Incredible slowness of Aperture

  • Victoria L. Herring
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2 3:49 AM
      on 80,000 images on internal drive in MacPro with 9G RAM and lots of
      space on drive and running 10.5.7 - previews size selected is
      smallest possible but it's taking forever to open and work with.
      Increasingly I have had to forcequit it because it stopped running.
      --
      Victoria L. Herring, Des Moines, Iowa. Blogs:
      http://blog.JourneyZing.com [photography];
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2 9:41 AM
        --- In aperture@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria L. Herring" <victoria@...> wrote:

        > on 80,000 images on internal drive in MacPro with 9G RAM and lots of
        > space on drive and running 10.5.7 - previews size selected is
        > smallest possible but it's taking forever to open and work with.
        > Increasingly I have had to forcequit it because it stopped running.
        > --
        > Victoria L. Herring, Des Moines, Iowa. Blogs:
        > http://blog.JourneyZing.com [photography];
        > http://www.herringlaw.com [civilrights/discrimination];
        > http://victorialherring.typepad.com/serendipity/ [personal].

        Victoria,

        Have you posted this performance issue on the Apple Aperture forum? If so, i would be interested in what you hear.

        Tim Burak
      • Mike Youngberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2 10:11 AM
          To decrease slowness... Try...

          1) Rebuild Aperture library (Hold down option while starting
          aperture; select rebuild)

          2) If you are running 10.5.7 on a Mac Pro with an ATI card (mine is
          X1900), "revert" to 10.5.6.

          Let us know what you do and how it works.
          -thanks, mike
          Mike Youngberg: youngberg101 AT sanbrunocable DOT com
          >>> Check out my church at http://www.hillsidecommunity.net
        • Victoria L. Herring
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2 2:23 PM
              I'll rebuild it = but you're right = I do have an ATY X1900 card and
              will revert, I guess....I might check with apple just in
              case...thanks much
              --
              Victoria L. Herring, Des Moines, Iowa. Blogs:
              http://blog.JourneyZing.com [photography];
              http://www.herringlaw.com [civilrights/discrimination];
              http://victorialherring.typepad.com/serendipity/ [personal].
            • Keven Fedirko
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2 4:18 PM
                >10.5.7

                I've had many issues of it not wanting to create exports (program
                crashes part way through) - my thought is the 10.5.7 update.

                Doesn't help us both any, but in your case, I would try and re-build
                the projects - I think it's holding down the option key at Aperture
                startup until it asks you to rebuild them.

                k.
              • George Siede
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3 7:15 AM
                  NOTE: You have to hold down both the option & command key at startup
                  to get the rebuild option.
                • Alex Rodriguez
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3 7:16 AM
                    Anyone know what in 10.5.7 is causing the issue?

                    On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:15 AM, George Siede <xorge@...> wrote:

                    NOTE: You have to hold down both the option & command key at startup
                    to get the rebuild option.

                    --
                    ALEX  RODRIGUEZ  PHOTOGRAPHY
                    studio 305-361-1992  |  toll free 888-815-0392  |  fax 305-361-1944