work flow question from newbie

  • Doug Yelmen
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19, 2011
      after i export version of image to do some further work in PS, do i put it back in Aperture. and, if so, how do i go about it?
      thanks.
      Doug Yelmen
      "Photography is savoring life at 1/100th of a second." Marc Riboud.

    • George Siede

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 20, 2011
          Doug,

          I found a number of tutorials online by searching for "round tripping in Aperture". Give it a try and let us know if you still need more help.

          Paul

          --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, Doug Yelmen <dougyelmen@...> wrote:

          > after i export version of image to do some further work in PS, do i put it back in Aperture. and, if so, how do i go about it?
          > thanks.
          > Doug Yelmen
          > dougyelmen@...
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverrat68/
          > "Photography is savoring life at 1/100th of a second." Marc Riboud.

        • dbm
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 20, 2011
            Doug everyone has a different approach. Round tripping is one way but I export the high rez files Im going to work out of aperture. I usually export four or five images to build one final one and therefore I rename the file. Once renamed I reimport it back to Aperture into the same project it came with a higher star rating. Workflows are different for everyone, thats why I love to hear others. this works for me.

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 20, 2011
              I am curious, is the reason that you export and then re-import rather than using the round-trip feature because you are creating an entirely new image (collage?) out of elements from the four or five images you export? Is there a benefit to not round-tripping or just a different approach to the same result? If you were just working on a single image in PhotoShop would you still do the export/import?

              Most of my work to date has been round-tripping to retouch and tweak individual images in PS after organizing and processing the RAW files in Aperture but I am starting to do some stuff with stitching multiple images into panoramas and also some HDR both of which involve combining material from several images so I wondered what the best workflow would be for this.

              So far my approach was to just selected multiple images in Aperture and then right click to edit with PS via round-trip to build the new image. Aperture created copies for editing and opened them all up in Photoshop in tabs where I built the new image with the auto stitch. I saved the new image compilation to the desktop and imported it back into the same project that held the original source files.

              I am just at the testing point so would appreciate any thoughts about workflow differences.

              George

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 20, 2011
                i think renaming the image will allow me in import back the file to the same location.
                i use lynda.com for these things. i had been using LR3, but it just made my head ache.
                i will try these things you all recommended, and let you know how it goes.
                thanks one and all.

                doug

                On Apr 20, 2011, at 7:55 AM, dbm wrote:

                Doug everyone has a different approach.  Round tripping is one way but I export the high rez files Im going to work out of aperture.  I usually export four or five images to build one final one and therefore I rename the file.  Once renamed I reimport it back to Aperture into the same project it came with a higher star rating.  Workflows are different for everyone, thats why I love to hear others.  this works for me.

                --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, Doug Yelmen <dougyelmen@...> wrote:

                after i export version of image to do some further work in PS, do i put it back in Aperture. and, if so, how do i go about it?
                thanks.
                Doug Yelmen
                dougyelmen@...
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverrat68/
                "Photography is savoring life at 1/100th of a second." Marc Riboud.

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   aperture-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   aperture-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Physics World
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 20, 2011
                  I also do like george,
                  Eapecially for the HDR thing this is exactly my workflow, very curious
                  to' know if there is a better one !!

                  Ciaooooo

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 21, 2011
                    Nice to see we have a lively discussion going on this group! It's great that Aperture has the capability to export in different ways to suit our individual needs. Hopefully, you are not overwhelmed Doug, but know that you have a powerful piece of software at your disposal, and can learn as much or little as you choose.

                    I have used Aperture by round tripping, and also exporting the files and then bringing them back into the library through the Import feature in Aperture. Each had it's benefits for the particular workflow I was doing at the time. I would suggest trying both to see what best fits your needs, and when one might be better than another for a particular task.

                    Apple set up the "round tripping" to make it easy to export an image into PS and have Aperture keep track of it without putting the burden on the user. As it was mentioned, if you have special needs like stitching together panoramics, or creating HDR composites you will need to export the groups of files you need to work in PS and re-import your finished piece. Again, try different things and see what works best for you.

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 21, 2011
                      to all interested in workflow:

                      Whats interesting is what forms our wrkflws. I export then re-import probably because I started with AP1.5 where round tripping was slow, my files where large 16bit, and my mac was old and tired. Now that I run on 8g ram I will have to try round tripping again. And since I generate a whole new image it deserves a new name. Also, I use to shut down Aperture to work in PS to save on ram issues. Now that my environment (newer mac) has changed for the better I still do what I've been doing. I like it and I have a no brainer workflow which is what makes a good wrkflw. No brainer = automatic standardization

                      Maybe not the fastest.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 21, 2011
                        I agree!

                        Also, it is important to realize that half of Aperture's power is it's ability to work as your librarian software for organizing and key wording all your photos. In addition to it's own quite impressive adjustment and retouching capabilities Aperture will also act as a host for some powerful plugins. In this case it mimics the round tripping approach with PhotoShop but stays within Aperture, creates a copy of the original to tweak within the plugin, then saves it right back to the project. I use one excellent plugin called Viveza quite a lot which ironically cost as much as Aperture itself (well worth it).

                        Just to clarify:
                        1. All my comments are based upon having my original files stored within Aperture library itself rather than referenced (I have no idea how it works if you do not do that).

                        2. It is possible to do a pseudo round trip of multiple images into PhotoShop to create panoramas or HDR compilations in which case only the new image gets saved from PS outside of Aperture and needs to be imported back into your project. The individual source images which are copies of the originals created when you chose to '"edit in PhotoShop" will get round tripped right back into Aperture.

                        3. If you do all the tweaking to the individual source images in Aperture before combining them into a new image, another option would be to export the source images from Aperture, do your work in PS to build the compilation, and then import only the final image back into Aperture. You could then discard the exported working copies of the source images since the originals are already in your Aperture library. This makes for less import/export and keeps the total number of images in the library down.

                        George