backups when using Aperture referenced files on external drive

  • Tim O'Donoghue
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2011
      Hi All;

      I've recently started using Aperture on my MacBook Pro.

      I have 3 libraries:

      1. local library with local files - very small, used only for ad hoc editing on the road.
      2. working library with referenced files on a 500 GB external FireWire drive HFS formatted - used for current projects and some recent shoots
      3. main library with referenced files contained on an external 1 TB HFS SATA drive with all photos since 1999 - archives, rarely used items, etc.

      This morning when I was ready to go to work I dismounted the drive in 3. above.  I had been working on an old photo.

      When I got to work, I started my usual backup of the boot drive using a FireWire drive, but if failed at the end, unable to complete. I checked the drive with Disk Warrior and Disk Util (all OK), repaired permissions, etc. All appeared fine. I erased the previous backup and started again, and it failed again at the end of 300 gb. This time it referred to the drive that I used this morning  (3.)

      Here's the question ... should I open a local library in aperture before trying to back up the drive? Does Aperture somehow leave hooks into the drive where the referenced files reside even though it has been correctly dismounted and Aperture closed normally?

      Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

      Tim