RAW and jpeg

  • drew_lynch
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2011
      Hi Folks,
      My aperture library is getting large, about 300GB, 50,000 images at this point. Aperture takes about a minute to come up in my iMac i7 quad core with 8Gb of memory.

      I have about 6000 RAW images which I do not want to throw away, but do not need the added quality or flexibility of RAW. I would like to convert these to Jpeg in place, keeping them where they are in the hierarchy, with the same keywords, etc. I will then archive the raw images elsewhere.

      Is there a way to do this? I would prefer not to export/reimport the images unless there is some way to make sure they go back where they came from.

      Also, I am thinking of splitting the library into more manageable chunks. Does anyone have a strategy for this they would like to share? I am aware of the mechanics of exporting to new libraries.

      Regards,
      Drew
    • Mike Youngberg
      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2011
        Drew,
        I would defrag the disk first before splitting the library. With
        large libraries and active use of Aperture this needs to be done
        frequently. For me (not daily use), once every 2 weeks to once a
        month seems to work OK. Some people use a drive-copy-switch technique
        to do this.

        I'm on an old Mac Pro (2 x Core 2 Duo @ 3Ghz, 12GB RAM). My 612GB
        library with ~50k pix (most RAW) is ready in ~5 seconds.

        I use Drive Genius to defrag; I'm sure there are other utilities out there.

        ---

        I split my libraries along the lines of (family, events, church,
        school, work, working, misc).

        -thanks, mike

        Mike Youngberg: youngberg101 AT sanbrunocable DOT com
        >>> Check out my church at http://www.hillsidecommunity.net
      • iconimage2002
        Message 3 of 7 , May 12, 2011
          Drew,

          Technically you already have your jpegs in the form of Preview Thumbnails. All you need to do is make your images "Referenced" files and the weight (300 GB) of the images goes onto an external drive. Don't forget to make a backup of this drive, as Aperture will no longer do this through the vault. I have over 100,000 images in my main library and it does take a while to digest them. If you let it do it's thing after starting it will move along faster. With Aperture 3 it has become a lot easier to create and organize your work in multiple libraries. Hopefully, this is what you were looking for. Let us know if you need more help.

          Paul

          --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "drew_lynch" <drew@...> wrote:

          > Hi Folks,
          > My aperture library is getting large, about 300GB, 50,000 images at this point. Aperture takes about a minute to come up in my iMac i7 quad core with 8Gb of memory.
          >
          > I have about 6000 RAW images which I do not want to throw away, but do not need the added quality or flexibility of RAW. I would like to convert these to Jpeg in place, keeping them where they are in the hierarchy, with the same keywords, etc. I will then archive the raw images elsewhere.
          >
          > Is there a way to do this? I would prefer not to export/reimport the images unless there is some way to make sure they go back where they came from.
          >
          > Also, I am thinking of splitting the library into more manageable chunks. Does anyone have a strategy for this they would like to share? I am aware of the mechanics of exporting to new libraries.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Drew

        • Doug Yelmen
          Message 4 of 7 , May 12, 2011
            i have been trying to do this.
            and i succeeded, but have forgotten how now.
            i'd appreciate it. thanks.
            and i am a member of lynda.com, and have books.
            i bought a sony cyber-shot with Zeiss lens, and i am trading my video equipment, and Bogen tripod, and head, and lights, and lenses, to get the Canon 5D Mark II, the camera of my
            dreams.
            so, i'd appreicate it. if too much trouble, that is cool too.

            doug
            Doug Yelmen

            "The idea of the sacred is quite simply one of the most conservative notions in any culture, because it seeks to turn other ideas - uncertainty, progress, change - into crimes."

            On May 12, 2011, at 3:35 PM, iconimage2002 wrote:

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               aperture-digest@yahoogroups.com
               aperture-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • drew_lynch
            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2011
              Hi Mike,
              This worked great. I bought a copy of iDefrag. I started by just defragmenting the main library files, and the load time dropped from more than 60 seconds to about 8. It crept back up to 15 or so in subsequent loads, but this is acceptable.

              I also moved the library off to an almost empty 2Gb FireWire 800 drive. This should slow the fragmentation as compared to having it on my boot/everything else drive.

              Thanks!

              -Drew

              Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2011
                Hi Paul,
                I did try this, and it almost did what I wanted. The problem is that if I want to use the image in any way (or even just look at it) the referenced master has to be available.

                Regards,
                Drew

                --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "iconimage2002" <iconstock@...> wrote:

                > Drew,
                >
                > Technically you already have your jpegs in the form of Preview Thumbnails. All you need to do is make your images "Referenced" files and the weight (300 GB) of the images goes onto an external drive. Don't forget to make a backup of this drive, as Aperture will no longer do this through the vault. I have over 100,000 images in my main library and it does take a while to digest them. If you let it do it's thing after starting it will move along faster. With Aperture 3 it has become a lot easier to create and organize your work in multiple libraries. Hopefully, this is what you were looking for. Let us know if you need more help.
                >
                > Paul

              • iconimage2002
                Message 7 of 7 , May 27, 2011
                  Drew,

                  You should still be able to see the previews of the referenced images even if they are "offline". You can do all your catalog operations like placing images into albums etc. with just the previews. You are right that when you want to use or apply adjustments you need to bring the referenced images back online. Try generating new previews and see if this helps you see the referenced images when they are offline. If you are like me you have a bunch of images, but only use a fraction of them for portfolios etc. You can make high res Jpegs just for those that you use frequently and keep them in the Aperture library for ready access, and make all the others Referenced.