Need help with "Tidy Up!" before starting Aperture - please?

  • catfootfog
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2011
      Hi, I'm brand new to Aperture...

      I messed up in transferring my iPhoto library. Everything is chaotic and I want to start over.

      I now have two photo libraries on my computer (iPhoto'11 and Aperture 3). They are mostly identical, BUT there are some photos unique in each, so I just can't dump the Aperture library entirely.

      I bought "Tidy UP!" (a duplicate-finding app) but I'm really having trouble understanding how it works, despite reading the manual. Does anyone use this program who might give me some quick tips? I thought I understood what I was to do, but after doing what I thought would delete a bunch of photos from Aperture 3, I found I had, apparently not deleted them! I'm not sure what *was* deleted at this point. It looks like a useful program (Tidy Up!) but I am sorely in need of more guidance.

      Alternatively, is there any way I can ID which photos were imported to Aperture3 directly? not through iPhoto transfer? If I could find those few dozen photos , I could save them and then dump the messed up Aperture 3 library and start anew.

      Thanks to any kind soul who may have time to read and respond.
    • shuddersp33d
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2011
        If you import an image from iPhoto, your image is automatically tagged with iPhoto Original or iPhoto Edited, etc. So, if you filter using "Text > does not include > iPhoto" you should see all the images that did not come from an iPhoto import.

        Hope that helps.

        --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "catfootfog" <bonniegaia@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I'm brand new to Aperture...
        >
        > I messed up in transferring my iPhoto library. Everything is chaotic and I want to start over.
        >
        > I now have two photo libraries on my computer (iPhoto'11 and Aperture 3). They are mostly identical, BUT there are some photos unique in each, so I just can't dump the Aperture library entirely.
        >
        > I bought "Tidy UP!" (a duplicate-finding app) but I'm really having trouble understanding how it works, despite reading the manual. Does anyone use this program who might give me some quick tips? I thought I understood what I was to do, but after doing what I thought would delete a bunch of photos from Aperture 3, I found I had, apparently not deleted them! I'm not sure what *was* deleted at this point. It looks like a useful program (Tidy Up!) but I am sorely in need of more guidance.
        >
        > Alternatively, is there any way I can ID which photos were imported to Aperture3 directly? not through iPhoto transfer? If I could find those few dozen photos , I could save them and then dump the messed up Aperture 3 library and start anew.
        >
        > Thanks to any kind soul who may have time to read and respond.

      • Bonnie
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2011
          Shuddersp33d - that is a *huge* help!
          Thank you so very much,