New to group and a ?

  • Sue Conant
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hi all,
      I'm new to your group.  I've used Aperture 2 for awhile and have a ?  When looking at the photos in the list view (looks like a spread sheet), I noticed that the camera lens used is not listed.  I've used a Nikon D2H, D300 and a D700 with all Nikon lenses.  But the lens doesn't show up in that column.  The camera settings, size etc. does, but not the actual lens name.  I see it in the data on Bridge but not in Aperture.  Is there a setting to be changed so this shows up?
      I'm on a Mac Pro, the latest Leopard OS, 8 gig of ram with a 30" screen.  I use Aperture, but also like NX2 and finish with CS4.  I've had Photo Shop for years.   I'm a semi-pro photographer that enjoys advancing with my hobby.  It will be interesting to see what the next Aperture is like.
      I'm also watching the iPad to see if you could use it when out taking photos to get a better idea of what the photos look like.  Even though they have enlarged the screen on the back of the camera, it still can't compare to something larger!

      Thanks in advance for any info.

      Sue
      Box Elder, SD
      NAPP Member

    • George Siede

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2010
          Thanks George,
          I checked and it was on expanded.  I can tell which lens I used by the focal length readings, but wondered if I could get the lens model to show up.  So far, no go.  Reading the focal lengths is especially interesting when using the DX camera.  Nothing changes when using the FF camera.  My hubby is ecstatic...he can use the D300 with the 70-200 2.8 VR lens with the 2X TC and get 600mm out of it.  He says, "Thanks for the pro lens".

          Sue
          Box Elder, SD
          NAPP Member

[...]

        • Keven Fedirko
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
            >I checked and it was on expanded. I can tell which lens I used by
            >the focal length readings, but wondered if I could get the lens
            >model to show up. So far, no go.

            "ah" - nope - or no way that I've been able to find in any program
            that I've looked at in the past 4 or 5 years. Why not? Seems like a
            pretty trivia problem to solve. Maybe nobody has requested that as a
            "feature". Try the Feedback option in Aperture - I've been
            pleasantly surprised in the past of obtuse feedback that I've given,
            has actually shown up in subsequent versions (making me think I was
            the ONLY person that could have possibly requested something like
            that).

            So, while that data would be useful, and hopefully simple to
            implement ... there are a handful of things I'd like to see added
            that would really impact my day-to-day use of aperture instead.

            :)

            k.
          • George Siede
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
              This feature is definately in Aperature and works with the Nikon D300.

              On Feb 5, 2010, at 4:04 AM, Keven Fedirko <kfedirko@...> wrote:

              >I checked and it was on expanded. I can tell which lens I used by
              >the focal length readings, but wondered if I could get the lens
              >model to show up. So far, no go.

              "ah" - nope - or no way that I've been able to find in any program
              that I've looked at in the past 4 or 5 years. Why not? Seems like a
              pretty trivia problem to solve. Maybe nobody has requested that as a
              "feature". Try the Feedback option in Aperture - I've been
              pleasantly surprised in the past of obtuse feedback that I've given,
              has actually shown up in subsequent versions (making me think I was
              the ONLY person that could have possibly requested something like
              that).

              So, while that data would be useful, and hopefully simple to
              implement ... there are a handful of things I'd like to see added
              that would really impact my day-to-day use of aperture instead.

              :)

              k.

            • NOPUFFIN
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2010
                --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, George Siede <xorge@...> wrote:

                > This feature is definately in Aperature and works with the Nikon D300.
                >

                > On Feb 5, 2010, at 4:04 AM, Keven Fedirko <kfedirko@...> wrote:
                >
                > > >I checked and it was on expanded. I can tell which lens I used by
                > > >the focal length readings, but wondered if I could get the lens
                > > >model to show up. So far, no go.
                > >
                > > "ah" - nope - or no way that I've been able to find in any program
                > > that I've looked at in the past 4 or 5 years. Why not? Seems like a
                > > pretty trivia problem to solve. Maybe nobody has requested that as a
                > > "feature". Try the Feedback option in Aperture - I've been
                > > pleasantly surprised in the past of obtuse feedback that I've given,
                > > has actually shown up in subsequent versions (making me think I was
                > > the ONLY person that could have possibly requested something like
                > > that).
                > >
                > > So, while that data would be useful, and hopefully simple to
                > > implement ... there are a handful of things I'd like to see added
                > > that would really impact my day-to-day use of aperture instead.
                > >
                > > :)
                > >
                > > k.

                Hi everybody,

                I am new to this group too and would like to add that I also have the Lens
                model show up in my list view. Are you sure you are in EXIF Expanded in
                the Metadata preferences under list view? and have scrolled over to the right?
                Mine shows up in the 23 column. Just after the three lens columns. I am using
                a Canon 40D and my computer is a Powerbook G4 1.67gig

                Hope this helps,
                Norrie Johnson