deleting duplicate photos

  • nhoward5040
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 2010
      I am still using Aperture 2, on a Macbook Pro running snow leopard. I generally only look at and examine my projects (with folders and albums contained in them). The other day I took a look at my All Photos (in the library) and found that I had lots and lots of duplicates, and many triplicates of my photos (which don't show up in my albums). I have no idea how I got so many of them, but they must add up to hundreds if not a thousand or so.

      I have started deleting the extras. Then I noticed that many of them are the original photo next to its edited photo. Is that normal? I thought that the originals were hidden somewhere and only the edited versions were in the library. Is this wrong? Should both of them be in the library? And, if I have deleted many of the unedited photos, have I eliminated the masters? Will my versions still be accessible, or am I ruining their presence by deleting the master (if indeed they are the masters). I realize that there are programs for deleting duplicates, but they are kind of expensive, except for Duplicate Annihilator, which won't run on Aperture 2.)

      Please advise. Thanks for any help.

      Nancy
    • Keven Fedirko
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2010
        "normal" depends on how the preferences are setup, but I think by
        default it wants to make a duplicate. Most of the edits are
        non-destructive, so I have it setup, so only external edits create
        another file (or reference). Be very, very careful in what you think
        is the original vs the duplicate and/or why. Showing the meta data
        pane can help you sort out some of it, although it will be a bit
        harder to recognize what is what [unless you pre-name your files
        before import].

        Apertures virtual duplicates don't take up any space (they are just
        pointers with meta data changes for cropping, retouch strokes,
        exposure adjustments, etc.), but photoshop edits create huge new
        files even if you don't "do anything to the picture".

        k.
      • iconimage2002
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2010
          Nancy,

          Try searching for the files you want to keep using various criteria. If Aperture has made a version of the original it ads "version" to the name. A quick search for the image names contaning "version" will reveal these duplicates. If you shoot raw try searching for .CR2 or NEF files to find your originals. Keep searching by size or date created etc. if you need to dig deeper. Hopefully, this will reveal most if not all of your duplicates. If this is an ongoing problem for you, check the Aperture preferences and make sure the selection to automatically create a new version when adjustments are made is off. Since Aperture is non destructive so you probably won't need this turned on, and you can choose to make a duplicate version as needed.

          Paul Daniels
          Icon Image, Inc.

          --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "nhoward5040" <lists5040@...> wrote:

          > I am still using Aperture 2, on a Macbook Pro running snow leopard. I generally only look at and examine my projects (with folders and albums contained in them). The other day I took a look at my All Photos (in the library) and found that I had lots and lots of duplicates, and many triplicates of my photos (which don't show up in my albums). I have no idea how I got so many of them, but they must add up to hundreds if not a thousand or so.
          >
          > I have started deleting the extras. Then I noticed that many of them are the original photo next to its edited photo. Is that normal? I thought that the originals were hidden somewhere and only the edited versions were in the library. Is this wrong? Should both of them be in the library? And, if I have deleted many of the unedited photos, have I eliminated the masters? Will my versions still be accessible, or am I ruining their presence by deleting the master (if indeed they are the masters). I realize that there are programs for deleting duplicates, but they are kind of expensive, except for Duplicate Annihilator, which won't run on Aperture 2.)
          >
          > Please advise. Thanks for any help.
          >
          > Nancy

        • nhoward5040
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20, 2010
            Thanks for the replies.

            I do have a question about the master files - are they in a separate folder or are they in the "all photos" library? (If they are in a separate folder, where is it?)

            Also, if I click on the metadata for a photo in the library, will it say master instead of version? If i edit a master, are both in the library, or just the version? If I delete a version just like another version, does that affect the master?

            Nancy

            --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "iconimage2002" <iconstock@...> wrote:

            > Nancy,
            >
            > Try searching for the files you want to keep using various criteria. If Aperture has made a version of the original it ads "version" to the name. A quick search for the image names contaning "version" will reveal these duplicates. If you shoot raw try searching for .CR2 or NEF files to find your originals. Keep searching by size or date created etc. if you need to dig deeper. Hopefully, this will reveal most if not all of your duplicates. If this is an ongoing problem for you, check the Aperture preferences and make sure the selection to automatically create a new version when adjustments are made is off. Since Aperture is non destructive so you probably won't need this turned on, and you can choose to make a duplicate version as needed.
            >
            > Paul Daniels
            > Icon Image, Inc.
            >
            > --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "nhoward5040" <lists5040@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am still using Aperture 2, on a Macbook Pro running snow leopard. I generally only look at and examine my projects (with folders and albums contained in them). The other day I took a look at my All Photos (in the library) and found that I had lots and lots of duplicates, and many triplicates of my photos (which don't show up in my albums). I have no idea how I got so many of them, but they must add up to hundreds if not a thousand or so.
            > >
            > > I have started deleting the extras. Then I noticed that many of them are the original photo next to its edited photo. Is that normal? I thought that the originals were hidden somewhere and only the edited versions were in the library. Is this wrong? Should both of them be in the library? And, if I have deleted many of the unedited photos, have I eliminated the masters? Will my versions still be accessible, or am I ruining their presence by deleting the master (if indeed they are the masters). I realize that there are programs for deleting duplicates, but they are kind of expensive, except for Duplicate Annihilator, which won't run on Aperture 2.)
            > >
            > > Please advise. Thanks for any help.
            > >
            > > Nancy

          • iconimage2002
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 22, 2010
              Nancy,

              WARNING! Resist the temptation to go behind Aperture's back to move or delete files at the folder level!!!! Aperture has all the tools you need to manage your files without going into the folder structure which is deep. You have the option of bringing the files into Aperture as "Managed" or keeping them on an external drive as "Referenced" when importing. There is lots of information about this in the Aperture help menu and the web which you can easily find including the badges that indicate if the files are managed or referenced. What you are experiencing is not unusual and is fixable. Just take your time and consider it a learning experience as you go. I would suggest first doing a backup using Aperture's vault, so you have the option of restoring your data if by remote chance things go haywire. If you are unsure about whether or not to delete certain images, tag them with a unique keyword or label, then hide them using ratings or smart lists. They will take up some storage space, but will be out of sight and can be called back into service at a later date if they are needed. As a suggestion you may want to consider applying a keyword like "master" before you do anything else while importing or right after, so you'll always know which one's are the originals. Don't lose sleep over this. You will work through it in time, and if you safely hide the ones you are considering to delete you won't be hurting anything. Just stay out of the folders and you'll be okay.

              Paul