says "Shipping
            > Soon"
            >
            > Also, I'd bet the 1.1 version will be released via Software Update.
            > That's the way most of the Pro apps (Shake, Final Cut, DVD Studio
            > Pro) all get patched.
            >

            > On Apr 12, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Debbi wrote:
            >
            >> Apple says it's released tonight....but I cannot find a place to
            >> get the upgrade.
            >> http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html
            >> Debbi
          • Mitch Aunger
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
              Thanks Alex

              today is the 13th :)

              The Apple site and the store are still showing $499 at this point.

              I agree - not happy about the price reduction personally but they've
              got real hot competition with the tool from Adobe (Lightroom) and
              they know they've got no choice but to get this thing hoppin or
              they're gonna lose big time to Adobe. I might have even switched to
              Lightroom if I hadn't already invested so much effort into putting
              ratings etc into my Aperture collection.

              Can't wait for the update here!

              BACKUP ADVICE:
              I wonder if there's gonna be a conversion needed to the existing
              applib files... I'm sure going to do a backup before doing the
              upgrade when it arrives (including the old application file) - I
              remember problems some people had with early versions of iPhoto where
              they upgraded and had troubles and couldn't go back to the prior
              release due to not having backups. I can't lose all of this work -
              and i doubt any of you can either so i highly advise doing a COMPLETE
              backup before doing this upgrade just to be safe!

              Mitch

              On Apr 13, 2006, at 6:23 AM, Alejandro Rodriguez wrote:

              > Looks like it will be on the 13th.
              >
              > Aperture 1.1, a significant update to the revolutionary all-in-one
              > post production tool for photographers, runs natively on both Intel-
              > and PowerPC-based Macs. The update features dramatically improved RAW
              > image rendering and a new set of advanced RAW adjustment controls.
              > Likewise, it delivers impressive speed gains on any Mac. At a new
              > lower price of $299, Aperture is within reach of anyone shooting with
              > a digital SLR camera. [Apr 13, 2006]
              >
              > - Apple Hot News 4/13/06 8:30 AM
              >
              > Also looks like they are dropping the price by $200! I think it is
              > good, but I am not happy about this.
              >
              > Alex
            • Alejandro Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                Well I am happy to see Apple is taking care of the early beta testers with a $200 Apple store credit!

                http://www.apple.com/promo/aperture/

                Guess I will go for that MacBook. :)

                Alex

                On 4/13/06, Alejandro Rodriguez <alex@...> wrote:
                Looks like it will be on the 13th.

                Aperture 1.1, a significant update to the revolutionary all-in-one
                post production tool for photographers, runs natively on both Intel-
                and PowerPC-based Macs. The update features dramatically improved RAW
                image rendering and a new set of advanced RAW adjustment controls.
                Likewise, it delivers impressive speed gains on any Mac. At a new
                lower price of $299, Aperture is within reach of anyone shooting with
                a digital SLR camera. [Apr 13, 2006]

                - Apple Hot News 4/13/06 8:30 AM

                Also looks like they are dropping the price by $200! I think it is
                good, but I am not happy about this.

                Alex

                On 4/13/06, robert a. staehle < bob@...> wrote:
                > If you go back a page there's a big green button that says "Shipping
                > Soon"
                >
                > Also, I'd bet the 1.1 version will be released via Software Update.
                > That's the way most of the Pro apps (Shake, Final Cut, DVD Studio
                > Pro) all get patched.
                >

                > On Apr 12, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Debbi wrote:
                >
                > > Apple says it's released tonight....but I cannot find a place to
                > > get the upgrade.
                > > http://www.apple.com/aperture/update.html
                > > Debbi

              • Ronald Leppke
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                  Hearty thanks to all of you who have been firm in your support of Apple and Aperture in spite of some mean-spirited negativism. I also appreciate information updates and links that have been very helpful for some us who are not as deeply involved.

                  I also reflect on my message of hope in the early days of the first release when, after hearing the Aperture product manager in person on the Apple campus, I said these better days were coming.

