v3.0.3 glacially slow

  • Keven Fedirko
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2010
      I upgraded hoping to see faster speed, but so far every part of the
      program that I've touched it vastly S L O W E R than version 2.1.4.
      Perhaps it's that I'm still running 10.5.8? (running an 8-core -
      2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon system with 13GB of RAM)

      Cropping, using the retouch brush (my typical small 20 pixels brush)
      takes perhaps 4, 6, 8x the time for each stroke to show up, zooming
      and panning at 1:1 pixels is not real-time anymore, there is a huge
      lag, and parts of the image are not refreshed, as well as a softening
      effect where a fresh part of the frame comes into view before it is
      re-rendered in full. Blech. Next to useless. I did see some
      mentions of fixes with "large images" - they are 24MP, but ... again
      the old version had no problems like this.

      v2.1.4 was great to incredible, I was hoping for incredible x2, but not crap.

      Trying to open an image in photoshop ... still has a progress bar,
      and I did that many, many mins ago, and started typing this email and
      it's still not done. Yikes. Un-usable is my experience so far. LOL.

      k.
    • Allan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2010
        Apart from working in Snow leopard, I have the same setup as yours but only 8GB RAM yet Aperture 3 runs very smoothly.

        Couple of things that spring to mind you could do to speed things up:

        1. Turn off Faces

        2 Clean out all your caches. If you are running the latest version of Aperture, delete all files in the following folders.
        Hard Drive/Library/Caches
        Hard Drive/System/Library/Caches
        Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Library/Caches

        3. Delete Aperture's preferences
        Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist

        (May be a good idea to keep a backup of these files just in case.)

        Restart your machine. This may be a little slower the first time as it rebuilds its cache, then try Aperture again.

        Allan Johns.

        On 26 Jun 2010, at 17:45, Keven Fedirko wrote:

        > I upgraded hoping to see faster speed, but so far every part of the
        > program that I've touched it vastly S L O W E R than version 2.1.4.
        > Perhaps it's that I'm still running 10.5.8? (running an 8-core -
        > 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon system with 13GB of RAM)
        >
        > Cropping, using the retouch brush (my typical small 20 pixels brush)
        > takes perhaps 4, 6, 8x the time for each stroke to show up, zooming
        > and panning at 1:1 pixels is not real-time anymore, there is a huge
        > lag, and parts of the image are not refreshed, as well as a softening
        > effect where a fresh part of the frame comes into view before it is
        > re-rendered in full. Blech. Next to useless. I did see some
        > mentions of fixes with "large images" - they are 24MP, but ... again
        > the old version had no problems like this.
        >
        > v2.1.4 was great to incredible, I was hoping for incredible x2, but not crap.
        >
        > Trying to open an image in photoshop ... still has a progress bar,
        > and I did that many, many mins ago, and started typing this email and
        > it's still not done. Yikes. Un-usable is my experience so far. LOL.
        >
        > k.

      • Pat Brug
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2010
          I have a similar setup (w/e of 4 core instead of 8 core), 12 GB Ram and 10.6, but I am not having any of the speed degradation problems that you've noticed. My Aperture library is on a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA disk (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=st31500341as-barracuda-7200-11-sata-32mb-c-1.5tb-hd&vgnextoid=511a8cf6a794b110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=47f281f8c0f43110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&reqPage=Model).

          Aperture 3.03 is very interactive w/o noticeable delays.

          Note: I used this same desktop for Aperture 2.1.4.

          Pat

          On Jun 26, 2010, at 9:25 PM, Allan wrote:

          > Apart from working in Snow leopard, I have the same setup as yours but only 8GB RAM yet Aperture 3 runs very smoothly.
          >
          > Couple of things that spring to mind you could do to speed things up:
          >
          > 1. Turn off Faces
          >
          > 2 Clean out all your caches. If you are running the latest version of Aperture, delete all files in the following folders.
          > Hard Drive/Library/Caches
          > Hard Drive/System/Library/Caches
          > Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Library/Caches
          >
          > 3. Delete Aperture's preferences
          > Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Aperture.plist
          >
          > (May be a good idea to keep a backup of these files just in case.)
          >
          > Restart your machine. This may be a little slower the first time as it rebuilds its cache, then try Aperture again.
          >
          > Allan Johns.
          >

          > On 26 Jun 2010, at 17:45, Keven Fedirko wrote:
          >
          >> I upgraded hoping to see faster speed, but so far every part of the
          >> program that I've touched it vastly S L O W E R than version 2.1.4.
          >> Perhaps it's that I'm still running 10.5.8? (running an 8-core -
          >> 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon system with 13GB of RAM)
          >>
          >> Cropping, using the retouch brush (my typical small 20 pixels brush)
          >> takes perhaps 4, 6, 8x the time for each stroke to show up, zooming
          >> and panning at 1:1 pixels is not real-time anymore, there is a huge
          >> lag, and parts of the image are not refreshed, as well as a softening
          >> effect where a fresh part of the frame comes into view before it is
          >> re-rendered in full. Blech. Next to useless. I did see some
          >> mentions of fixes with "large images" - they are 24MP, but ... again
          >> the old version had no problems like this.
          >>
          >> v2.1.4 was great to incredible, I was hoping for incredible x2, but not crap.
          >>
          >> Trying to open an image in photoshop ... still has a progress bar,
          >> and I did that many, many mins ago, and started typing this email and
          >> it's still not done. Yikes. Un-usable is my experience so far. LOL.
          >>
          >> k.

        • Keven Fedirko
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6, 2010
            I will give those suggestions a go. I could not live with that
            performance hit, so installed 10.6.3 and then patched it to the
            latest 10.6.4. Seems a fair bit better than my first experience, but
            still noticably slower than before, and 10.6.4 seems zippier