                  BTW, my e-coupon has been printed and is ready to send.

                  Ron

                  On Apr 13, 2006, at 6:02 AM, Alejandro Rodriguez wrote:

                  Well I am happy to see Apple is taking care of the early beta testers with a $200 Apple store credit!

                  Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                  RDL Associates

                  Aperture 1.1

                  lepprd@...

                • Mitch Aunger
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                    excellent news! now i can get iLife for free i hope :) or maybe I'll save it and use it on the 10.5 upgrade (if we can hold it that long)

                    I just checked in my software update and 1.1 is available - it wasn't an hour ago when i checked.

                    thought you'd like to know :)

                    Mitch

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                      It was not available when I first checked, but I got it about 30 minutes ago (6:30 AM Pacific time).

                      Ron

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                        Please report if you have problems, I wont be able to upgrade till tonight. Let me now if I should wait till 1.1.1.

                        Alex

                        On 4/13/06, Ronald Leppke <lepprd@...> wrote:
                        It was not available when I first checked, but I got it about 30 minutes ago (6:30 AM Pacific time).

                        Ron

                        On Apr 13, 2006, at 6:39 AM, Mitch Aunger wrote:

                        it wasn't an hour ago when i checked.

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      • ron 'coyote' lussier
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                          On Apr 13, 2006, at 4:23 AM, Alejandro Rodriguez wrote:

                          > Also looks like they are dropping the price by $200! I think it is
                          > good, but I am not happy about this.

                          Why not? Do you prefer that it be more expensive and exclusive?

                          coyote

                          ----------
                          "I never imagined I would live to see the day when the United States
                          and its satellites would use precisely the same arguments that the
                          apartheid government used for detention without trial. It is
                          disgraceful ... One cannot find strong enough words to condemn what
                          Britain and the United States and some of their allies have
                          accepted." -- Bishop Desmond Tutu, South Africa.
                        • Alejandro Rodriguez
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                            NO!

                            I just did not appreciate dropping $500 several months ago only to see it drop $200. However if you read my follow-up email I am glad Apple is taking care of us early beta testers (I mean early adopters) by giving out a $200 Apple store credit.

                            Alex

                            On 4/13/06, ron 'coyote' lussier <rlussier@...> wrote:

                            On Apr 13, 2006, at 4:23 AM, Alejandro Rodriguez wrote:

                            > Also looks like they are dropping the price by $200! I think it is
                            > good, but I am not happy about this.

                            Why not?  Do you prefer that it be more expensive and exclusive?

                            coyote

                            ----------
                            "I never imagined I would live to see the day when the United States
                            and its satellites would use precisely the same arguments that the
                            apartheid government used for detention without trial. It is
                            disgraceful ... One cannot find strong enough words to condemn what
                            Britain and the United States and some of their allies have
                            accepted." -- Bishop Desmond Tutu, South Africa.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Mitch Aunger
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                              Just now running 1.1 -

                              it DOES require updates to library - so

                              BACK UP YOUR PREVIOUS LIBRARY BEFORE UPGRADING

                              (my friendly reminder)

                              tho the update of the library didn't take long on my library of
                              12,000 images

                              will let you know later about other comments.

                              On Apr 13, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Alejandro Rodriguez wrote:

                              > Please report if you have problems, I wont be able to upgrade till
                              > tonight. Let me now if I should wait till 1.1.1.
                              >
                              > Alex

                            • Ronald Leppke
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 13, 2006
                                Running 1.1 with no problems seen so far. The update button starts the new Aperture so any backup should be done in advance. My update was quick and easy, but I have relatively few items in Aperture at this point.

                                Ron

                                On Apr 13, 2006, at 7:18 AM, Alejandro Rodriguez wrote:

                                Please report if you have problems, I wont be able to upgrade till tonight. Let me now if I should wait till 1.1.1.

                                Alex

                                Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.

                                RDL Associates

                                17 inch 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook